Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • DB Alpine questions
  • psychle
    Free Member

I happen to have a spare specialized E150 fork (dual crown, 110-150mm travel jobbie), I bought it as a backup for my Enduro. Seems a shame to just have it lying around though, so I thought I might pick up a frame to bolt it on to… Would a Dialled Alpine be a good choice do you think? Oh, and can you run an Alpine with an Alfine (or SS for that matter?). cheers chappies 🙂

smurfbiker
    Free Member

Well, not sure about that specific fork per-se, but the alpine is certainly best-suited to a sturdy 150mm travel fork. Its an awesome frame, totally bomb proof but great geometry for all-day riding too. The stiffer the better, basically! Yes, you can run it with an Alfine – my mate ran his like this – or even SS if you run a chain tensioner too.

I also happen to have my Alpine frame for sale, if you are interested?

psychle
    Free Member

Could be Mr Smurf… what size is it? cheers for the reply 🙂

ash

Oh, and can you run an Alpine with an Alfine (or SS for that matter?)

yes and yes… have done both

just make sure you get a decent tensioner… I like the one that Fireeye do.

ash

in Summer SS mode for Les Arcs…

psychle
    Free Member

probably a silly question, but do you need a tensioner with an Alfine hub? I’m guessing yes btw 🙂

rs
    Free Member

Just one thing about the spesh fork, the dialled webiste says it’ll take just about any single crown fork, might want to check the warranty situation if you were to stick a dual crown on there.

ash

do you need a tensioner with an Alfine hub? I’m guessing yes

and you’d be correct 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

It’s more of an All mountain dual crown rather than some hardcore DH fork, should be OK I’d have thought (though I have dropped Dialled an email to check 🙂 ) It’s specced on the carbon Enduro, so it should be OK on a steel frame surely?

rs
    Free Member

doesn’t matter whether the fork is meant for DH or AM, it’ll put different stresses on the frame than what it has been designed for (maybe), let us know what mike says, would be interested to know.

psychle
    Free Member

Dang the guys at Alpine are on the ball! Fired off an email 20 minutes ago and already have a reply, excellent work 🙂 They say the E150 will be fine, so looks like an Alpine is in my future 😛

rs
    Free Member

cool, pics once built!

psychle
    Free Member

They offered a pretty decent price for a new frame as well… but they only have 15″/21″ ones in stock (won’t have anything else till later in the year). I wonder if this’ll be too small for me? 🙁 I’m 5’9″)

ash

No that will be fine !

I’m on a 17″/22″ but I’m 3″ taller than you and have the longest legs in the world :FACT:

psychle
    Free Member

[edit] nothing to see here anymore… 🙂 [edit]

smurfbiker
    Free Member

sorry psychie, I havent worked out how to get this new forum working properly – the old one used to send me emails when a thread id posted to got a reply!

Frame size is 17″/23″

And another thing…..how do you do PM’s on this new site?! Grrr
    Anyway Pshychie, if you can work it out (I bloody cant!), email me direct and i can send you pics/more details if you like. Price wise, am certainly open to any serious offers.

I_Ache
    Free Member

smurfbiker there is a bit in your profile to put in your email address like in mine just click on the member next to my name. And I will have the alpine if you will accept £100 for it. Cheeky offer I know but its all I can afford. And credits for helping you out.

backhander
    Free Member

Am I being daft or are there no dropouts on this frame?

backhander
    Free Member

*I meant replaceable dropouts

snotrag

Most Steel frames don’t.

And trust me, its not really going to be an issue.

You will have atomised a rear mech before you damage the dropout I reckon.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ditto snotrags comment, steel frames hangers are about twice as strong as their aluminium equivalent.

On the old fou there was a thead with pics of someoes brand new 456 which within a few rides they’d bent the mech hanger back up beyond horisontal after the mech got sucked into the wheel, a bit of perswasion in a vice later and apart from the paint fallig off it was like new.

Even if you did somehow damage it beyon repair any fame builder will b capable of welding a new dropout on in its place.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Baggage handlers mangled the dropout on my PA the other week and its been straightened by my local friendly frame builder. It can be a DIY job with steel but prefer to have it perfectly inline!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘DB Alpine questions’ is closed to new replies.