Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Death of a legend. RIP Ray
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22441567

Visual effects master Ray Harryhausen, whose stop-motion wizardry graced such films as Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans, has died aged 92.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Watched some (in hindsight) terrible films in order to watch the jerky monsters do stuff. Still makes me smile now and if any of those films are on and I spot them I still watch a few minutes now just to relive it 🙂

Will be a slightly more wistful smile now…

grum
    Free Member

Jason and the Argonauts was one of my favourite films as a kid – still something about some of that animation that looks much more real than a lot of modern CGI.

matthewjb
    Free Member

So many great films.

Pixar were big fans. Lovely tribute in Monsters Inc

DezB
    Free Member

Man was a genius.. RIP.

johndoh
    Free Member

Gotta agree – Jason and the Argonauts was a great film.

Seemed to remember it being on every Christmas Eve afternoon as a kid.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Seemed to remember it being on every Christmas Eve afternoon as a kid.

It was that or Sinbad

athgray
    Free Member

Agree with sentiments above. His work was the highlight of many pretty poor films. Jason And The Argonauts is a terrific film though.

plumber
    Free Member

Jason n’t’argonuts as it was called in my house – scary and genius

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nothing terrible about his films at all, I still enjoy them.

tjx79
    Free Member

His animated skeletons fascinated me as a kid. They still do.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

RIP – loved the films as a kid. Worked in a cinema at school and a Ray Harryhausen film was standard fare for the Saturday matinee.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Another brick in my cultural wall gone.

petergee
    Free Member

One of the greats. I watched Jason & The Argonauts just last year, some 35 years after the first time it gripped me. It’s still a joy to watch. It’s a shame about Ray…but 92 is a good innings and his work will thrill for years to come.

mt
    Free Member

Heard the report on radio 4 this morning. what a great guy. they played an interview with him from a couple of years ago, really interesting. His view was take any model or pupit and make it entertaining, it does not have to be perfect just tell the story. He referenced Kermit and Thunderbirds. That fight seen with the skeletons scared the s..t out of me when I first saw it. It seems he did everything himself. Brilliant.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I love his stuff; grew up on all that. Animation at it’s best and none of that cgi nonsense!

Cougar

Just heard this news. I was moved a little bit.

Pigface
    Free Member

A very clever talented man

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Death of a legend. RIP Ray’ is closed to new replies.