Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dead oven…
  • verses

In case the morning routine thread wasn’t dull enough for you…

Our double oven packed in about 18 months ago, I fitted a replacement element and all’s been well since then, until last night.

The main oven doesn’t do anything at all, no fan, no light, no heat. The top oven and clock still work.

I’ve had the back off it and the element looks as new.

Can anyone suggest what else it might be before MrsV makes me open my wallet?

verses

Just a bump for the lunchtime DIY oven repairers…

somouk
    Free Member

This may seem silly and I’m not oven repairer but if it’s not turning anything on at all, could it be the knob that activates the oven has failed?

Muke
    Free Member

Ours has tripped a thermal cutout before, was located at the back under the outside covering. Took it off pressed the button back in and all was good.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Check the resistance of the element, just to be sure?

Had a similar thing with ours – turned out there a dodgy connection in the main terminal block from the switches to the elements and one of the cables burnt out. Repair was a five min job….. plus the 1hr+ to figure out how to into the thing!

alaric

If all else fails, I have a 6 month old Zanussi 600mm cooker that I haven’t got round to advertising…

We bought it in January then moved to house with an existing cooker in June.

Drop me a line if you’re interested alaricdarmon@gmail.com

Alaric.

verses

Thanks for the various suggestions.

Check the resistance of the element, just to be sure?

It did cross my mind that it might be dead but just not show physical signs of it. I can borrow a multimeter from work but I’m not so clued up on using them.

Would I;
    – Remove element
    – Set the multimeter to one of the Ohm settings (which?)
    – Touch red and black leads to either end of the element.
    – No reading implies dead? Reading below a certain level implies dead?

verses

Just found this clip to explain testing 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8w1w45TrnU[/video]

bristolbiker
    Free Member

It’ll either quote the resistance on it, or from the rated power you can work out what you would expect the resistance to be – much deviation from that and it’s probably worth replacing.

verses

Just had a text from MrsV to say she forgot it wasn’t working, turned it on and it’s sprung into life…

Very strange… I’m guessing there must be a loose connection somewhere…

kcal

that’s good!
    not some kind of delayed operation with the clock?

ours didn’t work once, realised it had been inadvertently ‘timed’ and was not working up until the set time had passed.

wwaswas

if you really suspect a loose wire I woulnd;t leave it unattended whilst switched on and I’d isolate from the mains when you’re not using it.

verses

kcal you might be on to something with the clock…

There was a power cut about an hour before we tried using it last night and I hadn’t bothered to set it afterwards. I wonder if there is something regarding it needing the clock to be set before the main oven will work…

Overnight I left it off at the isolator switch and then tried it again this morning (again not setting the clock).

I wonder if MrsV has set the clock while I’ve been at work and now it’s happy.

I hope it is something that silly!

verses

I’ve just found the manual online and guess what…

NOTE:
    The time of day must be set before the main oven
    will operate manually.

D’oh! 😳

10/10 and a gold star for kcal!

EDIT: In my defense, I looked through the troubleshoot section of the manual last night and it’s not mentioned there… It’s not even mentioned in the initial set up section! It only seems to be mentioned as an additional note in the oven timer section…

I guess every time we’ve had a power cut in the last 10 years, I’ve set the clock before attempting to use it…

wwaswas

we had that with our AEG oven. Our new Neff one seems more tolerant of not knowing the time of day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dead oven…’ is closed to new replies.