Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Day booked off – but it may turn out to be a snow-day! – do you…
  • the-muffin-man

a) Cancel your day off and re-book for a later date – but secretly hope you get your original day off anyway? So two for the price of one.

b) Stay as you are and inwardly smile as you lay in bed while everyone else attempts to get to work?

perchypanther
    Free Member

A snow-day?

Are you still at school?

jekkyl

what were you planning to do with your day off?

martinhutch

A snow-day?

I think it’s a public sector term.

trail_rat
    Free Member

be gutted when common sense prevails and its actaully not a snow day and your in work when you should be off ):)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Oh. So a get-your-arse-into-work-it’s-only-weather day?

chakaping
    Free Member

Keep day off, head out early and ride frozen trails before it actually snows.

the-muffin-man

what were you planning to do with your day off?

Nothing planned – probably sit in my underpants watching Netflix! 😀

Private sector – boss has a relaxed attitude to getting to work during heavy snow. Our office is out in the sticks surrounded by big hills and ungritted roads.

toby1

Keep the day off, if you get snow, go play in it with no intent of having to “work from home”, if you don’t enjoy the day off anyway.

Time off is better than time on!

reformedfatty
    Free Member

No snow days here! work’s stance is if you live less than 3 miles away, walk, further than that you work from home.

Of course I have a fatbike so judging by the marketing hype I’ll be flying along without a problem, hooting with joy

wrightyson
    Free Member

Muffin man what is the snow day you speak of? I appreciate you live on a **** off steep hill but are we getting that much? I also thought it was Sunday to snow.

the-muffin-man

Monday booked off!

Council haven’t gritted our hill for donkeys years now – so if the lovely Carol Kirkwood is correct, and we get a heavy snowfall on Sunday, we probably won’t get off our hill till the new year! 😀

scotroutes

I assume that your snow day involves drinking shandy?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Advocaat and lemonade surely?

dissonance

Round here private sector shut down just as quick.
    Where I work doesnt happen so much now since pretty much everyone is set up for virtual working. So just get emails going out saying make sure you take the laptops home.

xora

1mm of snow predicted, quick turn the UK off at the mains!

molgrips
    Free Member

So a get-your-arse-into-work-it’s-only-weather day?

I’ve never been asked to come in in the snow in 20 years of private sector working. At the first hint of snow every boss (even the crap ones) has encouraged me to stay home, they don’t want to be responsible for me getting stuck!

prawny

I’m off tomorrow for a gig in the evening and lunch with the Mrs day.

I’ve got a free morning so if the forecast is correct I’m going to spend it hooning around the Chase on my mountain bike. If it’s just sloppy and wet I might stay in.

ssboggy

Surely everyone on here has a fat bike in the fleet so a perfect tool for commuting in the snow! 😀

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Do Mission Commands have more grip than Jumbo Jims in the snow? 😈

wrightyson
    Free Member

Muffin do they really not grit your road? That’s **** nuts, Monday is definitely cancelled if Carol is right. We’re going christmas tree slaying at cromford on sunday so that could be fun…

matt_outandabout

Muffin do they really not grit your road? That’s **** nuts,

You do know this is quite common, yes?

molgrips
    Free Member

They can’t grit every cul-de-sac. Ours isn’t gritted. If they came down it they’d kill everyone’s front gardens for a start and cover everything with grunge. If they could get the gritter down it in the first place.

jekkyl

sorry wrong thread.

breadcrumb

They don’t grit my road either. My brifter bears the scars to prove it.

the-muffin-man

Muffin do they really not grit your road?

Nope, not any more! That really heavy snow on Boxing Day a couple of years ago – our road was unpassable for 4 days. Just solid ice. It was a bonus then though as we couldn’t get to a few family Xmas dos!

They can’t grit every cul-de-sac.

It isn’t a cul-de-sac – just a very steep hill used by everybody in the area as a cut-through so they can avoid the junction on the nearby A-road.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It isn’t a cul-de-sac – just a very steep hill used by everybody in the area as a cut-through so they can avoid the junction on the nearby A-road.

Drury Lane presumably.

Traditional address of muffin men everywhere.

zippykona

We used to live on a really steep hill. If it snowed, all the men would get a shovel and clear the road. There was a grit bin at the bottom and we’d do it ourselves.
    Only time we spoke to each other!

the-muffin-man

Grit Bin! You’re having a laugh!

There used to be a grit bin.

I blame Thatcher.

And all then men on our hill are usually out sledging! 😀

andy8442
    Free Member

Snow day? Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Public sector, private sector? Try being self employed.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Muffin do they really not grit your road? That’s **** nuts,

You do know this is quite common, yes?

Comments like this is why I love stw. Just jump straight in and berate.
    I know of the hill that muffin lives on hence my surprise about it’s lack of grit, it clearly isn’t a cup we sac, but as he says it’s a very busy rat run and proper steep.

perchypanther
    Free Member

cup we sac

There’s a register for people who do that.

jimjam
    Free Member

the-muffin-man – Member

Muffin do they really not grit your road?

Nope, not any more! That really heavy snow on Boxing Day a couple of years ago – our road was unpassable for 4 days. Just solid ice. [/quote]

Clearly no one in your borough has a front wheel drive french car with all season tyres 🙄

Northwind

I’m hoping for snowpocalypse and preparing for it in the most STW way, respraying some wheels I got on ebay so that, come the snow, i won’t actually be able to fit them because they’ll still be flashing off.

I live 1.6 miles from my office, last time it properly snowed I jogged in (wearing my oakleys, a face wrap and a tshirt, in order to look more french), got there, hung around for an hour, then it turned out the only reason nobody had sent me home was that they didn’t think anyone’d be stupid enough to go to work. So I jogged home and went sledging. I think this is a pretty good approach

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Day booked off – but it may turn out to be a snow-day! – do you…’ is closed to new replies.