Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • "David Cameron is the standout politician of our age"
  • wwaswas

Michael Gove during an interview to be broadcast during Radio4 PM program in an hour or so.

We are so doomed.

Perhaps he means standout for all the wrong reasons.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Considering the state of his opposition, it’s not totally inaccurate.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Mr Gove later denied that he was “a tedious end of a bell, hated by colleagues and voters alike”.

bol

Yep, **** depressing, isn’t it?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s normally what politicians say just befoer they lodge a dagger between the subjects shoulder blades – bit like ‘the manager has the total confidence of the board’ just before he moves by ‘mutual consent’.

lilchris
    Free Member

Considering the state of his opposition, it’s not totally inaccurate

/\This, only with less doubt.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Surely Ed Milliband is the standout politician of our age? Standing out as in “dear god, could it possibly get any worse?”

Being serious I’d say that, love him or hate him, Alex Salmond is the standout politician of recent years. Cameron, Clegg, Milliband and the rest are all pretty much interchangeable IMHO.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The opposition are a bunch of gurning wishy-washy public school types who’d willingly be photographed cuddling an elephant turd in pursuit of a vote, just so long as they didn’t have to commit to any actual policies that might impinge on their friends’ desires to make shedloads of cash out of us.

Thing is, you can’t even tell a politician’s affiliation by the colour of their tie anymore.

jota180
    Free Member

You have to say that Farage and Boris are the stand out politicians of our age, mainly for the wrong reasons but they don’t half stand out nevertheless

kimbers

salmond or faridge!

rone

Maybe if you’re Gove that would be consistent with your version of reality.

woody2000

ChrisL

PJM1974 – Member

The opposition are a bunch of gurning wishy-washy public school types who’d willingly be photographed cuddling an elephant turd in pursuit of a vote, just so long as they didn’t have to commit to any actual policies that might impinge on their friends’ desires to make shedloads of cash out of us.

Cameron got a lot of stick for that initially too, and I expect that most leaders of the opposition get some or all of it thrown at them at one point or another.

Trekster

epicsteve – Member
    Surely Ed Milliband is the standout politician of our age? Standing out as in “dear god, could it possibly get any worse?”

Being serious I’d say that, love him or hate him, Alex Salmond is the standout politician of recent years. Cameron, Clegg, Milliband and the rest are all pretty much interchangeable IMHO.

But Salmond didn’t have to deal with any “real world” issues and even yet I haven’t seen much said about stuff like IS, Ebola etc. SNP have been so bound up with the Indy issue and now the leadership and reshuffle issues that there is still no response to world issues.
    The colour and designers of Nics dress seems to be the current diversion from getting on with government or hiding bad news ie another round of civil service cuts via voluntary leavers scheme recently announced but not yet hit the news/press afik!!

epicsteve
    Free Member

But Salmond didn’t have to deal with any “real world” issues and even yet I haven’t seen much said about stuff like IS, Ebola etc.

I’m sure you’d find that Salmond would like nothing better to being in a position where he is able to contribute to what you regard as “real world issues”, in fact I think he organised a referendum to try and do just that…

Junkyard
    Free Member

so the party whip buttered up his bos

This is not news, not accurate and not worth debating,

What next Pope says god is nice?
    Wenger wants arsenal to win in football games?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Tbf, Cameron does stand out, as a massive ****.
    Gove is just kissing the bosses arse.

Junkyard
    Free Member

He was struggling tbh and eddie had him on the ropes
    Not least when asked about his own job

His interpretations of what the result meant was interesting…they are going to win that is what defeat shows

ninfan
    Free Member

But Salmond didn’t have to deal with any “real world” issues

Totally unfair, Salmond has had to deal with important international diplomatic issues like The Megrahi release… Oh 😳

footflaps

Gove just wants a senior cabinet post and is laying the arse licking ground work ready for the next re-shuffle….

mt
    Free Member

unfortunately he is right.

There are a number of MP’s that could be better but choose not to put up with all the crap that goes with it sticking your noggin to far above the parapet.

footflaps

unfortunately he is right.

