Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • DB Alpine seatpost slippage
  • marmottefarcie
    Free Member

I’m having difficulty getting the seatpost secure on my Dialled Alpine frame.
    I have a qr seatpost collar of the specified size, I have lightly greased the seatpost to prevent it seizing into the seattube and even when the collar is done up really tight, the seatpost slips down over the course of a ride.
    I have tried a different qr collar (having managed to destroy an identiti one) and three different seatposts and it still happens.
    I have a similar set up on another bike with no slippage at all.
    I am loathe to use no grease at all in case the post eventually seizes into the seattube.
    Am I best to go to a collar with an allen key fixing and just do it up mega tight?
    Anyone else experienced this problem on the Alpine and if so what’s the answer?
    Thanks

catfood
    Free Member

Try carbon paste, had the same problem on my inbred, no slipping now.

swampi
    Free Member

some times a touch of sandpapering inside seattube can help,maybe its just seatube size tolerance as you have tried diff posts etc, but i have had the problems a few times over the years and the easiest cure i have used is the carbon paste, works like a treat but will/can scratch your post etc

Jamie
    Free Member

Have a Dialled Alpine. Have a Salsa Flip-Lock QR. Don’t have any slippage.

marmottefarcie
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions about carbon paste.
    Is this the stuff you mean?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26768

Jamie, I’ve tried and knackered an Identiti QR, the current Hope QR isn’t holding the post so the Salsa Flip Lock QR may be the answer as far as you are concerned? I’ll give it a try…..

The seat post doesn’t really need greasing as it won’t seize in there if you raise/lower/remove it occasionally.

Rich_s

the current Hope QR isn’t holding the post so the Salsa Flip Lock QR may be the answer as far as you are concerned?

Gnadgers – just ordered a Hope one to try and stop my Thomson slipping. Hey ho – mind you, it doesn’t shift much when tightened; I’d just rather it was a better fit into the seattube in the first place…

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Like Jamie, Salsa flip lock with an old Race Face XY post. All fine.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ive got a cheap version of a Salsa clamp on my Alpine with a Thomson post, no slipping. The identiti clamp I had before was **** cos you couldnt tighten it enoguh due to the short lever and slipping always occured.

The Thomson post varies in diameter too, with the seat down its a good fit but move it up and its looser

cynic-al
    Free Member

it will feel tighter when more of it is engaged in the frame.

alpin
    Free Member

i do find the seat tube on the Alpine larger than that on my Sanderson. both specify 27,2mm post but the same Thomson post is a tighter (better) fit on the Sanderson.

using a Salsa QR clamp and not probs. have recently bought a Salsa seatpost and find that alhough it is 30g heavier it is a better fit. Thomson on the Sanderson is fine.

rs
    Free Member

chromag post and collar here, tighter than a ducks arse!

marmottefarcie
    Free Member

Just wanted to say thank you very much to all of you for your advice.
    The consensus view was “get a Salsa qr collar”.
    I got one and you were all correct – the seatpost now stays put.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.
    All the best
    marmottefarcie

scruff
    Free Member

+1 for Chromag clamps, best Ive ever used.

Phil_H

It might be worth greasing the pivot of the salsa QR every so often.
    I ran mine dry and actioning the QR bent the bolt over time. The seat post then started to slip.
    Regular greasing of the pivot & everything is fine.
    (I do tend to do QRs up tight though)

mk1fan
    Free Member

I had similar problems on my Inbred.

I used carbon paste (Finish Line Fibre Grip) and fitted a Brand-X double clamp. No slippage since.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘DB Alpine seatpost slippage’ is closed to new replies.