• This topic has 177 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 178 total)
  • Dawkins latest comments
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

A foetus is not a baby. In terms of it’s nature, it is no more subject to risk of pain or awareness of it’s condition than a brussel sprout.

EDIT: With which, of course, it shares much of it’s gene base.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

My point is Dawkins’ use of the term ‘immoral’. I have no argument with his view of religion – his latest comments have nothing to do with that. The decision to abort should rest entirely with the parents. I realise that this is one persons opinion, but he should take into consideration the fact that some people (and yes, I’d include myself among them) are upset and deeply offended by his remarks. I chose to adopt a baby with multiple learning difficulties. He is not an ‘it’, his name’s Josh and I love him more than words could describe. I don’t feel there is anything remotely immoral about him. Step outside the lecture theatre, this is not a clinical debate, it’s a real issue that affects real lives. I for one am glad that someone decided not to abort this particular ‘Brussels sprout’. With regard to suffering, Josh is the happiest kid you could wish to meet. It’s not him that has the problem, just society in general. As I said previously, “I wouldn’t change you for the world, but I’d change the world for you”.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Nevertheless, when Josh was a foetus, he wasn’t Josh. Whether or not the foetus went on to become Josh is neither here nor there.

EDIT: So some people were offended. So be offended then. Nothing’s going to happen.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nevertheless, when Josh was a foetus, he wasn’t Josh. Whether or not the foetus went on to become Josh is neither here nor there.

To many people it’s here. To many more it’s there. To many more again, it’s neither here nor there. It’s always going to come down to personal philosophy on that front.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I’m not really sure what to make of that woppit. In a way, you’re right, nothing will happen. We obviously have very different views of the world, and perhaps that’s how it should be.

gonefishin
    Free Member

but he should take into consideration the fact that some people (and yes, I’d include myself among them) are upset and deeply offended by his remarks

Why should he, or anyone else for that matter, do this? If we all went around making sure that we said nothing that might offend someone else no one would say anything.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Dawkins seems to find it difficult to express a more nuanced approach to ethics, which is precisely what we are left with if you remove god and religion from the equation, as he wishes.

Completely disagree with that. In fact (agnostic atheist speaking) I often see the more religious having difficulty approaching ‘nuanced’ (grey areas) ethics. They have a proscribed ‘good vs evil’ approach to ethics which is surely anything but nuanced?

On balance, I think it’s really more down to the person – as I’ve had many ethical debates/discussions with, variously, Muslims, Christians, new age pagans, agnostics and atheists – and some seem almost embarrassed at their proscribed beliefs when it comes down to ethics, whereas in reality (with the religious – absent a slavish adherence to scripture, with hardline atheist – absent a slavish adherence to dispassionate science) people are broadly humanist with a penchant for ethical debate – while of course others (hardline) are literally black and white – ie ‘thou shalt not suffer a witch/DS to live’ because it is evil/immoral.

Incredibly insensitive, broad-brushed and stupid comment by Dawkins. He likes to court controversy, his bread and butter etc. Growing up, I never really thought about the fact that I was an ‘atheist’ untilthe internet cam along and with it an army of obnoxiously vocal, largely North American, uber-Darwinists who co-opted the ‘A’ in atheist and sold T Shirts at least as quickly as they became enslaved by internet memes. We humans have a long way to go …

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m not really sure what to make of that woppit

I think the idea was that Richard (and by extension, anybody) shouldn’t say things that offend people, if he knows they might give offense.

My impression is that he probably things that’s a load of old pony.

One of the reasons I’m a fan.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why should he, or anyone else for that matter, do this? If we all went around making sure that we said nothing that might offend someone else no one would say anything.

I realise STW threads can easily get derailed into a “who’s offended, who’s not offended, who’s professionally offended, who’s wallowing in their inability to be offended” seven circles of hell, but let’s see if we can keep what’s been an interesting discussion on track, eh?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

but let’s see if we can keep what’s been an interesting discussion on track, eh?

Who made YOU Pope? 😉

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Let’s not get into another debate on religion. Dawkins comments had nothing to do with religion. And with regard to his comments causing offence, why shouldn’t I feel upset? This is not a clinical debate, it’s an issue that affects people in the real world. As I said, it’s not my son or his condition that’s the problem, it’s the attitudes of some members of society that are. I’m starting to get increasingly pissed, so I’m going to walk away from this thread.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😀

My best mate at school kissed his ring y’know. We all thought he was awesome for days afterwards.

EDIT: OOPS, the above at Woppit!! 😳

martinhutch

Completely disagree with that. In fact (agnostic atheist speaking) I often see the more religious having difficulty approaching ‘nuanced’ (grey areas) ethics. They have a proscribed ‘good vs evil’ approach to ethics which is surely anything but nuanced?

I clearly have difficulty expressing myself 🙂

What I meant was that religion often has a very binary appraoach to these areas. If you remove god and religion from the equation, in theory, at least, you should be able to apply a more nuanced perspective to difficult moral and ethical questions.