In what way does he stand out? He’s achieved absolutely nothing of any significance and will be forgotten in no time. Say what you like about Thatcher etc, but she had an enormous affect on society which was changed permanently by her.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Say what you like about Thatcher

Thanks she was a ****.
    He is not outstanding

kcal

Thing is, you can’t even tell a politician’s affiliation by the colour of their tie anymore.

I’m not too sure you could in the past either – if a solicitor (or more likely advocate) was really thinking of attaining attorney general status, they’d simply pin their colours to the mast of whatever party was likely to be in power in 15 years time..

footflaps

Thanks she was a ****.

I agree!

He is not outstanding

Outstandingly ineffective, Can’t think of a single significant thing he’s actually done.

br
    Free Member

the bar is low, very low…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Can’t think of a single significant thing he’s actually done.

What about the bedroom tax ? Or bombing Libya ?

Or increasing VAT ?

Or doubling tuition fees ?

Or cutting the top rate of tax ?

Or introducing a benefit cap ?

zippykona

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If you try to list 15 members of the cabinet and shadow cabinet, it quickly becomes quite hard. Especially if you have to put the title next to the name too. In that context, you do end up with a pretty unsatisfactory bunch of stand outs.

And the odd thing, is folk want them to run large parts of the economy. Bizarre. How many would you want running your shop…….?

mogrim

Alex Salmond is the standout politician of recent years. Cameron, Clegg, Milliband and the rest are all pretty much interchangeable IMHO

Salmond??? Cameron called his bluff on independence, and won. Out of that four Cameron is definitely “standout”. Still pretty crap by historic standards, though.

ninfan
    Free Member

What about the bedroom tax, or bombing Libya?
    Or increasing VAT ?

Wow, Have we moved to a presidential system of government with executive powers now?

I was under the impression that all those things were decided on by parliament!

Junkyard
    Free Member

are you claiming that legislation gets proposed that the PM opposes and the PM has no say on what happens in parliament, the queens speech or the govt legislative programme? Weak point

Given where AS started from and where the vote ended [ and AS Got devo max] the historical jury may decide he lost the battle but won the war rather than CMD called his bluff and won.

If you try to list 15 members of the cabinet and shadow cabinet, it quickly becomes quite hard.

I thought that would be easy but came unstuck at 13…and some of them were tenuous.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There you go footflaps, don’t expect much from David Cameron, or any other Prime Minister for that matter, they are just powerless pawns in the legislative system.

At least they are in Z-ll’s fantasy world of spin.

racefaceec90

😆 at thread title.

footflaps

What about the bedroom tax, or bombing Libya?
    Or increasing VAT ?

All pretty minor things that will be forgotten / changed by the next Parliament etc. Tweaking tax rates here and there by a few % is not significant, it’s just tinkering.

You could argue that the bedroom tax was significant in being both economically ineffective yet utterly vindictive to the poor, but again in 2 yeas time no one (other than those evicted by it) will remember it.

CHB

Listened to the interview on R4 on the way home from work. Gove is a politician I have little time for after the mess he caused my kids education. That said, Eddie Mares questioning was Eddie Mare at his petty worst and reminded me of why I don’t like his interview style. Against Eddies petty non-questions I thought Gove came off 3-2 in front.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Really ? I thought he was very good and pressing him about refusing to say he would go if anyone left to UKIP you could almost feel Goves two brains whirring as he tried to think of the correct spin to give his answers as the many pauses in answers showed.
    Gove was fairly non committal in his praise and the pressing there was a bit daft tbh as what else could Give say beyond he is the best whist avoiding confirming he was no Margaret thatcher…hardly a shock revelation to anyone but , as politicians cannot tell us a truth we all know, he could not say it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

All pretty minor things that will be forgotten / changed by the next Parliament etc.

I’m sure many people in Libya will be relieved to hear that. If they are not dead.

footflaps

I’m sure many people in Libya will be relieved to hear that. If they are not dead.

In the UK no one will remember it. In terms of significance i.e. compared with wars in our generations e.g. Falklands, Iraq I & II, Afghanistan etc, it barely registers on the Give-a-shit scale. Blair had the largest ever peace time demo with the Iraq War; hardly anyone cares about Libya (outside Libya).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘"David Cameron is the standout politician of our age"’ is closed to new replies.