Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 242 total)
  • David Cameron quits
  • finishthat
    Free Member

Dave quits – legacy ?

Not a lot..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37342152

kimbers

I dunno, as legacies go getting us ejected from the world largest trading bloc and dividing a nation is pretty impressive

richmtb

What an absolute shitehawk he is.

Doesn’t even have enough honour and self respect to see out the remainder of his term as an MP

Pigface
    Free Member

An idiot who gambled his legacy and lost.

shermer75
    Free Member

Very weird. It’ll be interesting to hear the reasons behind it! 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Legacy ?

Young leader and PM
    Lead the UK out of the total dogs breakfast created by Labour
    Easily the strongest major economy in Europe
    Conservative Majority
    Courage to grant binding Referendum on Scottish Independence which No comfortably won
    Courage to grant an EU Referendum which will deliver a substantially more prosperous UK and free us from ECJ and unelected EU Commission’s meddling interference
    He leaves the Conservative Party is very good health and the opposition in total chaos which his strategy helped facilitate

ctk
    Free Member

Poor lamb.

Thats going to bugger up the Corbynistas (yes me) claim that they’ve won every electoral test.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yeah but just think if he’d won that bet, everything would have…..stayed as it was. You’ve got to be a special ind of prick to voluntarily take a bet with the future of the nation where if you win you get nothing.

footflaps

It was only ever a tick box for his CV. Being PM was just something one did after Eton….

He never really cared about any of it.

binners

Nows the bit where he really proves himself as the Heir to Blair.

I reckon he’s about to outdo Tony on how many squillion you can make as a former PM. He’ll be on the board of an investment bank by the end of the afternoon, be representing a dodgy former soviet block dictator by midmorning tomorrow, then onwards and upwards into the earnings stratosphere, with no role too morally abhorrent that it won’t be shamelessly exploited with a casual flick of two fingers to absolutely everybody

jambalaya
    Free Member

Haters have to hate. STW doesn’t change.

He could have sat on his @rse and claimed his MPs salary, racked up some more pension all at the state’s expense and money he doesn’t need. Instead he stands down and provides an opportunity to another candidate in a very safe Tory seat.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Very weird. It’ll be interesting to hear the reasons behind it!”

‘So, Mr Cameron; what first attracted you to the multi-million pound contracts various corporations have offered you for stepping down from UK politics?’

“Legacy ?”

Oh dear. I prefer it when you’re on holiday, Jamba. 🙄

chambord
    Free Member

i reckon most people will remember him for the pig shagging

mrblobby
    Free Member

Courage to grant an EU Referendum which will deliver a substantially more prosperous UK and free us from ECJ and unelected EU Commission’s meddling interference

Would that really be considered part of his legacy given that he campaigned for us to stay in?

P-Jay
    Free Member

He’s had an offer from someone I’d bet.

No sadly not much of a legacy, in political terms he failed to win a over-all majority against a completely unelectable Labour party on his first go.

Won the second time by making a deal with the devil to by-pass a UKIP threat that probably wasn’t here and here we are now – an ‘unelected’ PM, something he made a big fuss about in opposition, political and economic limbo post-brexit and he’s off. I suspect wherever he goes, it’ll probably be abroad and whatever happens he’ll still have quiet the comfortable life.

I can’t think of any really memorable policies.

Austerity didn’t really happen, they weathered the storm like the previous government, made a lot of noise, let Carney sort it out.

Big Society didn’t happen.

