Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Dealing with the side effects of a big off
  • jimw
    Free Member

Having had three periods off work through mountain bike injuries, and being 50+ whenI last broke my collarbone, it took a while to get my head round it all again. I am now more cautious, I am quite happy to ride at the back of the pack and even get off the bike when I don’t feel comfortable rather than chasing the front runners. Whilst I am not as fast as I was ( from that read never very fast so now slowish) I still get almost everywhere I want to go.
    By lowering my horizons a bit I am enjoying my biking as much as I ever did.
    So , for example, during my week in the Alps with our group this year, I rode most of what everyone else did, just slower. Occasionally I would get off the bike. When I felt that I was getting tired and needed a rest, I sat down whilst the others did a few more runs.
    I had the best weeks in the Alps I’ve had to date ( the weather did help)
    Some of my more competitive friends can’t quite understand my attitude and I am sure they think I am not getting the most out of my rides because I am not pushing the envelope as much as they do, but they are good enough to humour me, and usually they don’t have to wait more than a couple of minutes for me.

What I am trying to say is get back into it but don’t be worried if you are not as gnarr as you used to be, just enjoy it.

Edit: getting a slacker longer travel bike ( Cotic Rocket on 160 Pikes vs 2008 Orange 5) with decent tyres helped the confidence in the Alps no end, I wasn’t much quicker but I was much more comfortable both physically and mentally

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Dear Mr OP.. Quite clearly yule be back. Your starting this thread tells me something. It may take you a year or so to build up things again. When you do, take it easy, enjoy what riding you do, and pretty much ignore some of what has been written above..

Your accident sounds a freak one – the types of crash that no amount of ‘training’ or mental attitude or kit can save you from. Cedric Garcia’s serious femoral artery JRA crash is probably testament to that. Every big injury I’ve had on an MTB has been pretty much a silly JRA one… So these things happen!

My last serious injury crash (broken sternum, ribs, displaced clavicle, concussion) just happened to be during my first ride with Strava on. Delete the god damn thing!

I was gonna say – evaluate what it is you want from this sport and consider whether you want to take such risks again – but I know you will want to 😉

adsh
    Free Member

If you want to ride then ride, if it makes you nervous and you don’t want to then don’t. Things move on. What was the most important thing to you can become unimportant later to the extent you question the harm you either did or nearly did to yourself.

If you do want to ride again then learn to love climbing. I’d question the long low etc bit – surely the accident will just be faster? Rigid XC for the ups

TiRed

Fifteen fractures and a pneumothorax earlier this year meant a return to riding on the road would be interesting. I consoled myself with the cause (it wasn’t road racing), the setting (min roundabout) and then bought n+1 to help – a recumbent trike that, although a lot lower, offers a DIFFERENT perspective to riding.

If I have a crash off-road (and I have broken a collarbone and had some other nasties), I reconcile the same way – what was it that caused the crash and what can I do to avoid it?

I’m not a brave or particularly skilled off-road rider, so seldom push any boundaries. A singlespeed short-travel HT sees to that! On the road, and in particular, racing, I reconcile that whilst crashes do happen (an I just missed a BIG one on Sunday’s sprint), I position myself safely, watch for riders and sit up if it looks pear-shaped.

Hope you make a good recovery, from one who’s wrist and shoulder is still borked.

egb81
    Free Member

I took an innocuous seeming tumble in May but somehow put the handlebar through my knee cap, shattering it. I’ve been off work since and having physio and hydrotherapy on a weekly basis to regain the flex and muscles in my leg. I don’t know when I can get on a bike again. It’s a slow process, which is making the mental side of riding seem worse by the day. If I’m being honest, I’m pretty terrified at the prospect of mountain biking again but really want to get back to it to ease my fears. All being well after the first few minutes I’ll have a feel for the bike l again and be able to ride like I used to. Failing that, I’ll take up triathlon.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I’d advise you to ride a lot more and practice the difficult bits. Not just weekends. Fitness also helps a lot. The one thing I could suggest is to have some good tyres. Just try a Minion 2.3 DHF and DHR. You might be surprised at the difference in grip than say a Rocket Ron! 😀

roverpig

A few people have mentioned road riding as an option if you like to ride a bike but don’t like all the injuries. It’s funny to think that sharing space with loads of heavy vehicles being driven at high speed by people who may not be paying attention can be seen as the safe option, but it’s probably true. I spent nearly 40 years as a regular road rider and never had to pay a trip to A&E. In the first two years or riding off-road I had 4 trips to A&E (two fractures, a deep gash and some ligament damage).

