Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Day on the beach: Woolacombe or Croyde?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Go!

jam-bo

I prefer woolacombe. park at far end of marine drive, walk down through the dunes.

ampthill

Not much in it. Woolacombe is bigger and therefore easier to find space on

BigJohn

Puts for me. Although you can go and spend all day in the thatch if it rains at Croyde

scruff
    Free Member

Putsborough.

slowoldman

Baggy Point. I don’t do beaches.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Croyde for me, but that’s only because we stay at Ruda in Croyde and wander down with our boards.

zippykona

Lee bay. When the tides out every stone is a skimmer. Never ending rock pools.
    When the tide is in perfect for snorkeling and you can swim through the rocks to the secret beach.
    But Woolacombe Puttsborough end Over Croyde.
    Me in the 9Os.

bigblackshed

Puts end of Woolacombe. Croyde is a zoo.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Saunton for me, closely followed by Croyde.
    If you have kids, head into the sand dunes off Saunton beach and challenge them to climb the massive dune you can see from the road.
    It’s a lot of fun jumping off the top.

wwaswas

That garage in the picture – pretty sure that’s been converted into a small holiday let now if it’s at the puts end of woolacombe beach.

We spent a week there with a kids a couple of years ago – was great having steps down to the beach from the garden 🙂

brassneck

Saunton then Putsborough. Regardless of the weather

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

It’s all nice basically but Croyde gets particularly rammed this time of year so best avoided if you don’t like crowds.

Saunton or Putsborough would also be my recommendations for this reason. Barricane beach at the N end of Woolacombe is worth a look too – great for shells and generally a good bit quieter than the main beach, although you need to watch the tide.

mudshark
    Free Member

Ride up from Woolacombe is a bit of a challenge (road).

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you have kid be warned that crowd has a nasty rip current, but it usually operates when the surf is a ciratain size.

ski
    Free Member

If you have kids, some great rock pools to the right at low tide at woolacombe, dog friendly beech too, Croyde has some great dunes, do both, nice costal walk between them both too

Harry_the_Spider

Sat at the right hand end of Woolacombe right now, and very nice it is too.

Wish you were here, regards, Judith

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Woolacombe for me. Croyde’ll be packed. Honestly though, much of a muchness.

jimster01

We stay in Croyde in September, quieter than this time of year, surfs not too bad. We may pop around to Woolacombe to have a look, but tend to veer more to the Puts end of the bay.

Big downside to Croyde is the prices – glass of wine and a pint £9.40 😯 – then it’s off to Braunton, quick go in the skatebowl, a pint in the London Inn, finished off with Squires Fish and Chips. 😀

brassneck

then it’s of to Braunton, quick go in the skatebowl,

My sister in law lives in Braunton (well, Chievenor) and never saw fit to point this out. Me and my 3 lads, noses pressed against the fence, salivating… without a board between us 👿

jimster01

My sister in law lives in Braunton (well, Chievenor) and never saw fit to point this out. Me and my 3 lads, noses pressed against the fence, salivating… without a board between us

Well, you know now for the next visit don’t you. 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Day on the beach: Woolacombe or Croyde?’ is closed to new replies.