Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dead SD Card – any hope!
  • uphilla
    Free Member

The micro SD card in my phone gave up the ghost very suddenly last week. I think it was because it was full! I would like to get some of the photos back if possible, but having tried a couple of bits of suggested software it does look like time for the bin. Can anyone suggest anything else to try? Thanks

dooosuk
    Free Member

What software have you tried?

sadexpunk

samsung? some of my mates have lost cards this way, theyve looked into it and always had to accept its dead.

back up by any chance?

uphilla
    Free Member

Back-up was on my “to-do” list 🙁 It was a Samsung Phone. Software tried- Diskdigger and ZAR

deadkenny
    Free Member

Micro SD are particularly fragile and some just utterly die with no response no matter what the software or reader.

If a reader or the computer can at least see it then you have a slim chance of software trying to read it. Try SD card manufacturer sites as they often have recovery software.

If you’re after pictures there is specific image recovery software out there that look for patterns of image data so even if the folder information is corrupt it can try to recover images.

But as I say, if the card is dead it likely won’t be recognised at all and that is that. I’ve had several Micro SD die on me.

sadexpunk

samsung phone, so if youre android/google based, youre sure it hasnt been backing up to google photos without your knowledge arent you?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Try PhotoRec,
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
    does the card appear in disk manager?

timba
    Free Member

If you’re using a PC for recovery then Recuva (free) has worked for me

Copy the micro-SD card to the PC first and work on a copy so that you don’t damage any files further on the original

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Oddly enough I had this happen with a Samsung phone, I didn’t have much on the phone so I returned to card for a replacement.

PhotoRec is great for recovering, but I suggest reading about how it works first, it’s not a one click solution

uphilla
    Free Member

Thanks – card is recognised by some computers, or at least seems to have some impact on the system. Some photos went to dropbox and a some to Google before it filled up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dead SD Card – any hope!’ is closed to new replies.