Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Dealing with builders – advice please (no its not gone pear shaped yet)
  • geoffj

Well we are moving out this weekend, the scaffolding is arriving and the work is starting. New roof, bedrooms, bathrooms, dormers etc.
    Estimated at 6 months work.
    My friendly local Polish builder is the only one who came back with a quote according to spec. Was under my estimated budget and he has good references.
    I’m a project manager in my day job, but any specific building project management tips would be appreciated.

So far I’ve got
    1. Don’t upset the neighbours
    2. Don’t upset the builder
    3. Don’t fall out with the builder

Gooner
    Free Member

Try not to make any unnecessary changes once the builder has started
    Make it clear that he must get your written approval (and if possible price agreement) before he carries out any works that are not included in the contract specification, drawings etc.
    That way wont get any nasty shocks when the job has finished and he will know he is going to get paid

matt_outandabout

Keep communicating all the time.
    Be flexible – sh*t happens on these kind of projects.

phildowling
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Polish builder with good references you say?

You’ve started very well, IMO. The Poles and Eastern Europeans work a lot harder then the British do in general.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

As said, Keep a very close eye on any changes, no matter how small it seems. Get any changes you are happy with confirmed in writing.

Lots of tea and bacon butties always help

Richie_B

Unless its absolutely necessary don’t alter the spec or design (and if you have to get cost time implications in writing before you agree)
    If possible get the builder to give you a programme of works so you have a better idea if things are slipping. Try and keep on friendly terms because he is more likely to let slip if things are slipping/going astray that way.
    If you have a decent agreement of price, time frame, drawings, spec etc remember that an electrician or whoever changing their price is his problem not yours (hence don’t change the spec once the price is agreed).

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Don’t forget to keep Building Control in the loop.
    Have you used a contract, if not use JCT minor works as a starting point.
    Everybody maybe on good terms now, but things happen.
    Get a programme together & stick to with regular milestones.

Can’t stress enough, once you start don’t change anything unless you really have too, & if you do agree price & time upfront.

have you cleared all of your planning conditions ?

Chevin
    Free Member

Or ignore all the above and get in touch with Grand Designs!

Matthew

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Get Kevin McCloud in, get your Mrs pregnant, change plans every week. Argue with and sack architect and builder. Add to build ensuring you don’t have planning permission. Fall out with neighbours. Spend 25% more than budgeted. Appear on telly. Job done.

gusamc
    Free Member

Compare your house to a government managed IT project. If you want it to be crap and overbudget repeatedly change the spec and take large amounts of time to make any decision. (although once decisions are made you can change them quickly and often)

Have an agreed set of stage payments with simple, agreed and easily mesurable criteria – at least 25% to be held till completion/sign off

Hve a regular team meeting
    – what did you do last week
    – what are you going to do next week
    measure real progress against planned (I assume you have one) …

jwt
    Free Member

THIS is a long read, but may/may not prove helpful…………

aP
    Free Member

Read this:

project
    Free Member

Im a Project in my forum time,

Dont upset the builder, or his workforce,

plenty of tea bags and cooffe as well as milk available,

any kids under 12 put them in the mother in laws house, any teenagers, send them away for the duration,

There will be mess and disruption, and it will be cleaned up,

dont mention the war,

dont have a german car on the drive,they dont like germans,

post up pictures so we can see progress and so we can say ooh i dont like that.

barca
    Free Member

Get your Council Tax Class A exemption application in as well. Nothing to pay for up to 12 months.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

JCT minor works as mentioned above and a plan of works
    check he’s using the materials that you specified not cheaper alternatives ,
    make sure your specification is complete if you dont spec it you cant complain when its not there ie solid wood not mdf skirting boards
    Inform building control / planning authority
    Dont pay for work not done or anything that isnt fixed down if the builder goes bust its not yours but set periodic or stage payments your both happy with
    Keep a 5% retention for 1-2 months incase of snags
    OR Pay a building surveyor to be your PM and not worry about it

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Don’t be shy with the tea, we like that

If you go out and lock the house, the area behind your shed will smell of wee

The pub IS a reasonable place to be on a Friday afternoon

Chippys never tidy up

If we don’t know you’re behind us you may hear some swearing

Ice creams go down well on a hot day

jonb
    Free Member

Keep on top of snagging while the work is on going. It’s easier to sort problems when they first occur especially if they are likely to be repeated all over the place.

JulianA
    Free Member

Don’t pay for anything up front. We’ve been caught out and may have problems looming (to the cost of a grand…)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Dealing with builders – advice please (no its not gone pear shaped yet)’ is closed to new replies.