Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Dealing with job agencies
  • tails
    Free Member

So I guess some of you may work as a agent and many will have had experience. Whats the best way to deal with them currently there is possibly my dream job on a website, yesterday I applied for it.

I have experience with one other agency who were very quick and super friendly hell they even sent me a christmas card.

If I applied for a job direct normally I would wait around a week before contacting them, with an agency can I hassle them more?

Any other helpful advice. thanks

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I am pretty sure that the agency 'collects' candidates that they have screened and feel have the qualities that their client is looking for. This can be over a period of days or more so sometimes you feel they do not want you.

I would follow your enquiry up with the agency to ensure that they know about you as I have done this myself in the past, its always a good way of letting the agency know what you are looking for, after I did this I was sent lots of suitable career opportunities that were on their books.

cranberry
    Free Member

There are good agencies and bad agencies, but I would suggest that if anyone from an agency shakes your hand you make a point of counting your fingers afterwards just to make sure that none of them have gone astray.

Good luck with your job hunting.

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

i'd say ring them up, speak to the person handling the job that is advertised and try and build a relationship with them. They will probably get stacks of applications and you need to make yourself memorable, for the right reasons. Wallflowers don't win in this game. talking to them may also highlight other opportunities before they get advertised which improves your odds. also agree a time / date when you will call them back to get an up-date on progress, don't wait for them

vinnyeh

As above, you need to build a relationship with the agent, however unsavoury that might seem. They're going to be doing the first cut of the cvs to send off to the employer, so you need to do everything you can to ensure yours goes. In some circumstances they'll be trying to sell you to the employer, rather than just passively sending off your cv to them – another reason to schmooze. Ask if there's anything you can do to your cv to improve it- stroke their ego.
    In the event the cv doesn't go forward you need to find out why- it might take a lot of hassling and putting up with them 'being on the other line' or 'being in a meeting' but it is important. Unfortunately these people hold your future in their hands.

Good luck- let us know if you get past stage 1!

tails
    Free Member

God I'll be very disappointed if I don't get passed stage one I have everything they asked for plus I'm a whizz in the 'extra bits' (read not needed)

I'll call the representative tomorrow to ask.

MrDomino
    Free Member

My experience with agents is pretty lengthy as I work in IT as a contractor, generally if I send my CV forward for a job then I leave it for them to contact me. At the moment there are so many people applying for each role that the agent will likely ignore your call or the person answering the phone will make an excuse like the person you are after is in a meeting etc. Unfortunately I have to deal with them regularly and can't stand the buggers.

tails
    Free Member

person answering the phone will make an excuse like the person you are after is in a meeting etc.

This is a thing that annoys me so much, decent companies and decent people contact you to tell you where you are. I have applied for jobs and not heard anything jobs that i could easily do. I have applied for jobs that are possibly above my level but have heard back with full reasoning.

Its very frustrating not hearing back and I have thought more than once about packing it all in and vanishing to a far flung corner of the world. At least I have learnt how I will treat people if ever I employ people.

neilforrow

Yardley is spot on.

phone then up and keep on at them, like yardley said, build up a relationship with them… it helps… they have to convey how you and a bunch of others are coming across.

tyger
    Free Member

Remember you are the product they need to sell and cost of sale is everything.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Ring them up and try and get the name of the company out of them(this will be hard won information)! Then apply directly.

This has worked for me on three separate occasions. All times I got an interview! and in tandem applied through the agencies (got e-mails informing me I'd not been selected for interview)

Admittedly these were positions 'outside my field of expertise'. Agencies tend to employ a 'tick all boxes' policy, if you don't then you've no chance.

Good luck in your job hunt and in dealing with the recruitment 'consultants' 🙂

Moses

I agree with Jackson. Try to find what company the job is with, then call directly – stating that you are NOT an agent.
    Sometimes the agents blurb is lifted directly from the company website advert, so a google can find the original ad.

tails
    Free Member

Admittedly these were positions 'outside my field of expertise'. Agencies tend to employ a 'tick all boxes' policy, if you don't then you've no chance.

Its information like this which makes me feel at the grand old age of 25 I'm already on the scrap heap and need to re-train or accept sub £20k jobs, being unemployed has made me realize why some fiddle benefits and turn to crime.

jj55

Some advice *here* about using agencies

tails
    Free Member

thanks jj55

Mackem

IME if you dont ring them as soon as you´ve sent your CV then you are wasting your time. Most agents are lazy sods and will happily be convinced by a phone call and a suitable CV to hand rather than wade through a load of CV´s that may or may not be better than yours.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Its information like this which makes me feel at the grand old age of 25 I'm already on the scrap heap and need to re-train or accept sub £20k jobs, being unemployed has made me realize why some fiddle benefits and turn to crime.

Sorry mate didn't mean to make you feel worse. Stay positive and don't sink to 'their' level. You are more of an expert in your chosen area than any recruitment consultant. (I had my CV professionally analyzed by an MD and his HR manager and also a job center adviser and was assured that it was "incredibly strong" and "if that landed on my desk i'd certainly take notice" )

tails
    Free Member

i know jacksonpollock i just go through ups and downs, its just i want to work I'm never ill and am always punctual. I put in the graft and got unfairly treated in comparison to the sick notes i last worked with and yet they still have a job.

tails
    Free Member

**** **** so i have all the skills advertised plus some but nooo apparently she knows the client well!!! i'm gonna be unemnployed forever might as well end it all..,

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Dealing with job agencies’ is closed to new replies.