Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Dear Fresh goods Friday……..
  • gohan
    Free Member

This independent magazine which has been helped along on its way to becoming what it is is now by the mountain bike community and independent bike dealers alike is advertising the fact that Aldi sell bike gear?

There a loads of manufacturers out there who are just like yourself, independent and you promote supermarkets copies of other peoples designs made down to a price that only the internet sellers can match??

Cheers Singletrack for making our lives a little harder you douche.

Bike shop employee.

scotroutes

Dear gohan

Please tell us what shop you work in so we can assess whether or not you offer good value for money.

Harry_the_Spider

Dear gonad,

So they shouldn’t tell people about the cheap stuff?

What if somebody only wanted to spend £15 on a top? Should they be made to ride in a T shirt instead?

zokes
    Free Member

Dear gohan,

Please remember that small, independent companies make their own market through innovation.

If you’re good at that, then you won’t have a problem with competition from “supermarkets copies of other peoples designs made down to a price that only the internet sellers can match”

Cheers,

zokes

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Reminds me a bit of this thread,

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lbs-owners-snobs

How dare they sell cheap gear!

slackalice
    Free Member

Two words………

Tuesday Treats.

allthepies
    Free Member

Dear Deidre,

My fella is getting all stressed up at work about some magazine or something and it’s affecting our bedroom antics.

What do you suggest ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

see the milkman

njee20
    Free Member

Srsly?

As others have said, if you’re good you’ll be fine, if not then you won’t. A website highlighting the fact cheap kit is available, which virtually everyone knew anyway, is not going to make a difference!

z1ppy

Fresh Goods Friday 147

fair play to Aldi marketing for getting them attention, not that they need it, it’ll sell out within the day from previous experience.
    TBH I shall be wandering down and trying for a softshell (with zip off arms for £16!), t-shirt and shorts (got some short last time, and though they aren’t brilliant, they’ll do to replace some of my worn kit)

A note to aldi: as long sleeved top with full zip would be excellent next time.

bearnecessities

Porter’s Five Forces.

unklehomered
    Free Member

And so the previous ones advertising hand carved wooden handled taste the difference track pumps and all other kinds of poncy shit I will never buy don’t allow them to throw some affordable stuff in there too?

There’s clearly a market for it as shown by all the PSAs that go up with Aldi get their stuff. You sir are a troll, and I am bloody well crossing this bridge whether you like it or not!

Pigface
    Free Member

Gohan you were making a valid point until you resorted to some abuse. Lost me then.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fresh goods friday aka s*** people send us.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Do you actually sell kit that is in direct competition with the likes of Lidl and Aldi in terms of pricing then? Curious to hear which brands they are?

Or do you really think that every £5 top sold in Lidl/Aldi is geniunely a lost Endura/Assos/Castelli/Rapha sale in an independent store?

Have you considered that cheap kit might entice or introduce casual cyclists into the idea of actually buying sport-specific clothing, and that some of these may upgrade bikes and kit as their interest develops?

Or do you just make knee-jerk reactions and blame others for your poor performance?

Harry_the_Spider

I suspect that this thread may not be taking the OP’s originally intended route.

z1ppy

This independent magazine which has been helped along on its way to becoming what it is is now by the mountain bike community and independent bike dealers alike is advertising the fact that Aldi sell bike gear?

Independent magazine, in unbiased reporting shocka!
    Love the idea, that they shouldn’t review stuff that ‘bike dealers’ wouldn’t like… does that smack of self serving elitism?

iain1775
    Free Member

On the subject of FGF it has gone a bit rubbish recently
    Not the mags fault they can only put up what is sent to them
    Take note small independent companies and dealers- send some of your more interesting stuff, get free publicity

Tom-B
    Free Member

Some of the Aldi kit is pretty good-socks and base layers especially! Some good jerseys from time to time too. OP you come across as just the type of ‘member’ that stops me from shopping at the lbs that is a five minute drive from my house.

Wookster

Well you can tell Mark has not logged in today yet…… 😆

P20

Surprised the OP didn’t mention the testing of mail order only bikes. Perhaps they don’t read the actual comic

3dvgirl
    Free Member

**** this is a troll right?

bencooper
    Free Member

Or do you just make knee-jerk reactions and blame others for your poor performance?

I’ve said this on the trade forums, but if some shops spent as much time improving their own businesses as they do moaning about what other people are doing, they’d be a lot happier.

Mark

Well you can tell Mark has not logged in today yet……

I’m right here 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

Cheers for the PSA Gohan, hadn’t realised Aldi were selling this again. 🙂

unklehomered
    Free Member

Last year was hard for some of our local retailers, but there is a trend. You can tell the shops on our high street who spent the year moaning and bitching to customers about the people who’s fault it was, supermarkets, life the universe and everything.

They’re the ones which aren’t there any more. There’s a lesson in there somewhere…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m a bike shop employee.
    I still buy stuff from Aldi and Lidl
    And Merlin
    And CRC
    And eBay
    And from forums
    And even from OTHER bike shops

🙂

STATO
    Free Member

I can sort of see his point, magazines are hardly known for pointing out cheaper versions of brand products that we regularly discuss on the forum. Or ‘group tests’ missing out obvious contenders.

So why have they gone out to buy Aldi stuff (I cant imagine it was sent in for review?) and mention it now?

MrOvershoot

I doubt they went out and bought it as the stuff isn’t in the shops till tomorrow.
    Good to see your not living up to your name 😉

Wookster

Mark – Resident Grumpy
    Well you can tell Mark has not logged in today yet……
    I’m right here
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #

😀

STATO
    Free Member

Good to see your not living up to your name

(I cant imagine it was sent in for review?)

I asked a question. Pretty sure they have went out and bought some in a past year.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Having spent £99 on a softshell (zip off arms) top and then also £16 on the aldi version – I think I can safely say most of the big bike brands (and to some extent the LBS who sell them) are taking the piss with their prices…

Magazines are supposed to be there for independent consumer advice and to promote choice, not make sure you earn a nice profit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Personally I cannot believe people pay the prices they do for cycling clothes

it is proper cheap shit and yet they will charge £50 + for it

If aldi can sell it at that price point for a profit just think how much the mark up is on each sale in your shop

Apart from my proper winter endura stealth stuff all my cycling gear is aldi stuff tbh as it is just such a rip off
    I think I would stop buying special stuff before I would pay those prices tbh

bencooper
    Free Member

The corollary, of course, is that if Aldi can sell it for £16 then it cost them about £5 to make, including materials, which means some poor sod in Outer Mongolia is getting paid peanuts to make it.

Not saying more expensive brands are necessarily more ethical, but if the pie is bigger then those at the bottom at least have the chance to get a bigger slice.

Junkyard
    Free Member

True but i very much doubt that is there business model – are there any fair trade or ethical cycle brands? { genuine Q given your trade ]

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks for pointing it out to me – don’t often visit the frontpage, so might have had to buy expensive kit at a bike shop if you hadn’t mentioned it 😉

terrahawk
    Free Member

Dear bike shop
    You wouldn’t see me dead in any shite from Aldi. Cheers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Try it is not bad stuff….seriously it is brilliant for the money and my stuff has lasted years as well [ may get slightly less use than yours mind]

terrahawk
    Free Member

I went in once when they got some cycling stuff in. urgh. place was wall to wall smelly cyclists elbowing each other and buying gloves for like, a quid….

😉

Mark

So why have they gone out to buy Aldi stuff (I cant imagine it was sent in for review?) and mention it now?

It was sent to us by their very proactive marketing dept.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Dear Fresh goods Friday……..’ is closed to new replies.