Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Dear Singletrack powers that be…..
  • lucien

Is posting a video of London Couriers breaking all sorts of traffic laws (in mid-week mini movies) helpful to the cycling community, as by posting it as viewing pleasure it condones their behaviour?

Jamie
    Free Member

Thank you for drawing my attention to this video. I will now go and watch it, and forward it to my friends.

Down with this sort of thing!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is commenting on a magazines forum you dont subscribe to really ok ?

FWIW i tend to agree with you

stilltortoise
    Free Member

It’s an awful video. I gave up half way in and surprised myself I lasted that long. I’d rather head back to work. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of it, I expect more of midweek movies than shoddily edited wobbly headcam footage.

somafunk

My immediate response to the vid was “**** trendy knobs on bikes, they deserve to get abuse”, but then i let out a big sigh and thought “yeah…it looks like a good laugh and oh to be part of such a close knit scene…….” so i’m gonna sit on the fence on this one whilst wearing my skinny jeans and obscure name dropping hoody, frantically instagraming/tumbling atmospheric pics of cool kids on bikes……and attempting to get drunk on Pabst blue ribbon pishwater.

I’m gonna try riding like that in my local galloway town, i guess i’d make it 500 yards before some farmer/fisherman/manual worker/normal person dragged me off the bike and kicked the shite out of me for cycling like a prick with no consideration to other users, and quite rightly too, i’d punch myself in the face if i rode like that.

One of the above statements is a true representation of my current feelings on this subject, the other is just to wind folk up, rather like the original vid.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s an awful video.

Truth. 2013? The Prodigy?!

Jamie
    Free Member

I think the Prodigy have come full circle, so it’s ok for hipsters to like them.

asterix
    Free Member

I though Truth was New Order 😉

dabble
    Free Member

I made it as far as their little party. Some of the facial hair on display was impressive, some of the riding was very anti social but i also caught myself smiling and thinking “ha, car drivers, i bet they are getting their knickers in a right bunch about this!”
    Does nothing to improve the view of cyclists on the roads but i can imagine in london this being quite fun as the cars are all stationary (generalistion from the limited footage, no evidence to back it up) the majority of the time, if this happened in leeds i reckon they’d end up under a bus pretty sharpish, or getting knocked about when they tried riding through a group of folk on the pedestrian walkway.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I do believe you are suggesting that The Prodigy are out-dated… 😯

wwaswas

Has anyone got a link?

Dave
    Free Member

That last slot in Midweeks should be thought of as the “and finally” slot on regional news.

We don’t condone what goes there, that’s why prancercise, bubble wrap bikes and fatbikes have featured previously 😉

somafunk

On the mid week mini movies front page link

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Does nothing to improve the view of cyclists on the roads but i can imagine in london this being quite fun as the cars are all stationary (generalistion from the limited footage, no evidence to back it up) the majority of the time

You started so well. Asshats like that not only do nothing to improve, but also do lots to damage the view of cyclists. The sooner they all pop their knees out and take up artisan yoghurt weaving or something instead the better.

London? Stationary traffic? Hardly. Traffic is a ‘living’ thing in London. With pedestrians, cars, buses, trucks, motorbikes and cyclists all moving along. Throw in an asshat from any of those groups and the whole thing goes wrong. Multiple asshats who think they’re teh awsumz make the situation a whole lot worse.

Dave
    Free Member
    tomhoward

Is posting a video of London Couriers breaking all sorts of traffic laws (in mid-week mini movies) helpful to the cycling community, as by posting it as viewing pleasure it condones their behaviour?

Better posting it here than Pistonheads…..

lucien

Dave – Moderator
    That last slot in Midweeks should be thought of as the “and finally” slot on regional news.

We don’t condone what goes there, that’s why prancercise, bubble wrap bikes and fatbikes have featured previously

So….if a video was posted a commercial forum of say a car driver jumping red lights, driving up a one way street, harassing pedestrians, forcing their way through gaps in traffic; would that be acceptable?

My view is that the riding is irresponsible of course, the debate though (and thread) is about if posting this publicly on a commercially sponsored website condones the sort of behaviour in question.

edlong
    Free Member

Maybe the powers that be are learning from the Daily Mail business model. Look out for a “sidebar of shame” appearing soon, populated by paparazzi style shots of hipsters running red lights on singlespeeds just to goad the rest of us into posting disparaging and judgemental comments.

BTW, my spell check seems to think I should have put “judgmental” (with only one ‘e’) – that’s not right, is it?

qwerty
    Free Member

I though Truth was New Order

The Truth is Grandmaster Melle Mel & the Furious Five.

wwaswas

This is The Truth;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rPOWGYKbDA[/video]

Although I preferred the Nine Below Zero era (before and after) stuff.

officialtob
    Free Member

BTW, my spell check seems to think I should have put “judgmental” (with only one ‘e’) – that’s not right, is it?

Your spell checker appears to be correct! 🙂

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/judgmental

Stoner
    Free Member

Indeed. Judge Mental is the twit that didnt increase the McCourt sentence north of the border 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I do believe you are suggesting that The Prodigy are out-dated..

Truth.

crankboy
    Free Member

I’m gonna try riding like that in my local west Yorkshire metropolis, i guess i’d make it 500 yards before some farmer/market trader/manual worker/normal person dragged me off the bike and kicked the shite out of me for cycling like a prick with no consideration to other users, and quite rightly too, or some dozy student stepped out in front of me totalling both of us. i’d punch myself in the face if i rode like that.

The-Beard

I’m gonna try riding like that on my commute home tonight. Though there aren’t any red lights to jump. Or crowds of pedestrians to weave through. Maybe I can time it so that they’re bringing the cows in for milking and I can weave through the dairy herd.

edlong
    Free Member

Your spell checker appears to be correct!

Pah, that’s an American dictionary website you link to – my computer also tries to replace lots of esses with zeds (or zees) so I’ll blame Microsoft and its role in promoting American cultural imperialism. It can’t be me speling stuf rong

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    Is commenting on a magazines forum you dont subscribe to really ok ?

FWIW, I used to subscribe but thought it was a waste of money. I don’t buy any bike magazines anymore as they’re either for kids, idiots or have been swallowed by their own arse.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Got 2 mins into it. Got bored. Glad I live in a small market town where I’ll have to negotiate 2 roundabouts and 3 sets of traffic lights on my way home tonight. If there’s a traffic jam, there’ll be a tractor at the front of it. And tonight I’ll head out onto the trails within a few hundred yards of the town centre.

I really don’t like London…

sc-xc

This

London? Stationary traffic? Hardly. Traffic is a ‘living’ thing in London. With pedestrians, cars, buses, trucks, motorbikes and cyclists all moving along. Throw in an asshat from any of those groups and the whole thing goes wrong. Multiple asshats who think they’re teh awsumz make the situation a whole lot worse.

Is the most sensible thing I have ever seen round these parts…

Sandwich

Is the most sensible thing I have ever seen round these parts…

Down with that sort of thing!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Dear Singletrack powers that be…..’ is closed to new replies.