Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dear friends, I'm weary – please just tell me what I need (drainage cover thing)
  • bearnecessities

It’s this and it’s horrible, clearly.

For context, it’s here, and will be surrounded by a patio, laid by someone that’s already crippled from lifting the concrete.

I’ve just got Google-sickness from paving expert, so please someone answer what is probably a simple question.

If it involves falls,sub bases,mortar choice or haunching, I’ll crack.

Ta.

nickjb
    Free Member

What you’ve got looks fine to me. Just needs a clean then pop a leaf cover over it like this

juanking

Gully trap I think.

cotic853
    Free Member

Or you could lay your slabs up to it and fill in over this drain using 40mm cobbles. Look good and water runs through them. If you need to get to the drain for any reason they are easily removed

joshvegas
    Free Member

Squatty potty will sort you right out

bearnecessities

Thanks all – it’s fatally cracked and although that cover thing (or cobbles) would be otheriwse great grate, the plan is to lower that drain a few inches, so something new needs to go in its place.

Edit: Thanks juanking, that’s the bunny!

bruneep

I’d put a channel drain against the full length of the house wall something like this

righog
    Free Member

If it needs replacing you will need to dig down and see where the connection is etc.

You will then need to buy….

Something like this depends on underground connection angle

and one of these….

hopper

whatever ! you got more digging tomorrow !!!

bearnecessities

Nothing’s ever simple is it? 🙂

I was just going to leave a 5″ surround away from all three walls, dig out and fill with gravel. Whilst those drainage things are a nice to have, I really CBA.

I’ve not got clay soil, so think a gravel soakway should be fine….

righog
    Free Member

I’ve not got clay soil, so think a gravel soakway should be fine….

A soakaway would probably be ok if the drain was only for the rain gutters, but there is another drain from a washing machine/sink/dishwasher….That bit would not be ok for a soakaway…..

If I was you I would have a couple of days off digging, then have a dig down around the drain and then do it right.

bearnecessities

Thanks, it’s an out for the boiler…do you think that warrants a full drainage option? I’m aware that this place happily over-engineers stuff, but at same time don’t want to make stupid errors.

I was just going for a gravel soakaway border, 1/60 fall from house and a retaining edge which would go into another gravel soakaway, then grass.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I had the same problem a few weeks ago when flagging me patio, I took mine out took it to the builder yard and all the blokes too me to put it back and clean it up as it’s far better than the plastic one you’d have to replace it with

northernmatt

The condensate from the boiler will need to go into a soak away filled with limestone chippings if it can’t go into a drain. It’s acidic so has to be neutralised before going to ground as it can soften lime based mortar which as it’s right next to the house basically means it’s eating your foundations.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dear friends, I'm weary – please just tell me what I need (drainage cover thing)’ is closed to new replies.