Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Dear Deidre; a rigid single speed ruined my (solo) love life…
  • DrP

Meh….
    After a cracking ride at Heaven of the South on the rigid single speed (50 Cotswold miles)I found myself 48 hours later nursing a slightly sore right forearm… grip strength was down, and lateral movement was pretty sore (lateral movement – the wrist movement you’d do to suggest to a fellow motorist that their driving is terrible, and they like to pleasure themselves..)

I’m now on holiday (managed to get out the airport WITH our luggage 24hours before the chaos started!) and I can barely lift a pina collada…
    I’ve now got such agonising wrist tendinitis that I’ve got a right forearm like Popeye, you can actually hear my tendons creaking when I move my fingers and wrist, and I’m smashing through anti inflammatories like they’re all inclusive…

Ow.

It’s positive I’ve NO ability to ride, but chucking kids into the pool (mine..others….I’m not fussy) and ping pong and water polo are all out the question….

Curse you silly inappropriate bike!

Hopefully it’ll settle by the southern enduro round 1- the pessimist I me doubts It!!

Arg….

DrP

qwerty
    Free Member

Welcome to old age !!!!!!!!! 😉

oink1
    Free Member

Is there any chance of procuring a wrist brace at your hollibob locale?? When I had tendonitis (many moons ago) It was the biggest healing factor.

shermer75
    Free Member

Tendinitis or sprain? Either way get some ice on that bad boy. Contrast bathing if you’re feeling motivated. I’d also be identifying the weakened structures and then applying appropriate loading to strengthen (ie swiching from pina coladas to pints 😉 )

bikebouy
    Free Member

Call a Doctor 😉

nedrapier

🙁

You’ve done loads of that before, though, haven’t you? Talking about the elvis single speeding, rather than the lateral movement, but that as well I’m sure.

What was different this time? New bars? Too much time on squishy forks making you soft and weak?

perchypanther
    Free Member

A cup of Nescafé is right out of the question

TheGingerOne

Have a chat with yourself next week. And if after another 2 weeks it still hurts, arrange another chat with yourself for the following week 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

look for a sports massage and just have them concentrate on that arm…

DrP

Ed… its the longest ride I’ve done without the bounce up front… suspension made me soft!

Ice is my friend..

DrP

scaredypants

I got that after day one of a week in the alps, chairlift biking – with actual suspension and everything

I ended up taping tightly round my forearms with duct tape as that eased the pain a bit

… so try that

(having creaky tendons is fun though, hey ?)

maccruiskeen

you can actually hear my tendons creaking when I move my fingers and wrist

My doc called it “crepitus” (which I know is more commonly used to describe something less savoury – although both described the loud creak if you pulled my finger)- felt like my tendons were ratchetting against their linings -you could feel a vibration when I moved my hand. Anti Inflametaries by the bucket load but also properly not moving those tendons at all it seemed to be the cure. I’ve known people have to have their arm set in plaster to get it to die down. I was given a ibuprofen topical cream thing – maybe the ibuprofen itself was helpful but the cream set sort of stiff and crispy, giving a good, constant, reminder to keep the hand/arm still.

Rorschach
    Free Member

More #5

pictonroad

I did HOTS on my rigid ‘dale with a Jones bar, you notice it. Can’t recommend a properly flexy bar enough. The on one oddity on my rigid makes it, dare I say comfy? Low tire pressure too.

DrP

It is crepitus, yes.
    But..I was, you know, trying to speak civil lingo!!!

Still agony and I dropped my NSAIDS down the side of the bath… curses!

DrP

Poopscoop

Had that quite a few years back. Just came on after one very tame ride. Odd!

Took a few weeks to go fully, for me anyway. 🙁

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Dear Deidre; a rigid single speed ruined my (solo) love life…’ is closed to new replies.