Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)
  • Debate on cyclists being forced to wear helmets on Radio 2 now
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“helmtes mess ur hair up. freemod of choice=MAX” 😀

acjim
    Free Member

Personally using a helmet offroad is a given – too many slow speed falls which could have ended in head injury to say otherwise. On the road I wear a lid too but mainly as I’ve fallen cornering a few times and was happy to have something on top to protect me if a curb had been in the way. If a car hits you then I’d doubt the lid would do much good – best to have lots of lights and ride defensively!

glenp
    Free Member

Convinced of that are you? What about the car that didn’t see you or the pedestrian walking out in front of you?

Yes. Completely convinced. I don’t live in town though, and wouldn’t take young kids on to a dangerous road.

When I myself ride or drive in town I most certainly do look at pedestrians to figure out if they’re going to step into the road – never ride in the edge of the road for that very reason, plus others.

buffalobill
    Free Member

A helmet is never going to be some sort of guaranteed head insurance. But given the fact I have to share the roads with a certain drivers who look less favourably on pedal power its worth it imo.

And I haven’t worked out how to attach my light to my head without the aid of said helmet…

porterclough
    Free Member

Making helmets compulsory will cause a drop in the number of cyclists, but the only thing that seems to improve cycling safety is having more bums on bikes….

That’s it precisely. Helmets are to prevent minor injuries, not to save your life when a car hits you, or to allow drivers a get out of jail card if you weren’t wearing one.

foxyrider
    Free Member

We are not talking about helmet or death are we here – its about helping to prevent injury – being hit by a car at 60mph will be fatal – helmet or not – being knocked of at 15-20mph by a car, pedestrian or just bad luck will result surely in less severe injuries on the whole – and thus it would be advisable to wear a helmet. also I don’t think there is good statistically sound research out there about cycle injuries (especially those not reported) and the wearing of helmets period! Just like wether to wear seat belts – before it was compsulary no one really used them so not much data to study? I am on the fence with helmets but if they were made a legal requirement I would not have a problem wearing mine all the time as I do anyway!

miketually
    Free Member

If your point is that failure to wear a helmet is taking an unnecessary risk then surely you should avoid mountain biking all together?

I was just going to say that.

What is more dangerous:

* me riding to work this morning without a helmet; or
    * someone getting rad air to the max dude while wearing a helmet?

Ban mountain biking, I say!

ransos
    Free Member

I’m pro-helmet but anti-compulsion. And this contributory negligence business is plain daft. If another driver hits me in my car, causing me injury, would a judge say “you should have been driving a volvo instead of a fiesta, it’s your own fault”? I think not…

crikey
    Free Member

Speaking completely honestly, I would wear one all the time if made to.

The main reason I don’t is because in the winter I hate all that ‘how do I keep my ears warm?’ faffing that helmets bring on; I’d rather just wear a hat. In summertime, I like to ride with the wind blowing through what’s left of my hair.

I remain to be convinced of the need for a helmet, but I think it’s a debate worth exploring, and one best done in a civilised, calm way, without all the ‘helmets will break your neck’ or ‘your brains will run out of your nose’ stuff.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I admire this man’s approach.

trailmonkey

No helmet and wrong side of the road. Anarchist.

porterclough
    Free Member

No helmet and wrong side of the road. Anarchist.

It’s worse than that, he’s rolled the wrong trouser leg up – clearly a Mason.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Its a motor scooter look its got an engine in the back – so def illegal as he’s a motorcyclist without a helmet – report him quick 😉

perks

brokeback mountain (biking)

MrK
    Free Member

i think everyone at radio 2 should wear helmets, not just cyclists…
    has anyone done that one yet?
    taxi!

aracer
    Free Member

Was that for concussion or a stitch-up

Both. I’m not disputing that a helmet would have helped decrease my injuries, simply that what many people think would have been a life threatening injury but for the helmet (due to the damage sustained to the helmet) often isn’t.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’m pro-helmet but anti-compulsion. And this contributory negligence business is plain daft. If another driver hits me in my car, causing me injury, would a judge say “you should have been driving a volvo instead of a fiesta, it’s your own fault”? I think not…

This is the main problem with it isn’t it? The idea that a victim is responsible for the severity of his injuries quickly becomes ridiculous. It’s hard to avoid the suspicion that in this case it’s underpinned by some unspoken belief that cyclists shouldn’t be on the roads, but if they want to try it, well, they’d better be prepared for the consequences of their foolish actions. As ransos says it’s hard to imagine the same logic being applied to drivers.

MrAgreeable

It’s hard to avoid the suspicion that in this case it’s underpinned by some unspoken belief that cyclists shouldn’t be on the roads

I would say that given how this was a Radio 2 debate, “unspoken” isn’t the word you’re looking for. 😉

zaskar
    Free Member

I shave my head so I enjoy wearing a helmet in winter to keep warm but in summer the vents are ace but the sun can burn so a helmet is always good.

Too many vents and you can get zebra stripes in sunny weather!