It’s possibly true that risk of death is higher on the road (although it seems common enough off-road too), but risk of the sort of injury that can be a major inconvenience seems to be much higher off-road. So, it’s possibly worth trying to understand why.

The surface is clearly less predictable, but I’m not sure that should be a factor on it’s own. We don’t ride blind so we should be able to asses the danger, build in a margin of error and ride accordingly.

So, what is it that makes mountain biking such a high risk sport?

Here’s a few thoughts:

1. Various factors that pressure you into riding stuff that you don’t feel comfortable doing. This could be as simple as a trail being given a grade (“it’s only a red so I have to ride it”), your mates egging you on, or even just your own internal monologue.

2. A focus on down rather than up; particularly on timing the descents. In my road riding days I was always cautious on the descents. With very few exceptions races aren’t won on the descent so (even if you are just racing yourself) there is no point risking injury for a few seconds when you can gain minutes on the climb. When Strava first started (as a tool for roadies) it seemed to be all about the climbs. But mountain bikers turn all this on it’s head, only really caring about how fast they can ride down a section and often just cruising up to save energy for the descent.

3. The whole macho MTFU culture.

iainc

some of my similar musings from last week re spills at the velodrome.. here

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Been out for a gentle walk on the local hill this morning (Doctor told me to keep mobile as much as possible) – interesting to see the trails and see how I felt. I think I’ll be back but with a few scars which I’ll massage out over time.

Had a crazy dream/nightmare last night which was very disturbing and I can only put down to where my heads at currently.

Cheers for sharing your thoughts and experiences – been a great help.

egb81
    Free Member

I think I’ll be back but with a few scars which I’ll massage out over time.

Bio oil, massaged into the scar makes seems to work wonders. I thought it would be hype and BS but a good few inches of my surgery scar have nearly disappeared. Also, if the scar is on top of bone, massaging the scar is a good idea according to the physio; stops it sticking apparently.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Roverpig hits it spot on IMO..

Northwind

Just see how you feel tbh. I had quite a long recuperation after I smashed my hip up and a huge motivator for me was getting back on the bike (motorbike, back then, I only started cycling after the accident!). So I was working on it, buying toys for it etc, it all helped me keep my eyes up. But getting on it was terrifying 😆 I actually never really got fully back into it, for various reasons including mountain biking, and after a couple more years I parked it up- but I never regretted keeping it there as a carrot.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

to the OP – as you mention your reaction is knee jerk and completely natural

there’s nothing wrong in this as the accident has only recently happened, you are currently still in a bad physical way and mentally knocked around and shocked / scared by the experience.

however from the couple serious off’s i’ve had resulting in bad injuries, i’ve thought initially “that’s it, not doing this any more, selling the bike”, however as time has gone on and the physical injuries have healed i’v come round to the idea of carrying on riding – all be it in a more careful fashion – eventually ending up c 9 months later riding back a full pelt down all the stuff i was before.

give it time, take it easy on your return, don’t rush it or push yourself initially and see what happens. if 6 months after the return to the bike you are no longer enjoying it, sell the new-ish shiny bike and you’ve not lost anything

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think there is a certain need for MTFU.

Why not do a skills course when you get back on the bike? One thing I found after a reasonably big fall last year was that I ended up riding the bike more defensively, and basically everything your supposed to do went out of the window, so I actually increased my risk of having another accident.

A skills course put me right on stuff I was doing wrong, and gave me my confidence back in the ability to ride a bike.

iainc

One thing I found after a reasonably big fall last year was that I ended up riding the bike more defensively, and basically everything your supposed to do went out of the window, so I actually increased my risk of having another accident.

