Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Day loop of Ben Nevis…….from roybridge?? help
  • ton

is there a doable day loop from roybridge to circumnavigate the ben.

it looks like there is looking at the map, but is it too big/tough.

advice please.

mangoridebike

ooh – I'm interested in the answer to this too 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Glen nevis is a no no. There is a steep and rocky scramble at the head of the glen and the "path" higher up the glen will be unrideable in long stretches

Waderider
    Free Member

Of course there is a loop, the question is whether or not it's worth doing.

A loop which Roybridge is on would probably be Corrour Estate Road/Corrour/Loch Treig head/Meannach/Steall/Leanachan*, but that is probably way too much for a day.

Spean Bridge is a better base, for Larig/Meanach and as above.

Anyhow, a loop of the Ben to me is purely an exercise in being able to say you've done it, because there wouldn't be much quality riding in it. And there is a hell of a lot of boggy portage in Upper Glen Nevis.

*The adventurous could incorporate the Puggy Line – hard though, I tried it on a crosser last year.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I stayed in a funny wee cottage beside the train station in Roybridge a few years ago and could't find a decent route. Best bet would be spean bridge.

balfa
    Free Member

Check stuartie's map here. Never done it myself but its meant to be a big day out!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fort-william-routes

ton

balfa, cheers….i looked at that one…good for a 1 off day, but this will be the 1st day of a week up there.

think a day on the nevis trails will have to do.

cheers all.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>it looks like there is looking at the map, but is it too big/tough.<

Biggish day but not seeing any huge issues myself: WHW, Mamore Lodge, Luibeilt,Leacach, Leanachan. Looks about 40 – 45 miles? Depends on whether you can ford the Spean or if you have to go over the bridge at Monessie Gorge.

Glen Nevis much shorter obviously but fair bit of carrying / crap riding in all but drought conditions.

A train assist ( e.g from Corrour to Roybridge) would knock some of the tiredeness out of that but needs booking and you need to be confident you can hit the time you've booked

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Did it last September. 64 miles.

mangoridebike

When are you thinking of doing this Ton? I've just moved to around there and am always looking for new stuff

ton

mangoridebike – Member
    When are you thinking of doing this Ton? I've just moved to around there and am always looking for new stuff

wednesday 1st of september.

orange224
    Free Member

Fort William, WHW, Mamore, Loch Eildh, Liebeilt, The Lairig, Spean Bridge/Leanachan/Nevis Range. An awesome day out and great riding.

falkirk-mark
    ivnickkate
    Free Member

The Puggy Line

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Day loop of Ben Nevis…….from roybridge?? help’ is closed to new replies.