Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Dear Singletrackworld
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Please put the login box back on the left.

Thank you.

wwaswas

I spenty some time looking for it too. I’m coping now, though.

DezB
    Free Member

Heard of cookies?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Heard of cookies?

Ooh, and it’s tea time!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Heard of cookies?

I use it to navigate to ‘Forum activity’. Cookies wouldn’t help me there.

Jamie
    Free Member

I prefer it on the left as well.

Reluctant
    Free Member

It’s just what you’re used to……who moved my cheese? 😆

z1ppy

I was lost for a while then re-discovered it, but have come attuned to it sitting onthe left.

Anyone else having weirdness with the page display of “1 and 2” at the bottom of the page on multi-page threads? Sometimes fine, other times all squished together…

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Have you tried dragging it back over to the left side?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

but on the left, adverts often sat over the top of it

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Wow – that took over a day before anyone complained! Thought I had got away with it.

The log in link is where is’s always been (though that will be changing soon). However I have moved the logged in drop-down menu over the the right.

The impetus for this was that a few flash ads we are running were floating in front of the menu meaning users couldn’t get to the links. Normally we can sort this out with a few settings changes. However that wasn’t a route open to us for these new ads.

I made the decision to move it to the right as this would largely overcome the problem without too radical change.

I also would argue that the top right account management menu has become a “web convention” and that is where most users would look first.

I relatively new here, would you find it helpful I were to blog about changes to the site so as to improve communications?

Jamie
    Free Member

Adverts influencing design choices?

Slippery slope 😉

soma_rich
    Free Member

Patrick I think it works better on mobile devices in Dolphin when clicking on my account I would often go the advertisers site.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

By the way – if anyone is having “Cookie Issues” we’ve set up a handy link to delete all your STW cookies in one go

singletrackworld.com/clearcookies.php

wwaswas

Anyone else having weirdness with the page display of “1 and 2” at the bottom of the page on multi-page threads? Sometimes fine, other times all squished together…

*waves*

Jamie
    Free Member

Yup.

ART

Hi Patrick .. blog away although popping up on the inevitable thread is just as good. On the right is fine, still looking in the wrong place, but will no doubt chill into it …. but

*waves*

plus 1 – that’s actually more annoying … 😉

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Hi Jamie – by all means have a chat with our Jamie and he can sort out removing those icky ads for you or head over to self service /Subscribe

soma_rich – stage 2 involves making the menus a but more touch friendly as mobile/tablet becoming a large part of our usage.

Jamie
    Free Member

While I have your ear, any word on a mobile version of the site or even a tapatalk-like option?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Wow – that took over a day before anyone complained! Thought I had got away with it.

The log in link is where is’s always been (though that will be changing soon). However I have moved the logged in drop-down menu over the the right.

The impetus for this was that a few flash ads we are running were floating in front of the menu meaning users couldn’t get to the links. Normally we can sort this out with a few settings changes. However that wasn’t a route open to us for these new ads.

I made the decision to move it to the right as this would largely overcome the problem without too radical change.

I also would argue that the top right account management menu has become a “web convention” and that is where most users would look first.

I relatively new here, would you find it helpful I were to blog about changes to the site so as to improve communications?

I agree convention does say top right and I can see why you argue that, but where it was (directly above the forum navigation) was more natural in this particular forum simply because of the design and where the user is likely to be hovering in order to navigate into sections. And when viewing on a mobile device I now need to scroll to get to it whereas before I didn’t.

I can see your point regarding the Flash ads though – they were a bit of an inconvenience sometimes.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

The pagination issue is a bit of a wierd one and I’m still trying to get to the bottom of it in between other jobs. It’s not all the multi page threads so once I can work out what the difference is I’ll get it fixed.

Cougar

Animated adverts (ie, Flash) are bloody annoying. Sorry. (Come to that, animated anything on a web page is annoying. Books don’t wiggle about when you’re trying to read them(*)

Login on the left, login on the right, meh, who logs out anyway, care more.

Blog good, communication good. Users tend to be (slightly) less whiny if you keep up the false pretence that their needs and opinions are in any way interesting or relevant.(**)

Re: subscriptions; my other half already subscribes and, lovely though the magazine is and all, I’m not about to take out a second subscription when we already have one.

(*) – unless you’re reading the Karma Sutra.
    (**) – oh.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Hi Jamie and mastiles_fanylion,
    Yes a mobile version(s) STW is something I want to do teh main issues are:
    [list]
    [*]Finding the time to completely redesign the site[/*]
    [*]Working out a model for selling ads for the mobile version[/*]
    [/list]

As an ad supported site I need to ensure the ads can be accommodated.
    We could do it just for Premier users and then we wouldn’t have to worry about the ads – not sure how that would make the rest of you feel.

The issue is the same for allowing chat client access eg Tapatalk

Who would pay for the lost ad revenue – And honestly, without the ads I wouldn’t be here to maintain the site.

Cougar

There’s a difference, perhaps, between a mobile-optimised site and a mobile-compatible one?

As an ad supported site I need to ensure the ads can be accommodated.

How about having a ‘site donations’ option? I’m not about to pony for a second subscription, but I’d probably Paypal the price of a pint towards the upkeep of the site occasionally.

(You’d sure as hell get more money from me that way than by any revenue you’d gain from me by plastering the site with adverts, anyway)

Stoner
    Free Member

We could do it just for Premier users and then we wouldn’t have to worry about the ads – not sure how that would make the rest of you feel.

stuff ’em and get coding!

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Hi Cougar, Yes but both require time to develop. I’ll be incrementally changing things as we go along so do let me know if anything I do screws things up.

Anyway – I’ve been here since early – it’s Friday – I’m off home.

See you all bright and breezy on Monday

xiphon
    Free Member

Cougar – definitely with you on that idea.

Drac

Caught me out yesterday too me ages to find it. Then I hit myself for being so dumb and not noticing it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Does it need a mobile site? Viewing It quite nicely on Desire now, although annoying now that you have to scroll to the right to get
    the forum activity bit.

I guess its a cunning ploy to get you to look at the adds which are currently pleasingly hidden when you use a mobile.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Last thought – Last time I went for a pint it cost me more than a few months digital sub (a snip at 1.25 per month)

Drac

I’m not about to pony for a second subscription, but I’d probably Paypal the price of a pint towards the upkeep of the site occasionally.

You can currently from the Classifieds. The amount received though is tiny, even more so when you consider people sell cars and vans on their for several £k. The occasional donation is the problem it would have to be a steady income, the ads as Patrick mentions pay wages and up keep of the site.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think you should look at having a responsive site that optimises content based on the resolution and orientation of the device.

portlyone

I second the Desire post above, I use that option quite a lot. Writing responses can get a bit tricky though with emoticons being hidden and the tool buttons acting a bit strange in general.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think you should look at having a responsive site that optimises content based on the resolution and orientation of the device.

Wow ! That sounds great I’m going to use that tonight!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

It’s better where it is now. Thanks.

Sandwich

I agree with Stoner. Get coding!

RichJJ
    Free Member

……who moved my cheese?

funny how 4 words can take you back to a 3 day course 10 years ago with too much to drink each night 😯

druidh
    Free Member

Perfect where it is – thanks.

Mark

We’ve had a total of… er… nil by way of donations through the classifieds in the last 4 weeks. Meanwhile the ads have paid the wages of 11 staff 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Dear Singletrackworld’ is closed to new replies.