+1. Skills course a few months later was a great benefit

chiefgrooveguru

Also, if the scar is on top of bone, massaging the scar is a good idea according to the physio; stops it sticking apparently.

I have some metalwork in my ankle from a crash on ice back in 2010 and I’ve found the best way to stop the scar tissue from becoming a problem is to massage it with a spoon when wearing socks. If I ignore it the ankle stiffens up and then puts the knee under more strain.

ico86

When I had my big crash I initially thought that I wouldn’t want to touch my bike, I was scared of riding it, I hated the state that I’d stupidly put myself in by carrying on with this idiotic sport etc etc.. all normal I think. As I went through the recovery process that all softened up so that by the time I was allowed to ride my bike I was really excited to. I was super tentative to start with but in the end it hasn’t changed my riding too much.
    I guess my point is don’t fret about it too much now, you’re just reacting to the injury that’s just been inflicted. A bit of R&R may have you seeing things differently as the pain fades. When you’re physically able/allowed to get back on the bike again, that’s the time to have a go and assess the impact that the crash has had on your riding.

Oh and I’ve just read the OP again and realised the smashed up bike, maybe hire/demo something nice when you get back to inject a bit of the shiny kit effect into your return.

kudos100
    Free Member

Good thread and some great advice on here.

I’ve had some bad offs over the last 4-5 years. The worst being a badly dislocated shoulder and then OTB at about 20mph onto my head resulting in a collar bone smashed to bits and another dislocated shoulder.

When I smashed my collar bone, I was too keen to get back to riding and re-broke it 8 weeks later. I spent 9 months off the bike that year. This messed with my head really badly (the accident was a random one as I caught my pedal on a root)

I eventually got back to riding, but was riding like a old granny for a few weeks.

These days I am much more likely to pass up something than I used to. Before I would just say ‘MTFU’ and go for it. This has gotten me into trouble a number of times.

If i’m feeling it I will still hit gap jumps and drops, but if I’m feeling sketchy then I leave it for another day.

Random accidents can always happen, but the vast majority can be avoided by riding within your comfort zone.

My comfort zone varies from 20 ft gap jumps to mincing down a trail like beginner. I’m ok with it, as I’m not someone with is very consistent with my level of riding (mental state and physical health problems) and i’d rather live to do it another day.

I don’t see any reason why people can’t keep riding if they 1: focus on improving skills, 2: ride within their comfort zone, 3: wear the right protective gear and 4: make sure to do rehab and PREHAB.

Unless you have a screw loose, most people with feel mentally messed up after breaking their body after a big off (nitro circus and road racers are an exception to this)

egb81
    Free Member

The strangest thing for me at the moment is trying to explain that mountain biking is actually relatively safe. I’ve been riding for about 25 years (the vast majority of my life) and only had one major accident. People keep telling me that I’ll think twice about riding mountain bikes due to what’s happened but I respond that I know three people that broke their ankles tripping on steps and kerbs but none of them quit crossing the road. I’m a bit scared of riding again but when I think about it logically it’s treated me remarkably kindly injury wise, especially compared to playing rugby as a kid.

hainman
    Free Member

Over that last few years I e had an OTB that resulted in me hitting a TRAFFIC LIGHT.Got me bar snagged on a hedge and I tried to correct it and went Tits up and slammed the Light post,knew straight away,collar bone shattered and 3 ribs,The bones have healed stronger but my heid hasn’t,every time I feel anything tug my bars I Sh1t myself,but I made a consious effort to slowly get my head back in the zone,
    Year before that I broke my hand on a drop that I had done hundreds of times,never rode that drop again since,then in the summer I smashed face first into a big rock whilst wearing my FF lid,broke my eye socket and cheek bone,took me a while to get “Aff the brakes” but slowly getting my Mojo back,but I feel my injuries have been more bad luck than rider error.I now just ride what I know I’m comfy with,my mates push themselves harder but I just stay on my comfort level,I know I’m capable of upping my game but I know I now break easier than I thought and no having sick pay and wife and kids does play some part in how I evaluate my rides(sometimes)

hora
    Free Member

I had a big off years ago. You over think it, dwell and worry ‘will I ever ride as good again’.

