Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dave maks a funny…
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

He said he did not see how “some minor parties like the Liberal Democrats and UKIP” could take part in the leaders’ debates, but not the Greens

🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

No sitting leader has anything to gain from this type of debate and therefore there is an advantage to getting out of appearing.

That said, I’d have hoped that he could make up a better excuse than he has found.

neilthewheel

He’s here all week, folks!

ninfan
    Free Member

Wonder why Miliband is so opposed to the Green Party taking part?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Wonder why ninfan chose to use Dave posturing to attack Labour…that is THM’s job 😉
    Who would have thought Brown had more Balls and morals than Dave …seriously who ?
    Politically it is wise as he does not want to debate with UKIP and he has everything to lose from this and we all know this is the real reason. TBH it depends if you want a leader with backbone who does the right thing or one who is a self serving **** who will subvert the democratic process for political gain

weak and yet wise

ninfan
    Free Member

Yeah, but Ed had a choice didn’t he – he could have turned round and said ‘I agree with Dave, let them in’ and left nobody, including Dave and the TV companies, with any excuses.

But he chose the other way!

scotroutes

The UKIP will be on taking away Daves votes. He wants a similar left-wing influence impacting the Labour vote.

Of course, given that the SNP are projected to have even more seats than UKIP or the Greens, he should be insisting that Nicola Sturgeon is also involved and, based on the reasoning above, I’m surprised he hasn’t suggested it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes its all Ed’s fault that dave has chickened out turned it down
    I am sorry I did not see this straight away

Dont worry ninfan will be along soon to explain the noble principle behind daves decision and explain why its Ed’s fault

ninfan
    Free Member

But SNP are not a national party, which is why they don’t get to take part in national debAtes.

Yes its all Ed’s fault that dave has chickened out turned it down

But he hasn’t turned it down, has he? He’s just made it conditional on the Greens being included.

Why would Ed have a problem with that?

If Ed really thinks Dave is saying it to get out of it, why not call his bluff?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Isn’t the real story, the stance of Ofcom?

The rest is just political noise

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ah good point the UKIP support and MP pattern in Scotland is indeed tremendous and does indeed make them a “national party well 0.7 % would in any general election result and they had one success as in one of the 34 seats they managed to retain their deposit

FWIW. letting a stray serious point into this flippancy, I thought they were leader debates

EDIT: Ninfan can you give me a quote from ed to support your view

A Labour source said: “We are not going to tell the broadcasters who they should invite. We want these debates to happen and so we don’t want to complicate it. It’s not about self-interest.”

when first announced. so old, and I have not seen a direct quote from ed apart from saying CMD is chickening out
    Your google fu is usually strong so lets see it

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

QT now…..

ninfan
    Free Member

Junky, According to Nick Robinson its a direct quote:

Mr Miliband said Mr Cameron was “chickening out” and “trying to find any excuse to stop these debates happening”, saying he should “stand on his record”.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30726499?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Incidentally:

No. Look, I think the format we had last time with parties that have representation in parliament is a good format

Ed Miliband, April 2014

What’s changed? 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sorry you lost me there- how has that ed quote proved what you claim ? Clearly that is the quote I have seen

Thanks for the quote its better when done in full though without an edit

“No. Look, I think the format we had last time with parties that have representation in parliament is a good format. In the end it is for the broadcasters to decide who they invite. They have got their own rules and they have got to follow their rules. I look forward to debating David Cameron. I am not that interested in Nigel Farage. I care about debating David Cameron.”

I would say nothing has change ed still says it is up to them and their rules and you still quote selectively to prove your point

Anyway enough scribbling

THM inglorous swear word avoidance on Film 4

braver than me if you can stomach QT Dont mind Radio 4 any questions/answers though

Northwind

ninfan – Member

But SNP are not a national party,

They’re going to be the 3rd biggest party in the uk parliament, that’s pretty national. There’s been years when the Tories had no MPs in Scotland, and it’s entirely possible that’s going to happen again next time- will that make them not a national party?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just as long as we are spared the bloke who claims he is going to be/could be the next deputy prime minister. The ego lives on….

scotroutes

Who has claimed that? Got any quotes?

ninfan
    Free Member

NW – No, because they still contend elections in Scotland, even if they don’t win them, as do Labour, UKIP, Green, Lib Dems etc.

SNP ONLY contend seats in Scotland, that’s why they’re not a national party.

scotroutes

Labour/Tory don’t contest seats in Northern Ireland so they are not national parties either.

Northwind

Ah, so if the SNP run a single candidate in Wales, that’ll make them a national party?

These are the national debates, for the national election, for the national government, the SNP are competing directly with Labour and the Lib Dems and some would even say the Tories. I can see why all those parties might need an unfair advantage over the SNP but that doesn’t mean they should be given it.

God DAMN it Scotroutes, that’s a much better point than mine.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Could be worse THM they could make him Chancellor 😀

I dont think you can argue the SNP are a national party tbh

I dont think you can argue UKIP are either though they do have aspirations to be one

Still think the SNP should be in the election debates as, IMHO, they will have more influence* than the Greens and UKIP after the elction result

* its not inconceivable that UKIP have more influence as they are in a coalition with the Tories but they will have fewer seats than the SNP – I dont expect UKIP to have any though but may be wrong

ninfan
    Free Member

Scotsroutes, They have deals though don’t they

Conservative and UUP had a formal electoral alliance

Labour and the ‘Social democratic and Labour Party’ have a less formal longstanding electoral agreement (the clue is in the name)

If the Scottish and other Nationalist parties made a deal they could rightfully make the claim to national representation, but they haven’t.

scotroutes

And that folks is the sound a straw makes when it’s being clutched.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dave maks a funny…’ is closed to new replies.