Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Day trip pack – what do you take out
  • gboarder
    Free Member

Hi,

After a longish lay-off I’m back and planning on spending a week in the Peak riding and was after peep’s thoughts on what they take out for a full day ride. 40 miles / 4-6 hour rides.

Normally take drink and some easy food like malt loaf and spare tube, tyre levers, patches, pump and multi tool. Will most likely throw in a gel or two for emergencies as well as mobile and some money.

Will be riding on my own, so need to be relatively self contained.

What does everybody else carry?

Thanks

G

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep, that’s pretty much what I take!

Plus some SRAM chain links.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Chain tool if you haven’t got it and what PeterPoddy said, chain links! I as of recently always carry a spoke tool with me too (which may be included in your tool anyway).

Also always carry a first aid kit (and you need to know how to use it of course).

Waterproof jacket too. Very important.

drofluf
    Free Member

I’d add a map! Unless you really know where you are

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Spare spokes, I keep mine in the handlebars of each bike, held in by a lump of blutak, couple of each size needed on that bike, then no need to wory about carying the right ones.

In my all day bag I’ve got……..

1st aid kit (not 100% comprihensive, but enough to hopefully get me/someone else off the hill or at least stop the bleeding.

Assorted food, although I rarely eat it since discovering energy drinks, 2/3 scoop of maltodextrin, 1/3 scoop of fructose per litre is more than enough to keep me from bonking on anything under an actual all day ride.

Spare tubes, multi tool, chain links, mech hanger, gear cable, zip ties, brake pads, tyre boot/toothpaste tube, pump, patches, tyre levers.

Waterproof

Survival sack and foil blanket.

portlyone

plus one for SRAM power links, saved me a long walk recently.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Pretty much the same as thisisnotaspoon plus a whistle, some of those hand warmer gel packs, woolly hat and some bog roll just in case I get ” caught out ” 😀

topangarider
    Free Member

Ditto. Defo take a shell you can throw on for lunch/unexpected stop. 1st aid kit if you know how to use it. Map & compass and the ability to use them.

Manage to get all my stuff in a TNF Hammerhead.

Taff
    Free Member

Duct tape wrapped around a pump, few zip ties, compass & map, bog roll, jelly beans and tools

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Someone will be along in a moment to say that people who carry anything on a bike are idiots and that you can fit everything you need for a day ride in your ear.

Possibly.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

as above but i have a Gear hanger, space blankets and glow stick, plus a kendel mint cake, i **** hate the things so will only eat it in a emergency and some bolts 2 5mm Allen keys

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Oh and I forgot to add the kitchen sink.

thomthumb
    Free Member

always take one extra layer. depending on the time of year/ distance/ exposure might be gilet/ waterproof/ extra base layer.

some times might take 2 for those changable days like we are having now.

also if you only take an extra jersey it is guarenteed to go from 25° sunshine to pouring thunderstorm as you sit in the pub garden!! 🙄

uplink
    Free Member

Pump, tube, mech hanger, multi-tool, tyre lever, patches and glue, chain link, windproof, food and water

That’s pretty much all I’d ever take

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If I’m out for a big-ish ride, I’ll always carry half a dozen 12″ cable ties as well.

Klunk
    Free Member

Spare spokes, I keep mine in the handlebars of each bike, held in by a lump of blutak, couple of each size needed on that bike, then no need to wory about carying the right ones.

do you take a cassette removal tools too ?

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

In my all day bag I’ve got……..

1st aid kit (not 100% comprihensive, but enough to hopefully get me/someone else off the hill or at least stop the bleeding.

Assorted food, although I rarely eat it since discovering energy drinks, 2/3 scoop of maltodextrin, 1/3 scoop of fructose per litre is more than enough to keep me from bonking on anything under an actual all day ride.

Spare tubes, multi tool, chain links, mech hanger, gear cable, zip ties, brake pads, tyre boot/toothpaste tube, pump, patches, tyre levers.

Waterproof

Survival sack and foil blanket.

Did my Trail Leader training at the weekend and that pretty much covers it.

It depends upon the remoteness, terrain and weather forecast of course but wot he said (and the above mentioned map and compass).

Plus if you’re riding solo don’t forget to let someone know your planned route / eta just in case you brain yourself half way round 🙂

One tip from the weekend, I plan to swap the foil blanket and plastic survival sack for one of the Adventure Medical Heatsheet Emergency Bivvy. Weight nothing, tough and apparently extremely effective:

http://www.skimania.co.uk/images/Products/Small/3166-product1531.jpg

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Why the PowerLinks, can you not just break and atatch the chain with a normal tool? Confused.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Got the view ranger app on both mine and the OH iPhones ( I know were just iPhone jey boys 😳 ) and there’s a feature called buddy beacon that can show you your exact location to one an other. Just make sure you turn it off if your calling Into the pub or the bike shop on the way home. Remember, big brother is watching you 😯

gboarder
    Free Member

Thanks Guys,

So just think I need to add a few bits to my original list.

Really like the look of that bivvy sac – so just order one.

Always take a waterproof, so just need to find some light weight / low bulk extra layers – add a few choice tools and I should be good to go with my map and compass.

Interesting people mention first aid kits, I’ve ridden for so many years and had one in the boot of my car and the only accident I have had that would warrant one, just got in the car and drove home dripping in blood. Might chuck it in as if you have one at least it should mean you carry it around pointlessly.

Thanks again for your input.

G

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Day trip pack – what do you take out’ is closed to new replies.