Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Death on Latrigg nr Keswick
  • Trekster

Just on Border news 🙁
    http://www.itv.com/news/border/

Drac

Yeah on BBC news. Not many details as don’t suppose they know what happened yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-18507593

flatfish
    Free Member

Was it Latrigg or Lonscale Crags?

TomB

Horrible, one of my evening pootles….

MAN DIES AFTER LAKE DISTRICT FALL
    Published at 15:52, Tuesday, 19 June 2012
    A 64-year-old man has died after falling up to 200 metres (660 feet) while mountain biking near Keswick.

Michael Farthing, of Woodside Cottages, Penrith, had been cycling at Latrigg, Underskiddaw, on Monday.

Emergency services were called shortly after 12noon when Mr Farthing’s bike was found by a member of a public. He could be seen down a steep slope, say police.

Keswick Mountain Rescue Team and an air ambulance attended the scene but Mr Farthing was pronounced dead.

Police say there are no suspicious circumstances. The case will be passed to the coroner.

(news and star)

Condolences to all who knew him.

flatfish
    Free Member

Latrigg’s not that steep to fall 200 metre’s. Hence my question.

Ride in peace

allthegear
    Free Member

Terrible news. Thinking of the family…

flatfish is right, though – I can’t think where it would be possible to fall 200m around there.

Rachel

grum
    Free Member

Very sad – RIP.

Does sound more like Lonscale fell to me – can’t think where on Latrigg you could fall like that.

boxelder

I lost a bike off Lonscale in the early 90’s and it must have gone nearly 150m. Guess I fell the right way.
    RIP

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Really sad, R.I.P.

matt_outandabout

😕 I was at school with a Farthing family in Penrith, and that is about the right age for thier dad.
    As above, oddly long fall at Latrigg…Lonscale with ‘the awkward step’ would be more likely…

🙁

rickmeister

Thats desperate.. I just lost a friend. I worked with Mike at Outward Bound Ullswater…

montylikesbeer

Very sad , RIP

rickmeister

Another for Lonscale, it is a big steep drop to the beck and a long roll if you dont stop quickly….

boxelder

I worked with Mike at Outward Bound Ullswater…

Oh no – it was that Mike?
    🙁

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Very sad. A memorable bit of trail too. Next time I ride that I’ll be thinking of Mike…

ton

very sad news. R.I.P

rickmeister

Boxelder, yes, it was . Often going by the name of “Wade Garret” due to the uncanny likeness from the film “Roadhouse”…

I have passed this sad news on to Tim Jones too… he is out in Germany…

smogmonster

RIP. Very sad news. Ive rode that track many times, and have always treated the crag with the respect it should get, makes me thankful i did.

lowey

Terrible news. RIP.

justatheory
    Free Member

Horrible news. Don’t know why, but it seems to resonate more when you know the place.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Awful news, condolences to family and friends.
    Was up that way yesterday and agree with what justatheory said having seen, in the past, a couple of bikers rescued by Keswick Mountain Rescue off Lonscale.
    *shudders*

Dobbo

From KMRT website.

Glendaterra Terrace A walking group came across a mountain bike lying on the path above the steep rocky section. Looking over the edge, they could see the rider approximately 150 m down a rocky gorge. They called for assistance and one of the party managed to climb down by a different route, where he found the 64 year old rider suffering from serious multiple injuries. Despite the swift arrival of the Team and the Great North Ambulance, the casualty succumbed to his injuries. A helicopter from RAF Boulmer also assisted with evacuating the casualty.

His car is still parked on the slip road to Threlkeld with a police aware sticker on it. 😥

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Death on Latrigg nr Keswick’ is closed to new replies.