Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dealing with Wheelies Insurance bike replacement??
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

So both my bikes were nicked from shed last friday, Home Protect today passed my details onto Wheelies, I’m expecting a call before tomorrow lunchtime.

Question is, How will I get payment?
    My MTB was a custom built Prince Albert that I valued on the insurance as £1700 (Double checked this today, Roughly £1690) and my commuter is a Specialized Sirrus Sport 2011, Valued at £400 on insurance,
    From what I’ve read they’ll value the bikes and offer me a like for like replacement?
    I’ve looked on their website, at £1700 I can get a Kona Explosif 2015,
    Nice looking bike, poor forks, I wouldn’t want it.
    I know I can get much more for my money if I had the cash plus I’d like the idea of getting a cheaper commuter and putting more money to getting a better MTB,
    Has anyone had an issue in just asking for the cash and if so, Do they reduce how much they offer?

Hoping I can get a good result from a rubbish situation,
    Ideally I’d have my Prince Albert back but hey ho.

andyl
    Free Member

surely if Wheelies can’t supply the Prince Albert then they have to give you the cash?

eshershore
    Free Member

Whatever they supply you with, make sure you pay your lbs or a competent mechanic friend to set the bike up before you ride.

Speak from experience…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dknwhy

I had two bikes taken and they priced it on a like for like basis, which worked out well as I had a Planet x nanolight with sram red and they don’t supply planet x. They offered me a bike worth £700 more than mine!
    In the end, I wanted cash so they knocked off 10% and then the excess. Received a cheque within a few days.
    Don’t forget to list all the accessories, saddle bag contents, including multitool etc…

MartynS

If you ask for a cash settlement they knock 25% of the value of the stolen bike.
    If you push the fact you want an exact like for like and they can’t supply it you get the full value.
    That’s assuming you insurance is like for like!! They are usually quite generous with the valuations though so don’t be surprised if you get a good offer to buy something from them.

Oh and another tip.. They are really slow, really really slow at replying to calls or emails Get a name. Always call and ask for them. Otherwise you just get whoever picks up the phone and it can get tiresome/confusing having to explain everything over and over

tacopowell
    Free Member

Are they likely to go out of their way to supply an identical build of my prince albert? i.e. order the frame themselves and build it component for component?
    I’ll say I want my bike as it was, surely they’re just going to cough up the full value?!

With the Sirrus, as its a common bike, Will I have trouble convincing them Its a sirrus or the Cash?

mudshark
    Free Member

I found them good to deal with and suspect you’ll get full value but by getting a bike they could supply, rather than a direct replacement for my Trek Madone, I got a better bike so I was happy.

PMK2060

I explained to my insurance company that wheelies did not stock my bike. They agreed to stump up the cash instead.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I had a custom built ns surge nicked a few months ago. John Lewis passed me to their validation company who authorised a pay out of the new price of all the components. I believe that wheelies advised then to do this.

It meant I could build up a brand new bfe with no expense spared.

Dig your heels in and get the cash.

And get John Lewis insurance whenit’s renewal time

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dealing with Wheelies Insurance bike replacement??’ is closed to new replies.