Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Daydreaming about a lottery win – Part 2 – Airfix
  • thepurist

Damn – it was listed under 1/72nd which was already on the small side.

TheFlyingOx

Tom Walkinshaw Racing Jaguar kit from Hasegawa

I would dearly love to know where to get these from. They’re like hen’s teeth and it’s the perfect birthday present for my buddy. Well, apart from an actual XJS.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Price is too expensive, it’s not Airfix .. big dose of fail for me, but it would have to be..

Revell’s 1:96 scale Saturn V –

our local observatory had one for years

ChrisL

I got a little older and realised Citadel Miniatures were the way forwards. So I’d buy £15 worth of those

They were expensive enough back when I was a kid, surely these days £15 will get you not much more than maybe a single 1″ Space Marine or similar?

Airfix kits were and continue to be a bit rubbish really.

Some of the actually new stuff they’re putting out seems to be pretty good. They may not be up there with the cream of the Japanese kits but they generally don’t cost anywhere near as much, either.

Given the 15 quid budget for this question, I’d probably go for one of the Canberras. Or maybe a Sea Harrier FRS.1 and one of the new Spitfires.

mogrim

They were expensive enough back when I was a kid, surely these days £15 will get you not much more than maybe a single 1″ Space Marine or similar?

They’re all plastic these days, 15 quid might get you two.

Kuco

I had the Saturn rocket as a kid but mine never reached the moon when I threw it out of the window though to see how far it would fly.

derek_starship
    Free Member

This was my favouite model. A 1:1 replica kit of the legendary .44 Automag pistol as used by Dirty Harry in Sudden Impact. It had a magazine full of plastic cartridges that ejected from the side port when the slide was drawn back. It cost £11.99 in 1986 and was ace. Needless to say, my parents weren’t too keen.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Gee-Jay – Member
    I have a Hurricane at home to build. Problem is trying to get the kids (7 & 9) to want to they appear to prefer the Wii … re-education is in order.

Tonight is Hurricane night!

Bloody hell, I just bought a Hurriane today, to build with my 5 year old so he can take it into Show and Tell on Monday.

He’s currently playing the f****g Wii.

MrSparkle

you can come round and give me a hand with it if you want.

Get a room!

C’mon boys – the old maxim: ‘Balls drop – building little plastic models (of aeroplanes, ships and various vehicles including bicycles) – stops.’

Harry_the_Spider

You big sour-puss. I bet you were rubbish at them. Wonky transfers and gluey finger prints on the cockpit glass.

Me and Terra and Derek Startship are all grown up now anyway. That is why we are playing out in the dark on our push bikes later.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I completed a substantial number of these between the ages of 6 and 13. Then I moved on to balsa aeroplane kits. I built several planes and a lovely Kielcraft boat kit. It’s a 34″ scale model of a navy fire tender and after 34 years is still nestling in a box in my loft. I keep meaning to get it out and refurb it, but have enough stuff to think about (like posting on here). 😆

MrSparkle

Harry – yes, I was guilty of the odd wonky transfer and some shocking paint jobs. I also used the bits of leftover plastic to extend the forks on several model motorcycles thus turning them into hideous unweildy choppers (ooh, er missus).
    I do have very fond memories of a badminton racket cull of all the models dangling from my bedroon ceiling when I was about 14.

Harry_the_Spider

I took out HMS Ark Royal with half a dozen disposable lighters and 50 Swan Vestas.

Sadly it was more PFFFFF than KA-BOOM!

yoda
    Free Member

This!

Tinners

I have a 1930 Supercharged 4.5L Bentley 1:12 scale Airfix kit in an unopened box upstairs (still has the cellophane around it). Mrs T bought it for me many years ago (don’t know why – I love all things mechanical but not into model making). Airfix don’t make it any more, apparently. Never had the time or inclination to build it and can’t bring myself to open the box because I know that I’d do a cack-handed job of it.

Northwind

I always liked the airfix ships. Had loads of places but didn’t get many boats. So I’ll have this:

http://www.themodelcatalogue.com/shopexd.asp?id=247

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Wow, TSR-2 amazing, if only the real ones were flying…(bl**dy labour) Someone made me a very large Harrier Gr3 (1/24?) when i was small, great stuff. That Mozzie is nice too, but £130!

MoreCashThanDash

I was told I could have anything from the Airfix catalogue as a reward for my “O” level results – I went for the Saturn V rocket.

One of my happiest memories is my dad being home from a tour with the RAF and spending the evenings with him building the 1:24th Spitfire with a motor to run the propellor.