Helmet saved my life back in 1993-94 when I wore when cycling during A’levels. Slipped around the bend and fell flat and my head bounced off the tarmac.

I was lucky-my nose and head wouldn’t not have bounced-maybe squished or improved my face.

It was an old Bell thing worn in xc races-thank you Mum and thank god I ignored the people laughing at my bellend helmet.

God it was stuffy but as big as some of the werid ones that came out.

We don’t realise helmet design now is so excellent for fit and comfort-abit more shock absorption would be great.

aracer
    Free Member

Helmet saved my life back in 1993-94 when I wore when cycling during A’levels. Slipped around the bend and fell flat and my head bounced off the tarmac.

See my posts above.

zaskar
    Free Member

I agree with you partially Aracer but helmets have saved me from serious injury.

If a lorry was driven by the Terminator to stop me saving mankind then no helmet is gonna help.

It will reduce injury to an extent but also everyone reacts differently to an impact and also if the brain gets side ways compared to front and back -the blood vessels receive more shock andhence why boxers hit you sideways.

I think people should have a choice-but in Australia they made it a law to wear helmets which data proves that cycling was reduced after this law-correlation or just crap helmets?

I’d like to know how many xc riders wear knee armor? is it worth it at slow speeds or descents?

Needs a study.

But for an insurance company to reduce payout?-depends on the wording of laws-no law on helmets but did the rider try to reduce or increase care during riding?-snag.

We need a change in law and attitudes.

This is worse than why should I wear a seatbelt from the 80’s? -it’ll will help to save you but not 100% -nothing is.

Its your head-protect it if you can.

I love my helmet and wish I could polish it daily… 😈

IdleJon

I wonder how many people argue against helmets on here and then pad up for trailcentres?

(I almost rode into a grey haired old biddy who cycled across my path randomly last week – she was wearing a sombrero, I’m not joking.)

crikey
    Free Member

I wonder how many people argue against helmets on here and then pad up for trailcentres

Pad up? No way. Just no.

If I’m riding stuff I need to wear body armour for, I’m being a silly old man, and I should go and have a lie down.

miketually
    Free Member

lol

Helmet and gloves for MTBing. Helmet for long ‘proper’ rides on the road. Helmet for commuting on my MTB. No helmet for commuting on my girls’ bike.

JA
    Free Member

I don’t really understand why this debate still goes on. I mean, I understand why some people are against the compulsory wearing of helmets, but I just don’t get why you wouldn’t. A few years ago, whilst riding back from the LBS, I got hit-and-run(ed) whilst I was the right of way at a roundabout; slightly wet road, clear viz, about 1100hrs in the morning. I crossed the roundabout with all the rights in the world. Right up until some woman pulled out, sent me across the back of her car, *****d off down the road and left me in the middle of the road where a mercedes E-class nearly finished me off. I ejected over the bars (inverted) and landed on the back of my head on the kerb stone. There was literally not a lot of helmet left (cheers to Giro for the crash replacement…), but I was all but in-tact. The police wanted photos of it etc, due to the damage sustained, but ultimately, nothing further was done. I would literally not be here if I’d not been wearing the lid and have not and will not ever set out on my bike without one again.

We’ve all got stories of crashes, usually caused by running out of talent if we’re honest, but I have a slightly different take on it too. Whilst out riding with the wife (a doctor..) and a bunch of mates at Coed-y-Brenin some years ago, we stopped for a breather, away from the marked trail (but near a short-cut) as some lone rider, without a lid came by. As I said, we weren’t on the actual trail or blocking his route. We said ‘hi’ and exchanged the usual MBer pleasantries (mum always said manners cost nothing…). Waiting for a return of the salutations, we instead got a load of abuse hurled at us as we were apparently blocking the trail. This guy was clearly going at it, presumably getting his fix of exercise etc etc (not really interested), but riding a trail centre, alone, in the p*ssing rain, without a lid? That’s down-right irresponsible and selfish, because all of a sudden, your crash hasn’t just ruined your day; it’s ruined mine when I have to scrape you up off the floor, my wife has to deal with your cranial bleed and the forestry commission have to stretcher you off the hill. I’m fairly ‘live and let live’, but this really is one thing that ticks me off.
    Out.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I can think of two crashes (one at about 4x the 12mph people seem to be fixated upon) which would have been lights out.

First was rlling down some big rock steps in the Lakes, didn quite get the weight in the right place adn was going a bit quick so the front wheel went under, I went over, and headbutted a rock, i actualy saw it coming and tucked my head in to aim my helmet at it rather than my face!

Second was bamford clogh, sily speed, flipped, again headfirst into the ground watching bits of helmet fly past.

And a few other minor ones where I’ve just tombled over and glanced my head against a rock.

Anyone not wearng one is earing their right to a darwin award.

miketually
    Free Member

I was all but in-tact

I would literally not be here if I’d not been wearing the lid and have not and will not ever set out on my bike without one again.

