Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)
  • David Cameron – smart or big scaredy pants?
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How does any of that benefit us?

That’s a completely different issue. By all means make the claim that the people of Scotland don’t benefit from the fact that the UK is a major player in world politics, if that’s your opinion. But don’t falsely claim that the UK isn’t a major player, when it clearly is.

rene59
    Free Member

Well I don’t think the UK is a major player, I think it likes to think it still is. It is a bit player yes, not saying it ain’t but not a major one.

Saying that it is or isn’t is not a fact it is expressing an opinion. Ours differ.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Of course it’s not an opinion, it’s a fact that the UK is a major player in world politics.

If you think being a major player in world politics is meaningless for the overwhelming majority of British people, and the Scottish people in particular, then fine, argue that point – I would probably agree with you.

But there’s really no point in denying the truth because you simply can’t be arsed to argue a point.

You don’t appear to have properly thought through your argument for Scottish independence, so it’s hardly surprising that you also appear to have not properly thought through the consequences of Scottish independence.

piemonster

I think he’s mixing up superpowers and major powers.

mogrim

Do you think the people of Norway, Belgium or New Zealand look at the UK and think “I wish we had that”?

The Spanish do, certainly. What makes you think the people of Norway, Belgium or New Zealand wouldn’t like to have more influence on the world stage?

bencooper
    Free Member

The people of Norway, Belgium and New Zealand have exactly the same influence on the world stage that we do.

Sod all.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So the sixth largest economy in the world has “sod all” influence on the world stage ? 🙄

bencooper
    Free Member

No, the people of that economy have sod all influence.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

EDITED I think piemonster’s comment was probably the best.
    ………

piemonster

No, the people of that economy have sod all influence.

Or any economy for that matter.

bencooper
    Free Member

Are you deliberately not reading what I say? UK politicians have a reasonable amount of influence, sure – though not as much as they’d like to think probably. But they’re a minority coalition – even when they weren’t (e.g. Blair) they weren’t representative of the majority of the population.

So the views and opinions of most people in the UK have little influence on international affairs.

rene59
    Free Member

Of course it’s not an opinion, it’s a fact that the UK is a major player in world politics.

I think he’s mixing up superpowers and major powers.

Well I guess it’s how you define a major player. I would say UK is at best hanging on to third tier on the world stage as long as they stay within the EU. Nowhere did I say they didn’t play a part, I just don’t see the UK as a major player. Sitting at the top you have the USA who for the time being have no equal, below them Russia and China – these two are major players, only one of the three is a superpower.

UK is simply not on a par with these top countries. Whilst part of the EU then along with India, Brazil, Japan the UK has some world influence. Taken out of the EU then they would drop down even more.

That however is just my opinion, yours may be different even if you like to think you speak only in facts.

piemonster

Not that it has that much to do with Dave not wanting a chat with Salmon.

athgray
    Free Member

The views and opinions of the UK population towards Syria had a huge influence on how the situation played out both at Westminster and around the World. Did you miss that Ben?

seosamh77
    Free Member

athgray – Member
    The views and opinions of the UK population towards Syria had a huge influence on how the situation played out both at Westminster and around the World. Did you miss that Ben?

more to do with putin playing obama like a fiddle, no?

athgray
    Free Member

Many people involved, however you can’t deny Britain were one of the main players as the situation was developing.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

b r – Member

Funny thing is, nationality wise I’ve never described myself as English, but British. And tbh I think of myself as a ‘Yorkshireman’ first, and a Brit second.

And that won’t change if when we go independent.

fixed it for you

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so moving along from the How big is your diplomatic penis part…

If Scotland becomes independent but then has a delay in joining the EU would that mean any of the new scottish citizens would not be able to work in England without getting work Visa’s and vice versa?

athgray
    Free Member

May depend on when Scottish citizenship would start. To add to the mix, UK citizenship may be offered depending on how the UK perceives Scottish policy following a yes vote.

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

If Scotland becomes independent but then has a delay in joining the EU

FWIW, nobody seems to think this is likely… The UK government hired Professor James Crawford to attack the Yes campaign’s timeline, he responded that the timeline was “entirely realistic”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That however is just my opinion, yours may be different even if you like to think you speak only in facts.

It has nothing to do with my opinion, the UK has the sixth largest economy in the world, that’s not my opinion, it’s a fact. The UK is a member of the G7 group of countries, that’s not my opinion, it’s a fact. The UK is a member of the UN Security Council, that’s not my opinion, it’s a fact.

None of it has anything to do with my opinion.

And yes, those examples I give shows that the UK is a major player in world politics, it might not be the top dog, no one said it was, but it is still a major player.

scotroutes

mikewsmith – Member

If Scotland becomes independent but then has a delay in joining the EU would that mean any of the new scottish citizens would not be able to work in England without getting work Visa’s and vice versa?It’s a bit of a tough one this. One body of opinion suggests that residents of Scotland would remain EU citizens while everything is being worked out (after all, there is no mechanism for removing a country from EU citizenship). A more detailed and accurate answer could be provided by the EU directly but they’ve said that they would only respond to a request from the UK Government and since David Cameron refuses to provide that request, we are all left a little bit in the dark.

One might suggest he had a reason for not asking…..

Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘David Cameron – smart or big scaredy pants?’ is closed to new replies.