Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • David Miliband – Committed Labour Politican – NOT!
  • mboy
    Free Member

Labour are gonna regret voting the younger brother in I reckon, Cameron and Clegg will eat him alive in the Commons… The fact he has the poshest and most nasal voice of any politician going is only going to hurt him more!

With David in charge, they may have been able to take the battle to the coalition govt but with Ed there, they’re gonna be screwed! The loony left will take charge again, with it’s hand firmly up Ed’s backside controlling every word he says!

What I really don’t understand is why/how Ed got elected to the post in the first instasnce.

The Unions have still got a hell of a lot of power, and they bought him basically… Forget the days of people getting off their arse and going to work, here come 3 day working weeks and strikes if there aren’t the right kind of teabags in the staff canteen any more again! 😉

This is where I don’t quite understand how the union vote actually works. What is the mechanism TJ, that gives them the right to vote in the first place?

MASSIVE donations… If you join a union, you have to pay a fee, typically £10 a month or so… At least 50% of that goes straight into funding the labour party. So when you think how many people out there are part of a Union, and how much money they give each year, you begin to see why the Unions hold so much sway over the labour party, as they are buying them basically! In my last company, out of peer pressure, over 80% of the staff there had joined the Union (UNITE in this case) as they felt they had to to be accepted by their peers. When I questioned a couple of my colleagues, they were open Tory supporters and were praying for Cameron to win the General Election… Yet they give £120 a year to the Union, more than £60 of that goes to directly funding the Labour Party… MADNESS!!! 😕

kimbers

i agree d. miliband as foreign secretary was too assosciated with those nasty wars in the middle east
    i think he genuinely is upset that he didnt get the job, im sure he thinks he did his turn in the dark days under brown and was the public face of the party/government quite often, even bowing out of a leadership bid against gordon

ed was interviewed on newsnight last night, he came across as intelligent, humble and honest (for a politician)
    it will be interesting to see how he faces up to castirondave in the house

geetee1972
    Free Member

The Unions have still got a hell of a lot of power

Yes but how come they get to vote in the leadership election? I know that sounds like an obvious question but if the constituents so far cited include: members of the party, elected labour politicians and the unions, then this statement suggests that the unions are different to ther other two categories.

I guess Labour Politicians are also members so perhaps this is simply a misleading statement, i.e. the set of those that get to vote is all labour party members and the sub sets are unions, elected politicians and everyone else.

How many votes does a union get and what determines this?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    roper
    Free Member

Both career politicians, only time will tell what Ed stands for because he hasnt really said anything yet.

I think it stands for Edwood. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

both dull both career politicians and politically very similiar. Damned if he did damned if he did not. We all know spongebib and the tory press would have accused him of something if he had stayed or if he had he gone. Find the attack the oppositon view to you whatever happens a bit dull tbh. His decision, he has made it, let’s move on. Not really that interesting is it?

Yes but how come they[unions] get to vote in the leadership

The unions affiliate to the Labour party. Unions members then choose to donate to and joint he labour party or not. they then get to vote in the lection if they choose to join. Essentuially they are memebrs of the Labour party via the Union membership. Democracy in action. It should be one person one vote though

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MASSIVE donations… If you join a union, you have to pay a fee, typically £10 a month or so… At least 50% of that goes straight into funding the labour party.

this is just utter drivel. The political levy is voluntary and separate from your union subs. You have to opt in IIRC. Its a few pennies not half your subs.

Hysterical nonsense

BigJohn

David Milliband was fatally wounded (in a political sense) by that photo of him holding the banana and grinning.

It would be brought out to belittle him every time he tried to be serious, so he might as well knock it on the head now.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

This is where I don’t quite understand how the union vote actually works. What is the mechanism TJ, that gives them the right to vote in the first place? I ask because if they aren’t part of the ‘labour party members’ group then what are they?

There are good guides to how the electoral college is worked out on the net – maybe even linked to above, Has ernie not explained it on one of these threads?

Basically tho the labour party has individual members and various groups that are affiliated to it such as the unions.

gonefishin
    Free Member

How many votes does a union get and what determines this?

Unions do not get a vote. Individual union members vote as do MPs/MEPs and individual party members, however not all votes count equally. It’s tripartite college system which values the three groups listed above at 33% each. As there are fewer MPs than members an single MPs vote is worth more than a single party members vote which is in turn worth more than a union members vote. The block voting by unions was reformed by John Smith (I think).

anonymouse
    Free Member

Surely the first politician to step down in order to spend less time with his family.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

When is new New Labour obliged to actually come up with some decent policies on which decisions will be made. Wallace’s speech the other day didn’t really convery anything except “I’m not new Labour, but I’m also not Red Ed.” Would’ve been more interesting if he’d gone for the Red Ed tag rather than the Wallace tag!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

missingfrontallobe – I suggest that there is no great hurry. there is no election imminent and there is a new leader to settle in.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Indeed. I’m beginning to wonder if some of the posters on here have realised that Labour isn’t in power at the moment.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If you join a union, you have to pay a fee, typically £10 a month or so… At least 50% of that goes straight into funding the labour party.

PMSL

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘David Miliband – Committed Labour Politican – NOT!’ is closed to new replies.