Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • daydream time – ultralight fat bike frame?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

What is there?…s/h beargrease, anyone doing anything in ti? Could the chinese custom ti guys do one?

Clink

Quite a few ti ones out there – google is your friend.

njee20
    Free Member

Loads of the Chinese guys are doing carbon ones too. Super light and ti… Not a combination I’d go with.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I saw a chinese one on’t’bay for £400…I know some have got on fine with unbranded ones, but there have been some fails also?

Andy

Was musing along the same lines; for me needs to be

4″ fat
    29er +
    Threaded bb
    44mm headtube
    Singlespeed capable

which my mukluk currently covers! Not sure how much lighter a carbon/ti frame would be…

cozz
    Free Member

for me id go

borealis (not got)
    9zero7 whiteout (want)
    or carver ti o’beast (got)

njee20
    Free Member

I know some have got on fine with unbranded ones, but there have been some fails also?

Is that a question, or a statement? I’ve not seen a broken one, but I’ve not looked. I didnt say unbranded anyway – Light Bicycle, Carbonality, Flyxii etc all do fat bikes now IIRC

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is that a question, or a statement?

Feeling pedantic today? Have a coffee.

scotroutes

I’m a little concerned that ultra-lightweight and no suspension could be problematic, but teamed up with even front suspension it would be great.

I’m already thinking about Ti fatbikes suitable for 26×4 and 27.5×3

Andy

I’m already thinking about Ti fatbikes suitable for 26×4 and 27.5×3

The Travers does look good!

cynic-al
    Free Member

ultra-lightweight and no suspension could be problematic

Why? I don’t see why 1.5kg alu frame shouldn’t be straightforward. The riding style and 4″ tyres mean peak loads will be lower.

njee20
    Free Member

Feeling pedantic today? Have a coffee.

I’m pedantic every day Al! I was being serious though, wasn’t sure if it was a question, I’ve not seen a broken one.

akak
    Free Member

I think a Trek Farley 6 is pretty light, I don’t know about ultralight. Isn’t it lighter wheels that you really want anyway, which the Canyon fatbike coming next year will have?

cynic-al
    Free Member

😀 @ njee

Isn’t it lighter wheels that you really want anyway, which the Canyon fatbike coming next year will have?

How so?

showerman
    Free Member

was going this route but at time unable to supply bolt though fork. so went for the beargrease which i will keep ridged. on the wish list now is a 180mm fs fattie funbike

http://www.lamerecycles.com/#!fatbike/c1ff7

cynic-al
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Light Bicycle, Carbonality, Flyxii etc all do fat bikes now IIRC

No, none of them do.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nor does XACD 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

That’s weird, could’ve sworn I’d seen them.

SidewaysTim

The Borealis Yampa is 3.1lb not a lot will be lighter than that. Add some HED rims and you’re in the sub 24lb complete bike region.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Demo Beargrease @ Bike City in Wells, medium I believe too
    Been there a while so I think they want to sell it on

scotroutes

Canyon?

The weights they quoted for the bikes were 11.8kg for the rigid bikes and 12.9kg for the Bluto-equipped

rickmeister

Rode with some folk who had a mix of bikes and the Ti Linskey was heavier than the Carbon Beargrease. Admittedly, these were full builds having different rims and build kits. Personally I would take a Beargrease or Yampa, preferring a carbon frame, but obviously what is attached to it will make a massive difference.

njee20
    Free Member

Not surprising. The Beargrease is light, lighter frame than my Superfly.

flashes
    Free Member

So how about; who makes a VERY light Single Speed Fatbike, 65mm rims, will do……….

njee20
    Free Member

1150g, dunno about price.

nedrapier

gee on here was raving about how much difference his carbon rims made.
    Salsa beargrease, don’t know if the tyres were especailly lightweight, but he was using words like gamechanger. So budget for some of them, will probably make more difference than half a kilo on the frame.

google “singletrackworld gee elite race fatbike carbon” you should find the thread.

Edit: there you go:
    http://www.xcracer.com/big-dog-and-elite-fatbike-double-header.html

njee20
    Free Member

His Beargrease is really nice, it feels a lot quicker than it looks like it should!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘daydream time – ultralight fat bike frame?’ is closed to new replies.