If you had hit your head hard enough to have died, you would have had some head injuries even though wearing a helmet. Concussion, at least.

miketually
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – whether to wear a helmet while MTBing and whether to wear one for all cycling are two rather different issues. Clearly, while riding off-road over rocks, there’s a good chance that you’ll have exactly the type of accident against which a helmet is of some use. Get hit by a bus and the internal injuries will mean that a helmet probably wouldn’t be much use.

miketually
    Free Member

The thing which would make the biggest difference to safety on the roads is getting more people cycling. The thing which is a big factor in people not cycling is the perceived danger, which is increased through increased helmet-wearing.

druidh
    Free Member

Remind me – what are the accident statistics for bikes in, say, Amsterdam?

And what proportion of riders wear helmets?

miketually
    Free Member

Remind me – what are the accident statistics for bikes in, say, Amsterdam?

And what proportion of riders wear helmets?

Yep, there’s no link between numbers wearing helmets and numbers of head injuries.

IdleJon

(one at about 4x the 12mph people seem to be fixated upon)

If I read this correctly, you were doing 48mph, on a mtb?

Fair play to you – I’ve only slightly more than that on a road bike down Ventoux.

druidh
    Free Member

I bet there’s a link between numbers of cyclists and numbers or accidents involving cyclists – inverse of course.

IdleJon

thisisnotaspoon – whether to wear a helmet while MTBing and whether to wear one for all cycling are two rather different issues. Clearly, while riding off-road over rocks, there’s a good chance that you’ll have exactly the type of accident against which a helmet is of some use. Get hit by a bus and the internal injuries will mean that a helmet probably wouldn’t be much use.

Although fracturing your skull against the road because you’ve just been knocked off in a slow speed collision by someone pulling out on you can’t be much fun.

sq225917
    Free Member

Never owned a helmet and never will.

Yup i wear a seatbelt, always have, nothing to do with the laws, there is no downside to wearing one.

Helmets, well it’s a constant reminder that i might fall off and land on my head. too bloody hot, and here’s the real reason, I’ve never found one that doesn’t sit roughly 30 degrees across my bonce, yeh yeh, spaz head boy. No amount of foam padding makes any difference, i’d need one made to fit. and still probably wouldn’t wear one.

I wear gloves when i ride, and shin-knee pads when downhilling… What’s that you say, you downhill without a helmet? ‘**** A’ I do and have done for 20+ years. Sure I know i can’t take the risk of running bar breaking drops, naturally i’d rip my head clean off if i impacted my bars, but that doesn’t stop hurtling down anything vaguely human without my helmet.

Race down Stanage path anyone?

gohan
    Free Member

one of the guys i know from cov was out on his road bike and hit a rather large hole in the road and went over the bars, he was not weaing a helmet, he spent 4 years in and out of hospital having his eye socket, jaw and the rest of his face rebuilt as well as a long stint in a coma after the accident, the doctors said if he had been wearing a helmet he would be dead due to the way his brain swelled up etc, another guy who was wearing a helmet got tagged by a car and went head first into a curb, coma for a few weeks, severe memory loss, nothing broken tho……… moral of the stories, if its a big one and you land on your head your f****D. if its a small one it might just save your life or it might kill you, thats the truth, the debate will always go on,

i wear a lid to keep the g/f happy, if i have a big crash im aware that im goin to be in pain if its my fault or not. each to your own till brown decides,

IdleJon

I wear gloves when i ride, and shin-knee pads when downhilling… What’s that you say, you downhill without a helmet? ‘**** A’ I do and have done for 20+ years. Sure I know i can’t take the risk of running bar breaking drops, naturally i’d rip my head clean off if i impacted my bars, but that doesn’t stop hurtling down anything vaguely human without my helmet.

Another potential nominee for the Darwin Awards?

aracer
    Free Member

gohan – Member
    one of the guys i know from cov was out on his road bike and hit a rather large hole in the road and went over the bars, he was not weaing a helmet…

Wow, that one certainly didn’t turn out the way I was expecting!

but riding a trail centre, alone, in the p*ssing rain, without a lid? That’s down-right irresponsible and selfish, because all of a sudden, your crash hasn’t just ruined your day; it’s ruined mine when I have to scrape you up off the floor, my wife has to deal with your cranial bleed and the forestry commission have to stretcher you off the hill.

Though you wouldn’t have been upset at him doing all that if he’d had a lid on, despite the fact it would have made very little difference to the chances of you being inconvenienced by having to help out after he had a big stack?

sq225917
    Free Member

Idlejohn, you’re either on control or your not, some people don’t seem to be able to understand that, it’s all about riding within the conditions and your skill level, protection worn.

julianwilson
    Free Member

IdleJon – Member

(I almost rode into a grey haired old biddy who cycled across my path randomly last week – she was wearing a sombrero, I’m not joking.)

was this in leicestershire and was she on a trike? Sounds like mrs julian’s grandma, who was even been sighted on one occasion in the village wearing one sombrero on top of another sombrero.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Debate on cyclists being forced to wear helmets on Radio 2 now’ is closed to new replies.