Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Dating an Orange P7 frame, and what Forks are they?
  • fennerhorne
    Free Member

Got this off the bay, but not sure how to date it – it’s got an old Deore crankset (and mechs) which looks original, Hayes 9 brakes, and WTB dual purpose rims on Shimano rear, and XT front hubs. The fork I imagine has been added as it’s a Fox Float RLC 32, but agian not sure how to age it, or what travel, look ‘high’ to me – uppers are 150mm long. Cheers Martin

jfeb
    Free Member

If the frame has disc mounts (which it seems to) it is post 2001 I believe. I don’t think they made any changes to the frame from 2001 until the current frame was introduced, at least the geometry stayed the same (I discovered this when researching my brother’s pre-2001 P7 the other day).

Not sure about the forks but they do seem to have a lot of stantion showing!

psling
    Free Member

It looks like one of the previous generation P7s, i.e. pre longer travel forks. Designed around 100mm travel. Probably somewhere between 2000/2005? Can’t remember how long they did silver frames for. They were available frame only or built up with Deore / WTB / own brand kit (there was also a higher specced ‘pro’ model).

foxyrider
    Free Member

I would say the Float RLC’s are the 2007 Model – I have the 07 RL’s and they have the red band at the top just with RL writton on it and they are like a mocca brown!

LINK

Also maybe it the silver 2005 P7 LINK

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dating an Orange P7 frame

Nice meal out, flowers, cab ride home….?

😉

Olly
    Free Member

Just take it out for a nice meal, tell it, its hair looks nice, flirt a bit, and your in there….

P7s are easy anyway

Richyb
    Free Member

It looks like a 2004 to me, with disc mounts and canti mounts. They could take up to a 130mm fork I believe.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Not being funny Richyb but the ’05 had both mounts and came in silver?

Richyb
    Free Member

04 or 05 then?

foxyrider
    Free Member

RichyB 😉 😛

MrNutt
    Free Member

damn you Poddy you beat me to it! 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

Me too…. 🙁

tinsy
    Free Member

Your in luck with those forks, plenty of steerer for any frame you want! 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

Can I get a close up of the top tube decals??

I had a circa 2001/02 P7 and it looks quite similar to that. If it’s the case it actually sold with 80mm forks on it…

fennerhorne
    Free Member

Ha Ha – this one’s really dirty actually, just took her for a spin and she goes like a bike.

Yeah, I won’t be short of headset spacers either 😆

Fork travel anybody?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Read my post – if you can give me a close up of the top tube decals I can potentially date it as 01/02. Meaning 80mm travel, 100mm tops.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Hmmm, just dug out pics of mine and yours deffo isn’t the same…

2001 P7

Richyb
    Free Member

This is an 05 p7

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm maybe 04 then as you said Richyb 😉

Richyb
    Free Member

Its one or the other i’d think. I think the “S” was in silver and the “pro” in black.

Stu

2004 (according to google)

2005 (according to Orange)

ampthill

I phoned orange about geometry

They said that although pubkished geometry didn’t change tear on year the frames were corrected each year for progressively longer forks

out of intrest what did you pay?

nukeproof
    Free Member

Just like another thread today, why does nobody do the research before bidding? Still, I’m not sure in this case if Cash Converters would have known! Think you got that for a good price.

fennerhorne
    Free Member

I researched this before I bought it but didn’t get a definitive answer which is why I posted it nukeproof, and what I paid for it should make it worth my while whatever year it is as I know the value of the frames, and the forks are obviously worth a bit, but I’d still like to know how I can tell what travel the forks are! 🙁

foxyrider
    Free Member

cant you measure them before letting the air out of the preload chamber – compress them and measure the travel?

fennerhorne
    Free Member

probably not because I don’t know what you’re talking about; well, I do in theory. There must be an easier way than that, my other floats have got 100R written on the side which is useful 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well your not going to know unless you can measure the Stanchion length (gold/silver metal part of the fork upper) and compare it to what is known or phone/email mojo? Looks like a very long travel form to me – I got 140mm talas’s at home and they look longer than that to me?

jfeb
    Free Member

I am intruiged as to what changes Orange made to the P7 to cater for longer forks that they didn’t publish in their specs. I have checked their catalogues and seat and head angles didn’t change from ’98 (I think) to the current bikes, although admittedly they were pretty slack to start with (relatively)

ampthill

jfeb thats correct

I assume that they were adjusting the frame to keep the geometry constant.

So they notice that in 2002 the forks they are specing are a bit longer so they moved the head tube up a bit, to stop the angles being slacker, makes sense I think…

Note even 80mm forks have got longer in this time frame

I know this cos I have been trying to find forks for my gringo which won’t make it slacker

It doesn’t change what they published

jfeb
    Free Member

Ah. I’ve got you. That would explain it. Ta

fennerhorne
    Free Member

foxyrider, the stanchions are 150mm, as I put in first post; having put a zip tie around a stanchion it measures 100mm when I push it down hard; but presumably there’s more in there otherwise you’d bottom out going down the curb 🙂

jfeb
    Free Member

They are air forks, right? It couldn’t be easier to let the air out and measure how much they compress. Why not just do this?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry fenner – missed that. You will have to let the air out the left side – have you got a high pressure shock pump – if not you’ll need one. On most shock pumps they have a release button to let air out when connected to the shrader valve. On the left of the shock there is a blue star cap. undo that and there is a shrader valve under it. Connect your shock pump and measure the pressure – You will need to set the right sag anyway when your on the bike. Let all the air out. Then you can compress the fork most of the way down and therefore get a fair estimate of the travel you’ve got – obviously your travel will be less than 150mm as there is always about 10-25 mm of upper that will not be part of the travel so if its 150 then they must be around 140mm-130mm. Then you just pump the preload back up to the right pressure for your weight- download the 07 shock manual HERE – I had a thought though – perhaps they have been serviced my mojo and new decals put on?

fennerhorne
    Free Member

They are 140mm, 2007, thanks – oh and they’re for sale on classified. Martin

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Dating an Orange P7 frame, and what Forks are they?’ is closed to new replies.