What you DO need to do is detune your riding anyway. I ride at about 70% of my capabilities. Always hold something back as I want to ride well into my 50’s. That doesnt mean mincing. Still ride all the trails just not at ‘on the limit’ to try and impress mates/total strangers/sheep.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Just get a fatbike….do the same stuff but slower!!…that’s what I’ve done….had a big off last year,
    I can’t afford to have another 4 months off work…..as my mate said now wherein our 40s

We don’t bounce anymore!!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

True – although I’m surprised how well I bounce for someone in their 40s 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

Biking (road and MTB) is my third major sport after climbing and fell running. Mountain biking is the riskiest of the lot.

Climbing was my main sport for over thirty years. I climbed all around the world rock climbing, ice climbing, Alpine climbs summer and winter and in the Himalaya, not easy stuff but climbs close to the leading edge. In that time I had one accident when I was 50 and a hold broke whilst climbing in the Peak District resulting in a broken wrist and a dislocated elbow. Out of my circle of friends and climbing companions there was a similar low level of injuries.

Compare with mountain biking and there are injuries galore. In a week in the Alps a third of the group got injuries. That’s a huge difference.

It might be that a fall when climbing is usually in to thin air whereas a fall when biking is always going to result in contact with the ground which on technical trails isn’t going to be nice and smooth: soft fleshy thing meet jagged rocks = hurt.

However, certain aspects of climbing can be very risky: I have lost three friends who have died whilst soloing (climbing without ropes). There isn’t that variability in most mountain biking.

A couple of years ago I had a hip replacement so I’m never going to be flying down the trails chasing Strava KOMs – my Strava downhill times will confirm this 😳 – some might say I’m mincing down but so what, I’m approaching the speed at which I’m leaving my comfort zone so am getting just as much out of the trail as a 16yr kid who’s hitting every jump and being the next downhill god.

Radioman

I had a big crash in 2003. Smashed my face after rushing into the second run off a big drop without thinking properly. All pretty much recovered now bit still have metal in me. I remember my surgeon when I talked of quitting saying “carry on biking it’s healthy, just be more careful”. That’s what I have done. It has made me realise why I bike ….to have fun !! That means fun for ME. I went to Canada a year after and loved it and had lessons there. I also had lessons with the excellent Jedi. I decided that I like biking but just want to do it within my own risk tolerances. I ride at my own speed. I am certainly not interested in Strava or competitive riding . My fun on the bike is still about developing skills and riding in control. I realise if it gets to much there is no fun in it! I limit my personal fear levels on trails and sections to what I am happy with. I don’t rush ove any jumps until I have seen the landing and feel confident. I also have set myself limits on what I will attempt. I only ride tech bits that I “know I can do” . Going over something scared is not for me . Luckily the guys I ride with now are similar and we respect each other and do not push each other to try inappropriate sections. Speed is always a danger in off road when we get carried away and I try to contain that to what I am happy with, again having riding buddies who are considerate is important. I love the saying maximum smiles for minimum miles. That applies to tech bits too. Maximum fun for minimum exposure! Happy riding ! Do it for the reasons you started riding And don’t let others push you out of your comfort zone, your speed will improve naturally if you don’t push it

roverpig

I am certainly not interested in Strava or competitive riding

I need to try and adopt more of this attitude. I enjoy riding on my own (exercise, peace and quiet etc) yet I can’t help checking every ride and segment in Strava when I get back. I know I’m not going to top the leaderboard (unless it’s a section hardly anybody rides) but if I’m not in the top half I want to go back and do it faster. Why? Why on earth do I care whether I’m better or worse than the average time of a buch of people I don’t know? Why am I being competitive about my leisure activity? Blowed if I know 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Dealing with the side effects of a big off’ is closed to new replies.