Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Death of 26ers ??
  • mogrim

Bar ends & skinny bars are good for racing, but no good for a typical ride which would involve more gnarly terrain & jumps/drops, so cart wheels would not be better for most people, as most people don't race

Most people? I doubt it – I'd have thought the majority of mountain bikes are sold via supermarkets and Halfords to people who use them for riding around the park and commuting, both of which are ideal for 29ers.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

This is plain silly no one argues you should use a small frame for cross country racing as it lighter.

Surely different wheels will fit different riders and terrain.

miketually
    Free Member

Bar ends & skinny bars are good for racing, but no good for a typical ride which would involve more gnarly terrain & jumps/drops, so cart wheels would not be better for most people, as most people don't race

The MTBing done by "most people" would be fine on a 29er, even if they think they're doing gnarly stuff.

(Actually, most people MTBing are riding very tame stuff very slowly, and a 29er would work for them too.)

MrAgreeable

I don't know how much abuse 29ers can take – I'd be interested to see how bikes like the Banshee Paradox get on in the real world. However I think you are a bit out of touch with what many people are getting up to on their mountain bikes these days. There's also the random factor that comes with trying new stuff. I've never done any jumps or drops over a few feet in height, but that's quite enough to bust spokes or trash hubs on a 26" wheel if you don't get it right.

keavo
    Free Member

they are harder to fit in the car, i had to buy an ugly skoda roomster. so now i have a shit bike and a shit car, but there both faster than my old ones;-)

kennyp
    Free Member

I don't like 29ers because they don't look right. Simple as that.

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

I thought the main advantage of two wheel sizes is that bike fit is easier if the rider is on the short or tall side…

/could be wrong.
    //you know I'm not.

Dougal
    Free Member

I'll maybe get a 29er for racing when I grow about 8", same for most folks methinks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oh great – an argument about nothing with added tripe being posted.

can I join in? I've never even seen a 29r 🙂

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Crikey next they'll be saying I need more than 21 gears

Northwind

Since racing's completely irrelevant to most mtb riders, trends in the sort of bikes racers ride are probably equally irrelevant to the bikes we're going to ride.

markenduro
    Free Member

I own 2 29ers and a 26er and can see the advantages of both sizes. On the open flowing trails the 29er is without doubt a fair bit faster (getting scientific here!!) but as soon as you get into the tight and twisty stuff the 26er beats it hands down on the ability tturn quicker. I predict both sizes will carry on for a long time without being killed off.
    Think about how many bikes are made in the world, the high end stuff (which includes 29ers as they are still fairly specilist kit)must account for a very low % figure of all bikes sold, it would be interesting to see the average price of all bikes sold in the world, I reckon it would be about £150, and most of them will have 26" wheels.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

markenduro – Member

…………….. it would be interesting to see the average price of all bikes sold in the world, I reckon it would be about £150, and most of them will have 26" wheels.

I reckon more like £30 and 27 " wheels – think China and India – two very big populations who use old skool bikes a lot. 12 million bicycles a year in india

Just guessing tho

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I am acquiring the bits to build up a rigid bike with 24" wheels and Alfine 8 speed hub gears for messing about in the woods. Will anyone speak to me if my wheels are too small.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Isnt it obvious we should all be using 650b then, a comprimise for all….

bonesetter
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – Member

I don't know how much abuse 29ers can take – I'd be interested to see how bikes like the Banshee Paradox get on in the real world. However I think you are a bit out of touch with what many people are getting up to on their mountain bikes these days. There's also the random factor that comes with trying new stuff. I've never done any jumps or drops over a few feet in height, but that's quite enough to bust spokes or trash hubs on a 26" wheel if you don't get it right.

Is the point you're making about the frames or the wheels not being up to it, as you seem to be saying both? Only askin'

I would think both are designed with the real world in mind, and as such would stand up to the same kind of 'abuse' a 26er would. Of course you pick your weapon for the intentioned terrain

RRD
    Free Member

I recently test rode a 29" FS and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. It really did "flow" over smaller obstacles. I was bracing my arms in preparation for the trail however this was completely uneccessary with the 29" FS as it smoothed out the trail. I'll quantify this by saying the ride was not technical in any sense of the word.

However my normal 26" (a blur LT) encourages me to try stuff beyond my ability. It is more fun chucking it around and to be honest probably what I want out of a FS.

If I was to purchase a 29" bike I'd go for a hardtail as I reckon that's were you see the greatest advantage of the bigger wheels… Worryingly I suppose that means I agree with the original article!

CountZero

Keva – Member
    well Im never gonna be riding a 29er, Im 5'4". The front wheel is nearly chest high. They're built for those giraffe type people.
    K

you'll be wanting a 650B, then. Perfect compromise. I was riding a 650b wheeled bike in the woods forty years ago.
    FWIW, a mate who works in a Bike Shop in Bath has been selling quite a few 29ers, five in one week, fairly recently. He's been riding a Gary Fisher 29er a lot in the FoD and on the Welsh trails, and recons that they're ideal for most regular trail riding, especially where it's rocky and rooty..

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Death of 26ers ??’ is closed to new replies.