Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • DE Razor users – Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’ve always hated shaving. Electric didn’t work and wet shaving was unpleasant. I recently found these Gilletes and they’re amazing. Light and day compared to regular Mach something-or-others.

I’ve narrowed my Amazon shopping list to:

Astra Superior Platinum blades
    Proraso shaving soap jar
    Proraso boar hair brush

Merkur 34C razor or Edwin Jagger DE89

I’m a pretty competent wet shaver so don’t want something too aggressive. I don’t need babies-bum-smooth, just enough to look presentable in the classroom.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

RicB

I’ve had the Jagger one for years and it’s great. Only slight downside is the bulk above the blade means you can miss a bit under your nose. Having said that the Merkur looks pretty much the same.

Try a few different blades to see what works. Feather are mega sharp but flexy so I always nick myself. Derby blades not quite so sharp (still very sharp tho) but slightly thicker so less flex.

Before the middleclasstrackworld comments begin; I get a better shave than a multi-blade and spend £10 a year on blades so it’s worth it. I can shave on an evening and still look clean shaven for work next day.

chewkw
    Free Member

Make sure you double check the Astra blades are genuine. In fact always check to make sure all blades are genuine as plenty of fake ones out there. The more popular ones like Feather blades do attract fakes ones.

Both Merkur 34C or EJ DE89 are fine but in terms of aggressiveness I think the former is a tiny bit more than than the latter. Plenty of good reviews on them.

My favourite is Gillette Tech or barber pole Tech (both heavy version – not the light version with aluminum handle but if you like them they are fine too) which is less aggressive than the above two but I am no blue beard. They (Tech) are bloody expensive if you want to buy them now so keep an eye on them on e-bay.

If you use soap you can still buy Palmolive from Wilkinson for 50p per stick. Very good.

I have boar, badger and some unknown animal hair brush … I prefer boar.

dmck16
    Free Member

Definitely try a few different blades, switching back through your selection before settling.
    Horses for courses – I don’t get on with Derby or Astra blades, but really like Feather and Wilkinson Swords.

With regards to the razor, have you considered a Merkur 23c? The longer handle seems to balance the razor better than my shorter ones, making it more comfortable to use. It also isn’t very aggressive.

Have a look on the Shave Lounge website if you haven’t – useful reviews, usually good on price, and the customer service has been brilliant too.

bigblackshed

Out of the two razors I’d personnally go for the Merkur. It has a bit of knurling on the handle for extra grip when wet. Both are “heavy” razors, both will shave close and smooth with practice. Weight is a good thing.

But in true STW style, I’ll recommend what I have. The Merkur 23C. Longer handle for my bear hands.

Astra blades are a nice balance between sharpness, longevity, and a bit of forgiveness. I settled on Astras after trying various brands in a couple of multi-packs, and used them for about a year before jumping up to Feathers. It’s all personal though.

Cougar

I can’t remember whether it was Astra or Derby now, but one of those two cut me to ribbons every time I used them. Feathers all the way for me.

If I were you, I’d get a selection pack.

Cougar

Also, “light and day” are the same thing, “night” is the word you’re looking for. (-:

As for brushes, I have a STW niche thing that’s make from unicorn hair and dodo bones or something, but the el cheapo Wilkinson Sword thing you can get in supermarkets for a couple of quid really isn’t bad.

The difference between a proper DE razor and the plastic crap ones is vast; between cheap and expensive brushes, not so much IME.

jp-t853

I have had two de89’s for years and they work well. The lined one is much better that the smooth chrome one. The smooth one can be slippy if you have soap on your hands.

A friend who uses a merkur futura borrowed one and found the de89 much better for shaving under his nose, he liked it a lot

djambo
    Free Member

I can shave on an evening and still look clean shaven for work next day.

This is the biggest attraction for me of DE razors for me.

I’m not a hairy beast so i can enjoyed an unrushed shave in the evening and i’m like a babies bum the next day. In fact I’m presentable at work for the next 2 or 3 days (at a squeek).

I’ve got the Jagger and i’m still working my way through a box of Astras I bought about 2 years ago!

igm

Git. I shave (with any sort of razor) and I have 5 o’clock shadow within seconds.

DE all the way though it’s better and cheaper than cartridge.

Jagger and Feather here.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

It’s a Merkur Futur for me.A bit spendy, but a Lovely Thing with great weight and balance. Also adjustble. The “Day The Earth Stood Still” look is a bonus.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks all. I had read about making sure to get a textured handle.

I considered the longer handled razors but prefer the shorter handled disposables to longer ones so I’d imagine it’ll be the same for DE. The Gillette click pictured in my OP is a fraction shorter than even the two razors I posted. I think the shorter should be better. My hand’s aren’t bear hands…

I’ve read about rying different blades but I only get to use delivery services (like Amazon) a couple of times a year. We live abroad and most won’t deliver so we wait for someone to visit.

Yep, too spendy for me Chubby. Lovely looking though.

mooman
    Free Member

I got the merkur 23 and the Edwin Jagger; both comfortable to use, but not the most aggressive.

My personal favourite is the Gillette red tip. It gives a closer shave, but not too close that it irritates skin … unlike the less aggressive New’s which I just can’t get on with.

I use Astra blades and whatever shave foam; the whole soap & brush thing is just a chore.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I have been using a Merkur 34C with an Edwin Jagger badger brush.

Agree with the comments about getting a trial pack of blades. IIRC I didn’t get on with Derby and found I cut myself more with the Feathers. I have settled on Gillette 7:00 o’clock sharp edge in the yellow packet as the best compromise.

The soap also makes a difference. Of the ones I have tried, I keep going back to the Geo Trumper

Its also worth getting one of the little stands for the razor and brush

sharkbait
    Free Member

Thanks all. I had read about making sure to get a textured handle.

Interestingly I don’t have any problem holding the Futur even with wet, soapy hands.
    It’s not the best for under the nose but I also have a 1949 Gillette Aristocrat Junior and a Super Speed to play with as well.

Just seen that an Aristocrat Junior with case has recently sold for £150!

retro83
    Free Member

Prefer the 89 personally, I use Feather blades with it. It is all personal taste though. You can buy blade testing kits on ebay with about 10 different types of blade to try.

stumpy01

Got myself a Merkur razor – can’t remember the model, but it works fine. Might be a 23C?

Blades – got some Astra’s. They are OK – a bit middle of the road, perhaps.
    Derby don’t suit me at all.
    Feather – OK, but frequently nick myself.

I bought a 10 selection pack from Connaught Shaving.

The best blades so far for me seem to be the Gillette Silver Blue blades….

stumpy01

Oh, and regarding the soap….

I have currently got a shaving soap – German brand – can’t remember the name, but much prefer the Taylor’s shaving cream that I used before. It stays ‘wet’ for longer, whereas the soap tends to have dried by the time I get to the last bits for shaving. The cream also stays lather-y in the brush, so you can whack a bit more on straight from the brush if needed, whereas the soap seems to ‘disappear’.

I’ll be going back to the Taylor’s sandalwood cream once the soap I am currently using runs out…

This stuff:

https://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/shaving-cream/3973245-Taylor-of-Old-Bond-Street-Sandalwood-Shaving-Cream-696770010013.html

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘DE Razor users – Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89?’ is closed to new replies.