Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Day off work – Swinley, Cannock or somewhere else?
  • hammerite
    Free Member

I have the week off this week and hopefully will have a day to go and ride somewhere different.

Considering Swinley or Cannock. Both are a fair way from me (Bedfordshire), but only 10 mins difference. I’m likely to be riding by myself and just want to ride following signs, not getting lost, doing about turns etc…

Any recommendations which one to choose? Or suggestions of other places to try?

SirHC

Cannock is more hilly and imho more interesting.

hammerite
    Free Member

I should add I’ve ridden Thetford a few times so looking for something a bit different to there.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Swinley is tedious to the extreme, although some seem to love it for some reason.
    Ive not been to cannock, but looking where you are on the map, I would suggest fod.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Out of those two, Cannock. It actually has some hills.

hammerite
    Free Member

Cannock it is then.

FOD is about an hour extra each way. If I was going with a group I’d go (planning to go with mates soon anyway). But as I’m by myself saving 2 hours time and using a bit less fuel will be welcomed.

Not been to Cannock since the two trails were built.

kimbers

Swniley is good if you are happy to sprint out of every turn, the hills arent huge the offpiste stuff makes it worthwhile (tho sessioningthe jump gully is no longer an option)
    If its very wet its worth considering as it holds up quite well
    I’ve never ridden Cannock, but I’ve heard there cobbles can be lethal in the wet 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

On the FOD vs. Cannock options I’d say I f you want something more gravity orientated then I’d say FOD, but if you want more pedally trails I’d say Cannock. I did FOD a few weeks ago and wasn’t impressed with the blue and red trail, but the downhill trails were fab.

hammerite
    Free Member

Was looking at going on Wednesday, but forecast not too good. Might go another day then.

Thanks all.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I found Swinley a disappointment but somewhere I’d be happy to take my sons cycling for the day, however.

Cannock is great fun, mix of everything and FoD is fantastic, as above, more DH options. If it’s wet, I’d favour Cannock over FoD, though.

ironnigel
    Free Member

FtD and Monkey are both fully rideable in wet weather. Nothing too difficult on either. Give it a go.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I live in Beds, been to cannock numerous times (and seem to go a different way everytime!!??!!), great place if you can’t go to Wales. Swinley I have never been as it’s a bit short according to riding buddies and a little uninspiring.

hammerite
    Free Member

Went to Cannock today for the first time. Enjoyed it, good ride. Loved the Lower Cliff descent.

It wasn’t wet, but I did find the pebbley bits fairly slippery. Fine on the descents, it was tyre slip on the ascents. All fine, just a little less confident at times.

kjcc25
    Free Member

The last time I rode Swindley, end of August, I found the numerous short cuts (Strava?), mostly across corners, very confusing and they ruined the trail for me. Since then I’ve heard someone describe them as “riders being creative”!

willard

Cannock vote here too, although for an extra hour you should be able to hit part of Wales up near Welshpool. Actually, if you are going to do that you might as well make a two day-er out of it and go to Brecon.

rocketman
    Free Member

Not Cannock! 🙂

bigrich

I’d go the peak district. straight up the M1

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Cannock is better than Swinely imo

I’ve live near Swinely and really like it I at the same time.

Both are Sandstone based forest with smallish hills.

In someways both are similar to Thetford, except of course Thetford has NO hills and hence both are much much better than thetford.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I’ve live near Swinely and really like it I at the same time.

Both are Sandstone based forest with smallish hills.

In someways both are similar to Thetford, except of course Thetford has NO hills and hence both are much much better than thetford.

v666ern
    Free Member

pebbley bits fairly slippery

oh dear god…hora to the thread 😈

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

On the FOD vs. Cannock options I’d say I f you want something more gravity orientated then I’d say FOD, but if you want more pedally trails I’d say Cannock. I did FOD a few weeks ago and wasn’t impressed with the blue and red trail, but the downhill trails were fab.

best bits are off piste, loads single track and more 😉 get someone to show you the rest of the trails away from the centre. Its there for beginners

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

pebbley bits fairly slippery

ha ha ha ha LoL

jekkyl

cannock’s great fun, I’m there every week virtually at the moment. You just need to experiment with lower tyre pressure dude, them pebbles ain’t a big issue, it’s the werewolves and the ghosts with cucumbers you gotta be careful of.

scottfitz
    Free Member

bigrich – Member

I’d go the peak district. straight up the M1
    I’m likely to be riding by myself and just want to ride following signs, not getting lost, doing about turns etc…

this

MrNice
    Free Member

If it’s raining in Cannock like it is here you’ll probably drown in the braking bumps (after slipping on the pebbles)

alexh
    Free Member

Christ, swinley must be pants and flat. I find cannock dreary and not worth the 60 min drive any more.

See how far it is to pearce xc (Hopton woods) near Ludlow. It’s way marked and far more involving (up and down). Couple of Laps of that and I’m totally done in.

s101
    Free Member

Swinley is dull. Is QECP not within driving distance? More worth a visit.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Swinley is dull. Is QECP not within driving distance? More worth a visit.

lol, first time I have heard QECP over Swinley.

QECP, is hillier, very slippy with lots of roots(Red trail),

Blue trail is more all weather: https://vimeo.com/135917380

willard

Just had a thought… Have you considered the Olympic MTB park down at Hadleigh Farm? Yes, there are lots of climbs, but it’s got some nice bits and might be a bit of a challenge in the rain. It is very XC though. Maybe Cannock would be better.

alexh
    Free Member

Circa 2 hours to cannock for you? (if the traffic is ok, which it probably won’t)

I’d rather go to fod as you can nip onto the dh trails for something more technical and have a roll down launchpad, and it will probably take you about the same time as getting to cannock with poor traffic

Pearce xc is about the same travelling time as fod…. Much more of a challenge

funkrodent

Errr, for most of the more recent posters a quick perusal of the thread would show that the OP did in fact go to Cannock yesterday, and had a good time apart from those pesky slippery stones 😕
    FWIW I rate Cannock, an excellent use of available terrain and some genuinely fun/challenging sections.

somouk
    Free Member

Circa 2 hours to cannock for you? (if the traffic is ok, which it probably won’t)

Traffic up the M6 is okay going North but a nightmare going South from Junction 11 down past 8 due to roadworks at the moment.

Depending on time of day you’re travelling it would be worth considering jumping on the M6 toll back down from Cannock in the direction of the M1.

Scamper
    Free Member

Loosing the will to live with those road works at the moment, adding on 30 minutes to my evening commute. Was supposed to be finished by the summer but extended to November. 🙁

I’m surprised the OP survived at Cannock as its now FACT that the black eyed girl exists having being caught on film and all that.

hammerite
    Free Member

Yes I went yesterday! Traffic not too bad, 1h 45-ish both ways. Didn’t use the toll road as I drive a van and the charge is £11 each way. The M1 is a bit tedious on the 50mph ave stretch, but it was flowing and no slower than 50mph at any point.

BTW the pebbles were fine, just added to the challenge, I was a bit surprised at first though.

I hope the guy who I over took is fine, he said something along the lines of “I wish I had padded shorts, my gooch (sp?) is killing me!”

whisky711
    Free Member

Graham Gooch?

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Cannock is a really good trail centre in my opinion, they’ve done a really good job considering the altitude. Excellent variety for difficulty too, tight fun stuff which is accessible to all but a test if ridden quick and some really challenging black sections, plus lots of berms and jumps that can be rolled if you prefer.

faustus

I’d make the extra effort and go to Cwm Carn or something. All weather, proper hills and a bit more rocky.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Day off work – Swinley, Cannock or somewhere else?’ is closed to new replies.