Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Dead frame – looking for replacement candidates
  • Chrace
    Free Member

So I bought a nice high-end XC carbon frame on eBay. Checked the frame number beforehand with a couple of likely police forces to make sure it wasn’t stolen. Paid cash on pick up at the address so I could check it thoroughly before handing over the dosh. Thought I’d done ok there.

Bought a bunch of components to match, built most of it myself and chucked it down to the LBS for finishing off the stuff I couldn’t figure out. And lo and behold, they’ve found a crack near the rear shock mount. Repairable? Hmm… Dead frame? Likely. Darn darn darn.

But since I’d still like to go riding, and now have a bunch of components, what frames are around to match the following?

Required:
    29er
    15mm front and 12mm rear axles
    Tapered steerer 1 1/8 – 1 1/2
    Rear shock 165×38
    I got 180/180 brakes, so min 160/160 prepared (can do adapters for the rest)
    Fairly compact headtube since the steerer is pretty low cut
    sram compatible BB (whichever way that may be)

Less important but with bonus points:
    44-55 headset (it was a Lapierre, I think Scott use the same?)
    31.6 seatpost

I obviously expect some loss, e.g. bushings and such, but just trying to minimise it.

So far I have found
    Lapierre 529/729/929
    Cannondale Scalpel 29 (assuming a twin fork can work just fine?)
    Cube AMS 100 Super HPC Race 29

It’s a bit of a dig around to find candidates, so if anyone know of some it’d be much appreciated. It was meant to be a low-cost project so I’d still go either 2nd hand or offer – a £2k frameset is not in the budget. 😐 It’ll be a waiting game and just hang around until a matching frame comes up but if I at least have the candidate list at hand it’ll be a lot easier.

If anyone know of specific offers I’m 6’1 (184cm) with 32″ inseam. I’d expect size ~18″/19″-ish, or Large, whichever format they use.

Thanks!

cokie

You don’t mention how much travel the frame has or you want.
    I’m assuming 100mm front and rear?

Post some pics of the crack- I’d be tempted to send it off for repair. I’d be surprised if someone can’t fix it.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Salsa spearfish…..

Chrace
    Free Member

Thanks for the super-quick answers folks, much appreciated.

It is 100mm indeed, Lapierre XR929. And since it is such a nice frame I think it might be time to try out a carbon repair shop. Can’t say I go easy when riding but I’m no pro either, just a weekend warrior. A repair might be just fine for the stress I put on it, especially if it’s possible to add some strengthening to the known flaw in that frame (and not bothered if it adds 50g).

Well spotted on the Salsa, hadn’t seen that before.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Dead frame – looking for replacement candidates’ is closed to new replies.