Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dear Deardrie
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Dear Deardrie,

After a lovely bike ride i think i've become entangled with a niche. I vowed i'd never ride anything with a niche value, but it happened, almost by accident.
    You see I recently got a new Marin hardtail frame and i didn't have enough money for a decent set of suspension forks, no problem i thought, i'll just stick some rigid forks on there for now and that'll do until i get something sorted, next thing you know im doing 30mile rides across the downs and really loving it. I only did it once and im desperate for more.
    Im worried this will lead to searching out even more hardcore niche stuff like track dropouts and fixed wheels. Will i have to grow a beard and start wearing merino tops?

Please help, i've hardly slept a wink of sleep from the guilt. My FSR looks at me and begs me to ride it, but i just dont feel the same anymore.

Yours worried and guilty

Bigyinn

Pigface
    Free Member

Pervert 😉

codebauer
    Free Member

Deardrie says "Grow Beard"

tinsy
    Free Member

He he, its allright, quite normal, give it a few months riding it rigid (no smut please) then when you get back on the FSR you will once again love the smooth no fuss riding… Both are good.

bigyinn
    Free Member

But why do i like the beaten up feeling? Perhaps i am a pervert after all. 😈

tinsy
    Free Member

Only you can answer that!!!

I rekon rigid is faster and easier for good tight and twisty singletrack, its certainly noticeable uphill, because of the wieght or bobbing bit I am not sure…

I did 12h night event fully rigid at Thetford, it was great but steel forks that were too short and of the jump variety so more rigid than the name would suggest, coupled with crap lights meant I spent a lot of time hitting roots I couldnt see instead of getting the front over them, it put me off rigid for quite a while…. or at least untill the swelling went down, moved onto carbon rigids after that and the differnce in comfort was quite noticeable, and so feather light it made the bike just feel alive, assuming you dont have carbon on it, then it would be a great move and way cheaper than a set of medicore forks.

There is certainly room in your life for both bikes that for sure!!!

toys19
    Free Member

"Its not the wand, it's the wizard waving it"

Do you need suspension? I ride with a mate on a 90's gt agressor with v brakes, he is dead nippy. Personally I like my suspenders but I don't think a rigid bike is a niche.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps, but an early '90's fully rigid bike wasnt unusual, one from 2010 is, isn't it?
    Less of a pervert, more of a deviant.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dear Deardrie’ is closed to new replies.