However, ironically a lot of Dawkins’ comments, despite his opposition to good/evil religion, are also very binary, as evidenced here with the statement that it would be immoral to continue with a pregnancy following a positive DS screening test. Anything you say on Twitter can sound over-simplified, of course.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Let’s not get into another debate on religion.

Yes, let’s not.

Nobody’s saying you shouldn’t feel upset. We’re just saying it’s not important.

You’re too easily upset, IMHO. Have a nice day. Really.

martinhutch

My best mate at school kissed his ring y’know. We all thought he was awesome for days afterwards

Bet his breath smelt, though.

gonefishin
    Free Member

As I said, it’s not my son or his condition that’s the problem, it’s the attitudes of some members of society that are.

You have your opinions which is largely the result of your own experiences. There are many of us who have come to a different conclusion based on our personal experiences. Personally I don’t agree that to continue with the pregnancy of a downs child is immoral, however I do understand exactly why someone might use that fact as a reason to terminate. The lifelong realities of raising a child with such a condition are all too well known to me so I’d never stand in judgment of someone who made this difficult choice.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Martin, not necessarily your difficulty – caffeine induced speedreading on my part doesn’t help things. We seem to agree after all. Oh where’s the fun in that!? 😉

anagallis_arvensis

Dawkins comments had everything to do with religion imo. He see’s religion directing morality based on made up stories of fairies and goblins and so he gave his view based on the evidence he has seen. I welcome his input. I dont agree with it entirely but its good to see non religious people stand up for what they believe and feel able to express it. The debate about Downs is a side issue to his point that early abortion is not wrong and causes no suffering.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Dawkins comments had everything to do with religion imo.

Even when he doesn’t say anything about it. As in this case.

Amazing.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

wunundred

klumpy
    Free Member

A woman said that if she had the positive (or likely) result of a Downs baby she wouldn’t know what to do. He said abort and try again as to have the baby would be immoral. And in her case he’s quite probably right, you shouldn’t have a kid if you’re not sure you want it.

D0NK

We didn’t have the DS test on our sprogs, basically I didn’t want to get a positive result and have to make a decision I really did not want to make.

I think calling eugenics on this issue is harsh.

He’s not telling people what to do he’s saying what he thinks.

thing is he’s not saying in that situation he’d do X, he’s saying Y is immoral, which quite different and has pissed off quite a few people.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I find this a fascinating topic but do find Dawkins’ use of the word immoral somewhat inflammatory. I’m sure this was intentional.

I’d love to share a pint or two with some of you who have polarised opinions on this, if only to share some experiences that may open our respective minds.

anagallis_arvensis

Whoppit have you read the full exchange?
    Is what Dawkins said any worse than what pro lifers say?

Lifer
    Free Member

klumpy – Member

A woman said that if she had the positive (or likely) result of a Downs baby she wouldn’t know what to do. He said abort and try again as to have the baby would be immoral. And in her case he’s quite probably right, you shouldn’t have a kid if you’re not sure you want it.

If it was in relation to that specific case then I think he’s right too.

dannyh
    Free Member

Unfortunately he can now be bracketed with David Starkey, Noam Chomsky and Billy Bragg in pushing an agenda with tiresome predictability and publicity-seeking into the bargain.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Unfortunately he can now be bracketed with David Starkey, Noam Chomsky and Billy Bragg in pushing

By you….

Cougar

I’ve just caught up with this thread, and it raises some interesting questions. Sorry, I’m going to gloss over Dawkins because frankly I just don’t care, he’s not the spokesperson for the free-thinking world, he’s a book writer and I’m quite happy with his position as ‘target’ for the more fringe theists. Put all the shouty people in a corner and let them get on with it.

Anyway. In particular, I’m having difficulty rationalising the pro-choice stance with the opinion some appear to have that ‘I don’t want it because I don’t like the father’ is valid but ‘I don’t want it because it will almost certainly have Downs’ is not.

If we’re genuinely pro choice then what does the reasoning behind that choice matter? Aren’t we just paying lip service to the idea and yet still judging people?

So it’s not about the child.
    It’s about the parents.

I don’t think that’s 100% the case, but I think it’s certainly a large part of it. And you know, I really don’t see a problem with that. You only have one life.

D0NK

Aren’t we just paying lip service to the idea and yet still judging people?

I’m pro-choice but am uncomfortable with choice over “trivial” reasons, possibly a hangover from my religious upbringing, maybe something else, dunno. But I suppose as you say it should be all (within legal framework) or nothing

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’m pro-choice but am uncomfortable with choice over “trivial” reasons

…and so we return to the crux of this debate which is that our respective moral compasses don’t all point the same way, which is why this debate is such an interesting one and one that will never be “solved”.

Cougar

I’m pro-choice but am uncomfortable with choice over “trivial” reasons

The danger there is, who gets to define “trivial”?

D0NK

absolutely.

and to clarify I’d back a woman’s right to choice whatever, but if she decided to use that right because she and her partner CBA with contraception or because she wanted a girl not a boy or similar I’d be a bit miffed about it. Whether I’d actually say anything to her face or just moan about it on a cycling forum is another matter.

bencooper
    Free Member

I think the reason abortion is such a difficult subject is that we personalise it – we think “what if my parents had aborted me”. This is a confusion of the specific vs. the general.

