Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Dave Eggers… and Schwinn Bikes?
  • noteeth
    Free Member

I’ve never gotten around to reading Dave Eggers’ A heartbreaking work of staggering genius & have no real opinions on him as an author… but his latest novel seems to feature Schwinn Bikes as some kind of symbol for the decline in US manufacturing:

Alan Clay is a consultant. He started off as a door-to-door salesman and worked his way up through Schwinn bikes

Judging by his NYT review of Grant Petersen’s Just Ride, it seems Eggers is a cyclist. Perhaps STW should start publishing novels…

lucien

ive never gotten around to reading Dave Eggers’ A heartbreaking work of staggering genius

– it had great reviews at the time, but never did it for me – I don’t even think that I finished it…

somafunk

I’m got a copy of “Grant Peterson’s-Just Ride” on the go at the moment, not really a book to purposefully sit down and read but if you’ve got 15 mins to kill or want a quick read to dip into wi cup of tea or espresso then it’s ideal for that purpose – he speaks a lot of sense and i’ve found myself agreeing wi what he writes about more often than not.

I’ve not read any of Dave Eggers though.

Garry_Lager

He’s an impressive figure but not sure he’s got what it takes as a serious novelist – A heartbreaking work.. is pretty limited – it’s like a 300 page blog.

I’d like to read his latest tbh as he’s probably a miles better writer now, little chance of me getting round to picking it up though. Way too many books ahead of it.

warpcow
    Free Member

lucien – Member
    ive never gotten around to reading Dave Eggers’ A heartbreaking work of staggering genius
    – it had great reviews at the time, but never did it for me – I don’t even think that I finished it…

Same here. His more recent stuff is good though (I’ve read Zeitoun and What is the What in the last year), but they’re even less novels than A Heartbreaking Work… . The review of his latest in the London Review of Books seemed quite apt: basically that he’s finally written the kind of book ‘a novelist would write’.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Dave Eggers… and Schwinn Bikes?’ is closed to new replies.