Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Deal Extreme lights helmet mount numpty query!
  • xcgb
    Free Member

Ok so I bought one of these

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-assault-crown-waterproof-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82508

My question is how are you supposed to fit the light to the helmet mount thingy? cable ties?
    or should I have ordered another bit?

I cant find anything else on DX

Ta lighting experts!

PaulD
    Free Member

Hi there,

You use one of the rubber O-rings to fix the lamp to the helmet bracket or your handlebars.
    I binned the elastic strap and used 4 cable ties to firmly fix the bracket to the helmet. Lamp remains removable for daylight use.

You may need an extension cable to put the battery in a backpack/jersey pocket. I bought a 1m for approx $4.

PaulD

xcgb
    Free Member

Paul
    Ah OK yes thanks, top tips too!

Where did you get the extension from?

Nobby

What PaulD said or cut off the elastic straps & use a couple of velcro ones (like those found on some frame mounts for pumps) in their place.

gab344
    Free Member

Are the plug/sockets on this the same as the old p7 bastid light?

Dancake
    Free Member

I ditched the mount and managed to wrap the o ring around part of the helmet on my giro (ie camera fixed directly to helmet)

xcgb
    Free Member

Do you folks waterproof the battery packs at all ?

Nobby

Have been known to drop it in a plastic bag & tape it up before slinging it in the camelbak. Bit of ‘leccy tape on the cable joint to if it’s gopping.

PaulD
    Free Member

x,

I got the 1m extension lead from Dx too, but it was for the older light…not sure if the new ones use exactly the same connectors.

I sealed the old battery packs inside 2 nitrile gloves, each tied off with very small cableties.

Fully waterproof and it still fits in the original nylon case to strap under the stem.

PaulD

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

These DX mounts also work very well for helmet mounting the lamp units.
    I remove the upper of the two velco straps, fit the o-ring mount around the block of the mount in the same way as intended when around the bars. I then use the lower velcro strap to mount to the helmet.
    Extremely stable, remains height adjustable and is easily removed.

Top tip for waterproofing – self amalgamating tape.
    Seal the battery pack in a tightly wound layer of it. Also use it to reinforce all cable entry points and flex protectors as these are weak points otherwise prone to cracking and shorting out.

[EDIT] I believe from comments on DX site that the connectors are not the same as those on Magicshine, so the old extension cable is unlikely to be compatible [/EDIT]

xcgb
    Free Member

Cheers Guys!

meandyuk

I’m thinking of buying the DX 1200 lumen version too. Wondering if I should just go with the already popular DX 900 lumen version instead, anyone know how it compares?

z1ppy

Meanddy UK: A lot brighter but more of a central hot spot, than the quite floody P7 bastid units:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-lights-3#post-2889995

kudos100
    Free Member

Anyone tried the old extension cable on the new light?

z1ppy

Smudge changed my head unit’s connection to accept a DX battery, but also sent me one for my old Magicshine Bastid, it took a couple of minutes to solder on.
    BUT if your planning on using a complete XML head unit & battery kit, it’s probably easier to get an extention cable that just matches..

kudos100
    Free Member

Are these available in the uk? I can’t see them of the magicshine uk site.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Deal Extreme lights helmet mount numpty query!’ is closed to new replies.