Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • DB inline second hand, worth it?
  • kimbers

I know these had a few issues

do cane creak have a decent fix now, will they refurb, – is it through TF, how much etc?

cheers

legend
    Free Member

I bought one of the upgraded/updated/whatever ones second hand (but a brand new, never seen a bike, warranty replacement) in October. It’s lasted 6 rides and it’s already going shitty

wiggles
    Free Member

I wouldn’t if you paid me

orangeboy
    Free Member

Only ones we have seen at work were all on Spesh bikes. Spesh replaced them with rock shox ones when they all failed

chakaping
    Free Member

No.

Especially not if you are on a Process still.

Drop me a line if you want more info, but basically it was awesome and then it broke very quickly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Was the spesh issue the usual one where the frame flex goes through the shock and chews it up?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Most of the inline had failed damping within a very short space of time and the replacement rock shox ones seem to have been fine and with customers saying improved performance.

Two of my ride pals have enduros that had replacement rs shocks and both are fine now

sweaman2
    Free Member

Also wouldn’t if you paid me. Went through 3 on a HD3 before switching to a Fox.

Tracey

Mine has just been replaced under warranty. Started knocking whilst out in the Alps and the loosing air. Was replaced by Specialized with a Rockshox. Ive put Abigales spare Ohlins on whilst I got round to sending it back. It seems a shame to swap it back as it is so smooth

darrenspink
    Free Member

Had mine rebuilt three times now and they seem to have settled on a good procedure as its been a few months now without any issues. If its got a blue seal TF thbed have recently rebuilt it.

Had just as many problems with my other shock, an RS debonair.

Edit.. Just to add they are fantastic when working.

kimbers

Yes this is for my Process

needed new mount hardware for my dhx

So I stuck the OEM monarch back on and I remembered why I upgraded -as I just can’t set it for my weight.

But I did like the lockout switch (well the theory of it in practice it’s not great)

Oh well my quest continues

Cheers everyone

chakaping
    Free Member

On my PC now so will add a bit more…

Basically I had a new warranty one I bought secondhand, having previously had mixed reliability from them – but they do feel soooo good and the climb switch is the best in the biz.

It lasted about three or four rides, failing in Finale Ligure.

When fixing it up Dave at TF Tuned (the CC expert there) had a theory that the transverse mounting on the Process may have made the bladder more likely to fail by moving its position in relation to another part on the inside of the can.

I know they can last OK but I’m not going to take the chance again.

PS. I’d take anything about “blue seals” or whatever as hypothesis and Chinese whispers.

legend
    Free Member

Given that mines on a Five, meaning that the alignment of the rear end can be shifted, I wonder if the swing arm being slightly to one side would cause the same issue?

chiefgrooveguru

Love my DBair but I wouldn’t buy a secondhand Inline, no way. About halfway down this article there’s an explanation, from Cane Creek’s perspective, of why they’ve had problems:

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/cane-creek-c-quent-shock-explained-2016.html

RobHilton
    Free Member

“blue seals”

Isn’t that a punchline to a joke?

sambob
    Free Member

Are normal DB air shocks reasonably safe on a Process, or do they suffer the same fate as the Inlines?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

FWIW, I have had a DB inline on my Bronson for 2 years and it’s been faultless. Difficult to believe how much better it made the bike compared to original Fox

chakaping
    Free Member

Given that mines on a Five, meaning that the alignment of the rear end can be shifted, I wonder if the swing arm being slightly to one side would cause the same issue?

I know there was talk shortly after they were launched about them not being suitable for heavy riders on single pivots, that may have come from TF actually.

Give them a bell for a chat, as they’ll most likely be fixing it anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are normal DB air shocks reasonably safe on a Process, or do they suffer the same fate as the Inlines?

Dunno but you need a custom wider eyelet to fit them, because of the rear mount using that yoke with no bushing.

They come with a narrower eyelet as standard, though if you were buying a secondhand one and paying for a service anyway, the replacement eyelet wouldn’t add too much to the cost.

Worth considering the Vivid Air if you see a reasonably priced 200×57 – that has a lovely feel a lot like a Cane Creek. Assuming you’re talking about the Process 153 that is.

sambob
    Free Member

Yeah, just bought an XL 153 frame to build up over christmas. It’s got a Monarch+ on it currently, but the shock shaft is showing signs of wear so it’ll need replacing at some point. How do they pedal without any climb switch?

chakaping
    Free Member

How do they pedal without any climb switch?

Average I’d say, not as bad as some.

Mine’s gone now, but I thought it really benefited from having a high-quality shock. The ride could be a bit “direct” with a more basic shock – so I used to get knackered riding long, rocky trails.

markpallister
    Free Member

Will you lot pack it in
    I’ve just bought the one that was for sale on here

legend
    Free Member

I know there was talk shortly after they were launched about them not being suitable for heavy riders on single pivots, that may have come from TF actually.

Do I qualify at 60kg? Going to try Crane Creek directly first to see what they suggest then inevitably ship it to TF. Mine pedals pretty well with the CS off (which is where it will remain until sorted)

legend
    Free Member

markpallister – Member
    Will you lot pack it in
    I’ve just bought the one that was for sale on here

4 rides till you suspect trouble, 6 till it’s confirmed 😉

poah
    Free Member

I had a dbinline at 80kg on a high leverage ratio bike and it was brilliant. no issues what so ever with it, only sold it because I got a new frame and it wouldn’t fit. Currently running a DB coil IL

pedlad

2 years service on my spitfire from mine. Performance went off a bit ahead of a service but came back from tft all sorted and been sweet since then.

markpallister
    Free Member

That’s more like it

ajantom

I pre-ordered one when they came out, it’s been faultless on my DMR Bolt since. Probably (definately!) due a service, but to be honest I’ve not noticed any drop off in performance. I wipe down the seals after every ride, and give it a spray of fork juice before each outing.
    Had to replace one of the bushings the other week, that’s it so far.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I bought a second hand one for my Rocket and not had any problems with it. BUT it doesn’t get ridden much so only time will tell.
    However bought a brand new one for my Ibis Ripley from TFT and it went asthmatic and squelchy after about 6 rides. Sent it back under warranty and it’s been fine ever since. It has the blue seal if that makes any difference? This one is a 184×44 which doesn’t seem to be that popular a size so may have been old stock maybe???
    Cheers
    Steve

legend
    Free Member

The blue seal is supposedly a tell tale that it’s got updated internals. As mentioned above though, it’s questionable how much truth there is in that

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘DB inline second hand, worth it?’ is closed to new replies.