A good example of this is the lottery. If I won the lottery I’d think myself very, very lucky*, and it’d be an incredibly unusual event. But someone wins the lottery almost every week – in my specific case it’s a very unusual event, in the general case of someone winning the lottery it’s not unusual at all.

Looking from the viewpoint of the individual child, it’s very hard to not think abortion is a terrible thing – it’s almost murder. But looking from the viewpoint of the parent, or wider society, if that person is going to produce a child then which particular combination of sperm and egg they use is unimportant.

I love my daughter. She’s the most important thing in my world. If she had been born with a disability, that would still be the case, we wouldn’t love her any less. But if we knew before she became a person that she would have a serious disability, the decision would be much harder, and we might well have decided it was better to try again.

It’d be different for everyone, though – we conceived almost right away, if we had struggled and gone through a lot to conceive, the decision might well have been different.

tl;dr: It’s too complicated to discuss sensibly in 140 characters.

*for one thing, because I’ve never bought a lottery ticket.

johnners
    Free Member

Dawkins explains

Who’d have thought it? 140 characters isn’t a good vehicle for nuanced opinion. FWIW I thought his tweet was crass, arrogant and insensitive, yet can’t find anything to fault in the linked piece.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

This is a really interesting thread. Obviously close to a lot of people’s hearts.

It became close to mine about 4 months ago when we were told our 20 week old son (foetus?) had a 99% chance of having DS. Within 2-3 days we were over the shock and coming to terms with the different life our family might have. We didn’t even discuss an abortion, adoption or anything other than preparing ourselves for the situation if it came.

Thankfully, 3 weeks later, we were told that everything was fine.

At 20 weeks, he was already ours. I’d seen him wave and couldn’t imagine him not joining us. There’s no way I’d have wanted to end the pregnancy. However, if we’d been given those statistics when he was a few cells big, I’d have certainly wanted to discuss it with my wife. For me, the difficult thing there is at what stage he becomes my ‘child’. Honestly, I’ve no idea.

What confuses me more is our first son, now 2 1/2, was born with severe congenital heart issues. They weren’t diagnosed until he was 11 days old. Now that he’s ‘fixed’ and ‘normal’, although my wife, son and I had a very tough first year, the thought of not having him in our lives leaves me cold. If, in a medically hypothetical situation, we’d been told days after conception about his heart issues, perhaps we’d have tried again.

TL;DR

I have no idea. There are splinters in my arse I’m sitting so firmly on the fence. Frequently, the people who fall strongly on one side or another of the argument, in this case the Catholic Church and Dawkins, come across as %^$*”@s.

EDIT:

Having seen Dawkins’ explanation, I find it hard to disagree. The difficulty comes when

a) you have a child. Whether or not they have a disability, you can;t imagine not having them in your life and the thought of losing them in incomprehensible

b) at what stage were they your child and not a blob of cells.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Looking from the viewpoint of the individual child, it’s very hard to not think abortion is a terrible thing – it’s almost murder. But looking from the viewpoint of the parent, or wider society, if that person is going to produce a child then which particular combination of sperm and egg they use is unimportant.

No it isn’t, otherwise the morning after pill is murder and **** into a sock is unjustified murder (you don’t give one sperm a chance to become a whole person). As someone else mentioned, below 24 weeks it’s nervous system can detect about as much pain as a Brussel Sprout. It’s a collection of cells that looks somewhat like a baby and invariably sets off all sorts of emotions within people.

RustySpanner

Cougar – Moderator

So it’s not about the child.
    It’s about the parents.

I don’t think that’s 100% the case, but I think it’s certainly a large part of it. And you know, I really don’t see a problem with that. You only have one life.

I should have said it’s ‘mostly’ about the parents.

I know it’s not black and white, and you notice I didn’t make any judgments – I feel enormously sorry for anyone in this situation and I don’t think that there are any definitive answers.

bencooper
    Free Member

No it isn’t, otherwise the morning after pill is murder and **** into a sock is unjustified murder (you don’t get one sperm a chance to become a whole person).

Some people, especially those of a religious persuasion, would disagree with you. My point was that with abortion it’s very hard not to look back in time – it’s hard not to look at a person now and think that aborting them in the past would have been murder.

That’s not logical, but I think it helps explain why it’s such an emotive issue.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

It’s murder now because that person is a conscious being.

I find it very hard to look at a person and think, hey if they didn’t exist right now that would be murder. They wouldn’t know about it and they wouldn’t have lost anything.

martinhutch

Who’d have thought it? 140 characters isn’t a good vehicle for nuanced opinion. FWIW I thought his tweet was crass, arrogant and insensitive, yet can’t find anything to fault in the linked piece.

Imagine how reasonable we’d all sound if we didn’t use social media?

Closest you’ll get to a grovelling apology from RD, I guess. He must be feeling daft for hitting return on that tweet, as it does sound awful.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘Dawkins latest comments’ is closed to new replies.