Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • A day's riding in and around Sheffield? Suggestions please
  • tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Wife has got a conference in Sheffield on the 24th June, was thinking of tagging along with her to sample some riding in Sheffield.

Any suggestions that allows me to ride out from Sheffield itself (as we are likely to come up by train) and cover about 5 to 6 hrs

Thanks

MrNice
    Free Member

do you have the Vertebrate Graphics Dark Peak book? Pretty sure it includes the route out through the parks. Or you could get off the train at Dore and ride up through Ecclesall Woods. Either way you end up on the Eastern Moors with plenty to go at. How well do you know the area?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

no idea about the area MrNice, was reading up on Wharncliffe but everything suggests one needs to ride with a local to ensure you hit the right stuff

MrNice
    Free Member

Wharncliffe is very good if you like DH/enduro type stuff but you’ll do a lot of laps in 5 to 6 hours. Similar for Parkwood so I assumed you’d be looking to get out into the Peak.

Just been downstairs for a look at the VG book. It does have both the links I mentioned and suggests routes to join to once you’re out of town.

I’d be looking at out through the parks, up the bastard (porter clough) and over to Redmires and Stanage Pole. Down the plantation steps, back up the dale and over houndkirk moor. From that point you can cut left through blacka and home via Eccy woods. Or if you’re still keen there are add-on loops further south. Longshaw estate then Totley Moor back into Blacka would be good. Beyond that you’ve got the Froggat/Curbar permissive bridleways but it’s a long way back into town.

All depends how fast/strong you are 🙂

jekkyl

Sheffield’s a city I would like to spend a lot of time in with my bike. The whole city is populated with little bits of woods all over, if you got an OS map you could map out a great ride through all the woods using bridleways and tracks. The route would be fun but it wouldn’t be very epic! I’d suggest getting out into the peaks as well, if you cycled out of the south of the city down abbeydale road and then just carry on up the hill you can get to lots of accesible peak stuff. In additon to what MrNice said you could get the train to dore and head south, picking up bits of the linacre classic starting at holmesfield (VG white peaks book) I did it the other week and loved it, perfect for 5 hours of riding. I have all the gpx for the white peak rides, email on profile if you want any.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I would recommend riding from the station to endcliff park (from vg dark peak book out and back rides from sheffield)
    Then continue the above route by doing the stanage loop (also in the vg dark peak book) there’s a good few add-ons around houndkirk and blacka moor also

Otherwise get the train from sheff to hope and any of the standard hope valley or Derwent rides

MrNice
    Free Member

for anyone who wants to link Dore station to the white peak rides there are various little bits of woodland to ride through on the way out to Holmesfield and an entertaining descent down past woodthorpe hall on the way back.

Deveron53
    Free Member

OR, train to Penistone then do Cutgate. After that head to Edale via various interesting routes. Then up Jacob’s ladder and through Hayfield then up the long drag, back to Edale and catch the train back to Sheffield or go over Whin Hill area/Hope Cross and down past the dam to catch a train from Bamford station back to Sheffield.
    OR train to Chinley and ride back via Hayfield and come down Jacob’s ladder.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Ride out following the Dark Peak Guide route out as suggested (Eccy Rd., Endcliffe Park, Whitley Woods, Cardiac Killer) then ride Houndkirk Moor, then onto Blacka and ride all 3 descents (Lenny Hill, Piper House and Devils Elbow) linking them up via climbing back up one of the descents or use the road (Shorts Lane, etc).

Then use Dark Peak Route guide for the route back in (Dore, Ecclesall Woods, Abbeydale Rd).

I lived in Sheff for 12 years and still go back (from Leeds) at least once a month to ride my old local loop ^^^ Some of the best riding in the Peak IMO.

PM me if you want any further info.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Thanks a ton chaps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘A day's riding in and around Sheffield? Suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.