• This topic has 53 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by rob2.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • David Walliams Swim!!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I know he’s a bit Marmite but you’ve gotta give the bloke some credit!! Swimming 140 miles down the Thames will be some achievement if he makes it!!

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Best of luck to him.

He’s braver than me with all the shit I see dumped in the rivers.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

He’s swam the channel before I think. In the little britain live australia tour he did some big sea swimming race and did quite well.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Channel 20 miles ish, Thames 140 miles. Doing 24 a day, got pulled out yesterday due to onset of hypothermia in **** September!!! I read/heard somewhere that there’s parts of the Thames where he’ll have to swim in a dragged cage due to the dangerous under currents! 😯 sounds loads of fun!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just a thought, could you actually just float as it’s all flowing towards that there London? 8)

Woody
    Free Member

That’s what I thought – can’t he just paddle and let the current do the rest?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tidal river….

Hats off to the chap for the endeavour, mind you!

alpin
    Free Member

not all 140 miles of it, though…. up to them locks it’s non-tidal.

i hate swimming… feel like i’m constantly fighting to stay alive. can never get the breathing thing right and end up with a mouthful of chlorine or salt water.

i did once try to walk on water by putting my armbands on my ankles. the lifeguard saved me. i was about 6, mind.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s only tidal towards the London end tho isn’t it??

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

He was hurting tonight only just finished an hour ago having started at 0700 this morning!!! Very impressive, 2 miles is hard let alone 20 a day four a week!!

aracer
    Free Member

I read/heard somewhere that there’s parts of the Thames where he’ll have to swim in a dragged cage due to the dangerous under currents

How would a dragged cage help with that? He’s presumably not holding on and getting pulled – in which case he just needs somebody standing by to rescue him if he gets in trouble. I don’t believe it – the Thames isn’t that wild and dangerous (apart from around the weirs, but I presume he’s not going near those).

wrightyson
    Free Member

I must have just imagined it then aracer 🙄

cheez0
    Free Member

I’m going to be part of his support crew/ fundraiser on thurs from goring to henley. Come and say hi to the big foam bt engineer!

P.s dont forget to bring a coupla quid to donate towards walliams’ efforts!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member
    I must have just imagined it then aracer

Nope, they mentioned it on Radio 1 yesterday morning..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

He was swimming under New Bridge at the exact moment I was driving home on Monday night.

Normally I’d have chucked an apple core…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Good work cheez0. Bit far for me to just pop down but will be donating from home!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Tidal river….

It’s not tidal in bloody Reading!

Don’t know much about rivers, do you? 😉
    FYI, it’s tidal up to Teddington lock. Stuff like locks tends to stop a tide dead…..

aracer
    Free Member

Stuff like locks tends to stop a tide dead…..

What about Richmond Lock? Don’t know much about rivers do you? 😈

camo16
    Free Member

This thread’s teaching me more about the Thames than about DW, which is fantastic.

Anyone else ready to throw in some interesting Thames facts?

Here’s mine:

From its source to the sea, it is estimated that the Thames carries some 300,000 tonnes of sediment a year.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I say good effort.

I must have been living in my own bubble because I didn’t know this was happening until last night..

If he can do it, and I hope he does, thenfor sure all that nonsense he does on TV will pale into insignificance in my eyes.

joemarshall
    Free Member

He’s braver than me with all the shit I see dumped in the rivers.

Thames is not too bad – not that dirty, nothing like it used to be in the 80s. They have salmon coming up the river nowadays.

It’s only tidal towards the London end tho isn’t it??

Tide starts partly at Teddington, but the low tide is held high by gates at Richmond Lock. After Richmond lock, it is proper tidal. He’ll have 12 miles or so of tidal swimming from Teddington if he’s finishing at Westminster.

From my limited experience of swimming in the tidal Thames (not Central London ever though!), assuming he only swims when the tide is going out or flat, and has all the safety boats etc. that point will in some ways be the easiest section. When the tide is coming properly in, you just can’t swim against it – it comes in at something like 4 or 5 mph on a big tide, at that point all you can do is get out and wait a few hours. But when it is going out, it is like a free ride to wherever you’re going. If he starts that swim at the top of the tide, he’ll get down that bit in no time.

elaineanne
    Free Member

yeah come on David,, its harsh out there, i heard him on the chris moyles radio show and he was clinging on to the side of the boat whilst speaking to Moyles,,, moyles said abit of a break for you then (walliams said…not actualy a break No ! lol … walliams has picked up a stomach bug also..drank to much Thames water he thinks.yuk…
    wot a great man …brilliant…
    wots the number to donate again from your mobile ? text swim to ?

joemarshall
    Free Member

What about Richmond Lock? Don’t know much about rivers do you?

Doesn’t stop the tide (not fully) – it’s only a half lock plus barriers. Stops the level dropping below a minimum level, but lets high tide in (the barriers are opened for two hours either side of high tide, and you can take a boat through them and skip the lock). I had to wade through 6 inches of water to get onto the island footbridge in Twickenham a couple of times last week.

Joe

DrJ

Can’t believe nobody has yet alluded to Mrs Walliams and her most delectable .. err .. flotation aids.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

i did once try to walk on water by putting my armbands on my ankles.

Who didn’t try that as a child?

😀

maxray
    Free Member

Who didn’t try that as a child?

me 🙁 Though there is no reason why I can’t pinch my daughters floats and have a go now!

Peyote
    Free Member

Thames is not too bad – not that dirty, nothing like it used to be in the 80s. They have salmon coming up the river nowadays.

That’s true, still wouldn’t fancy it much when the storm outfalls start working. The combined sewer system in London is still a major embarassment! Not to mention a health risk, hope he’s stocked up on Imodium…

bikebouy
    Free Member

And to add to that, did it rain yesterday? Hmmm so it did.. and the overflows will be working flat out, raw sewage overflows running into the Thames..

Nice..

This without the bun anyone..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member
    I know he’s a bit Marmite

Meaning, what?

joemarshall
    Free Member

And to add to that, did it rain yesterday? Hmmm so it did.. and the overflows will be working flat out, raw sewage overflows running into the Thames..

Isn’t the overflow thing mainly only in the tidal thames – ie. only his last day?

Peyote
    Free Member

“Marmite” – You either love it or hate. Things described as “Marmite” generate a bit of a polarised opinion. So David Walliams has fans and haterz, not many people just seem ambivalent towards him.

At least that’s my understanding.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Respect to him, but he has a long way to go to matching Eddie Izzard’s achievements.

Sorry David, but good on you anyway 🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

He got sick last night apparently.

Text ‘Swim’ to 70011 to donate a quid

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I actually meant good luck to him.

I work on rivers I’m currently sitting now on a weed boat on the river. Even in the middle of the countryside you can still get pollution.

MrSparkle

Respect to him, but he has a long way to go to matching Eddie Izzard’s achievements.

Sorry David, but good on you anyway
    Maybe, just maybe, he isn’t trying to ‘match’ anyone. Maybe he is doing things that are bloody hard, that most of us could never do and is raising a load of money for good causes instead of just being a ‘sleb and counting the coin he’s earning.
    Massive respect to both of ’em from me.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Massive respect to both of ’em from me.

From me too, as I said in my post that you copied!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Will he swim past the Dome, sorry po’o2 arena?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

He’s seriously suffereing today you can follow it on @sportrelief on twitter and he’s finding it hard! ALL respect to him.

wrightyson
    Free Member

“marmite”
    Perfect explanation by peyote ^^^ there.

elaineanne
    Free Member

well ive just donated a quid to him/sport relief so best of luck to mr walliams 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘David Walliams Swim!!’ is closed to new replies.