Pigface
    Free Member

Again blaming Labour for the world global crash 🙄 yes of course Gordon Brown forced the dodgy bankers into the sub prime fiasco.

binners

Men can now wear their wedding rings while they touch each others bottoms

martinhutch

Great story – apparently he’s triggering a by-election by remaining until the next general election..

kimbers

Young leader and PM- well yeah he was

Lead the UK out of the total dogs breakfast created by Labour yup hes done so well, closed all those Sure Start Centres, killed all thse diabled people http://calumslist.org/
    http://news.sky.com/story/hospitals-could-reach-breaking-point-by-winter-10574947

Conservative Majority at……… the 2nd attempt

Courage to grant binding Referendum on Scottish Independence which No comfortably won……….. after Gordon Brown stepped in to save his Bacon

Courage to grant an EU Referendum which will deliver a substantially more prosperous UK and free us from ECJ and unelected EU Commission’s meddling interference 😆

He leaves the Conservative Party is very good health

and the opposition in total chaos which his strategy helped facilitate 😕

maccruiskeen

Legacy ?

Young leader and PM
    Lead the UK out of the total dogs breakfast created by Labour
    Conservative Majority
    Courage to grant binding Referendum on Scottish Independence which No comfortably won
    He leaves the Conservative Party is very good health and the opposition in total chaos which his strategy helped facilitate

You forgot the bit about him showing a cowardly lack of leadership in the face the international refugee crisis, choosing instead to say and do nothing and in the vacuum allowing the gutter press to set the agenda instead. So they filled that vacuum with bile and spread the fear and selfish ****-you-if-the-terror-you-face-might-inconvenience-me loathing that blew up in his cowardly ham face, fuelled Brexit, destroyed his political career and left the rest of us to deal the legacy of his leadership which is to live in the company idiots who’s only accomplishment is the ability to pat their own backs and elbow others in the face in the same motion.

This should have been a time for heroes.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

My guess is not only is this to do with post-referendum agro, but also those controversial bonus payments made to his staff when he quit as PM.

He promised to see things through regardless of the EU referendum result, but backtracked on that within hours of the Brexit result.

Tony has a black mark against his time for what happened in Iraq during his time as PM, but I’m not sure that many in the UK will feel that as bad as what David did pre-voting (he should have made sure “remain” presented a much better case withouht the rubbish spouted by Osbourne etc. IMO) and what may happen as a result of Brexit.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member

Great story – apparently he’s triggering a by-election by remaining until the next general election..

Read the BBC story again:-

He had said he would continue as an MP until the next general election.

My bold.

footflaps

He could have sat on his @rse and claimed his MPs salary, racked up some more pension all at the state’s expense and money he doesn’t need. Instead he stands down and provides an opportunity to another candidate in a very safe Tory seat.

And how is that any better or worse?

It doesn’t save any money overall.

and what may happen as a result of Brexit.

We won’t know that for a good few years yet, probably 5-10 and 2-3 more PMs on the way there…

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@jambayla…your list concurs with his opposition.

Your list is all about Cameron himself or money. Nothing in your list is regarding happy citizens, equality for all, a healthy society physically and emotionally, poverty reduction etc.. ..all the the things I would argue were signs of a successful leader.

Cameron failed big time regards the health and well-being of the nation, poverty reduction and equality, to name but a few.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’ll be interesting to hear the reasons behind it!

Come on its not difficult 🙄

££££££££££££

footflaps

It’ll be interesting to hear the reasons behind it!

he can’t be arsed to be a lowly MP and he gets a very generous ex-PM pension…..

chambord
    Free Member

Cameron failed big time regards the health and well-being of the nation, poverty reduction and equality, to name but a few.

He implemented the Big Society and also One Nation Britain. I don’t see what everyone is complaining about.

mt
    Free Member

Lets make this clear, Cameroon will never generate as much private wealth as Blair has done since give up the PM’s job. Blair is the master in that department.

The-Beard

Looking at his family history for ‘tax efficiency’ I think you can guarantee all future earnings will in some way be at the state’s expense regardless of his employer.

spawnofyorkshire

Lets make this clear, Cameroon will never generate as much private wealth as Blair has done since give up the PM’s job. Blair is the master in that department.

Doesn’t need to, he was pretty wealthy to start with. And lets not forget daddy’s investments in Panama

just5minutes
    Free Member

He’s still got a young family so hopefully he’s planning on spending more time with them – I can’t imagine that being PM is an easy role for anyone with the 24×7 nature of politics and news these days.