Last week I watched him sitting building a Lancaster with his grandson – my little lad. Lovely to see that interest and link going through the generations.

(My lad has just started out on the simple prepainted Airfix kits, for no other reason than it is something he can just about do himself with a bit of time and help from me or his grandpa)

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Swadey, that’s a really great memory. nice to see the circle complete!

Saccades
    Free Member

Westland Lysander, because it’s the last one i made. I felt sorry for it because it hadn’t been sold in my 7 years or so of building…

Cletus

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Ah well, Hurricane didn’t get started last night, stuff got in the way (not the Wii 🙂 ) Maybe tonight, the misses is out & the 9 year old is at cubs so just me & the 7 year old

rkk01
    Free Member

The first “big” model that I built – was very special to me as the relative who gave it as a Christmas present used to fly them…

U31
    Free Member

The F4U Corsairs were always my fave airfix kit as a kid…
    Can i put too and buy this?
    http://www.corsair82.com/

iDave
    Free Member

never would have put airfix and lottery win together before.

being from ulster, my airfix models were introduced to little bombs we made by cutting open shotgun cartridges and salvaging the power…

my action men could have done with a little action figure Selly Oak

willard

Gentlemen, you’re aiming a little low with just Airfix.

Whilst I admit that they are the name everyone knows, they are but one brand. What you need to do is visit http://www.hannants.co.uk/ and have a look at the joy that a warehouse full of plastic model can give a grown man.

I’ve always wanted one of these… http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/IT1065

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I remember as a kid I had a Jolly Green Giant (like the sea dragon not the yellow fella who advertises corn), I seem to remember using it to ferry small soldiers to ambush the hornby train as it passed under my bed 🙂

Most models came ot a fiery end when I discovered filling them with matches & caps an setting fire to them… The Graf Spee was certainly one.

BenjiM

Last Model I finished was a Super Cobra (Revell 1:72). I’m currently working on a Red Arrows Gnat (Airfix and bloody terrible kit 1:72), Also working on a Single Seater Typhoon (Revell 1:72) but it’s a bit boring. Next up is a 1:32 Spitfire MkIX. Already done a 1:72 Spitfire so looking forward to doing a big one!

tree-magnet
    Free Member

It’s time to man up, ladies! 😡

It didn’t end that well though… 😥 http://gareth.ayto.fotoblog.org.uk/c1388291.html

Saying that, I built a 1/72 huricane, spitfire, lancaster and mosquito for my (at the time) unborn nipper that are now hanging from his bedroom window.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member
    zokes
    Free Member

Gentlemen, you’re aiming a little low with just Airfix.

STW must be the only mountain biking forum in the world where:

a) There is a thread about Airfix

b) Someone turns up to say your Airfix is Saracin and that you should have bought some niche brand for 10 times the price

molgrips
    Free Member

Tree-magnet – how much for a basic plane, radio and engine?

richmars

I’ve spent summer (and about £80) on one of these:
    http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=Pkz3600

Everything in the box, just a shame I can’t fly, but I’m getting better. Best £80 I’ve spent in ages, like being 10 again (I even had to climb a few trees to get it back). Well worth it.
    Video here:
    http://www.parkzone.com/ProdInfo/Files/PKZ3600_hi.wmv

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

@Gee-Jay, that is phenomenal!

molgrips
    Free Member

I would quite like to build it up myself tho…

handyman
    Free Member

My son and i are building several tamiya tanks to build a large battle diorama and i have the saturn five in the cupboard awaiting build time, i have a retired vicar friend whose brother in law collected airfix and frog but never built them he has a shed 8 by 12 full of them to sort and do something with, some of the kits are nearly as old as me (52)

tree-magnet
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Tree-magnet – how much for a basic plane, radio and engine?

Starting with a trainer (that’s a sort of second step aircraft) then you can get all in kits for around the £180 mark.

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk

I’d link you to some examples, but work have blocked the site as “game playing”. Tards. 🙄 Look for the albatros, it’s what I started on and really forgiving. You need to get good at repairing with glue though to start off with! lol

ourmaninthenorth

When I was a kid, I sooooo wanted a radio controlled plane. Was way out of the reach of my pocket money then.

Those Mustamgs look ace..!

Rubber_Buccaneer

You bunch of losers! If I was going to make a model…

richmars

Those Mustamgs look ace..!

The thing with the Parkzone planes is that they are so light if you fly over long grass it’s very hard to do any damage. They’re not for learners but that didn’t stop me having a lot of fun. It needs a bit of patching up now but next summer….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Daydreaming about a lottery win – Part 2 – Airfix’ is closed to new replies.