“Cameron failed big time regards the health and well-being of the nation, poverty reduction and equality, to name but a few.”

Well on Health we’re more responsible as individuals than he is as PM – and we’re the most obese nation in Europe now.

On well being, income inequality has actually been falling with the richest 10% now having a smaller share of gross income than they did when David Cameron became PM – see figure 3:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/theeffectsoftaxesandbenefitsonincomeinequality/1977tofinancialyearending2015

And compared to Europe we’re not very different:

“The data indicate that, before any taxes and benefits, the UK had one of the highest levels of income inequality in the EU. However, the UK’s tax and benefits system appears to be more redistributive than that of many other countries with relatively high inequality of original income, bringing the UK close to the overall EU average for disposable income inequality.”

I’m not sure the measure on poverty reduction or “equality” are absolute as there’s a lag in any changes made in government that’s often hard to detect for 5-10 years. That said the “full fact” web site shows that relativepoverty is still lower now than it was 10 years into the last Labour government.

For individuals:

And for children:

ratnips
    Free Member

His legacy – Made the poorest in society pay for the recklessness of the banks and shagged a dead animals head. Won’t be missed.

kimbers

Oh, he also managed to start the first ever doctors strike in the history of the NHS

clodhopper
    Free Member

“That said the “full fact” web site shows that absolute poverty is still lower now than it was 10 years into the last Labour government.”

Well, that graph seems to suggest that poverty significantly decreased under Labour (we can’t see the lines for before 1998), and is now on the rise again since the tories tok over. Regardless, the problem with graphs and statistics, is that it doesn’t actually show the full picture. Which is that increasing numbers of people are finding it harder nd harder to make ends meet. And that people who used to be in fairly ‘safe’ income brackets, are now finding it increasingly difficult to afford to buy their own homes etc. But as with all things, we won’t see the full extent of the damage Cameron has caused our society, for some time yet. Probably when those who’ve had to pay for the same university education Cameron etc got for free, have no pensions or security for their old age.

But Cameron and his ilk will be long gone by then.

kimbers

yeah graphs can be made to show anything

edlong
    Free Member

TBF I think the recent trend for former PMs to make a fairly swift exit is the right way, regardless of party colour. In no other industry does the top man (and it’s usually a man), when they lose their post, go back to a more junior role in the same organisation.

The alternative is to hang around bitterly, peering over the shoulder of your successor and make an embarassment of yourself (like what Edward Heath did throughout Margaret Thatcher’s prime ministership). Or, I suppose, keep taking the salary while not doing any of the work expected of an MP (G. Brown).

To be clear, I think Cameron’s various things, none of which will pass the swear filter, but on this, I think he’s made the right decision.

brooess
    Free Member

How long before Osborne goes too? He’s been noticeably absent since the vote and as key strategist/Machiavellian on Cameron’s behalf and having been sacked by May there’s no role for him any more…
    I suspect those MPs who supported him will back slowly away now his power is so diminished…

edlong
    Free Member

With Cameron gone, Osborne will have literally no friends, surely?

Toddles off to enjoy that YouTube clip again….

kimbers

is it safe for Gove to come out yet?

that time when his human suit glitched always makes me chuckle

binners

Isn’t he just throwing his toys out of the pram, and letting it be known that he doesn’t want anything to do with the direction that his replacement is taking the party in. She’s purged the front bench of all his acolytes, and moved everything substantially to the right by appointing rabid right wing nutters to key positions, apparently accepting their ludicrous position on the EU that we don’t need membership of the single market, so we can just stop immigration

Dave would never have proposed the reintroduction of Grammar schools. And thats just her first policy. Expect more of that type of thing that he’d never have done. So I don’t blame him for doing one, instead of sitting there with a face like a smacked arse.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 242 total)

The topic ‘David Cameron quits’ is closed to new replies.