Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Date night – Basingstoke
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

Boringstoke, Amazingstoke, it might be a shithole but at least its not Slough.

Any recommendations for somewhere that does good wine and 2 adults can chat?

daftvader
    Free Member

Just outside Basingstoke is a pub called the gamekeepers… Really relaxed, Great food too can’t comment on the wine. website linky

Edit… You also have the hogget at hook or the sun at dummer which is getting good reports but I’ve not been yet….
    Other than that depends what you want as there really aren’t that many places of quality or different to anywhere else

cinnamon_girl

The Queen Inn at Dummer, serves good food.

matt_outandabout

Is “Basingstoke” a euphemism, like “centre parks”?

beej

I’ve been to the Sun Inn near Dummer a few times, it’s been good every time. Genuine made from fresh food, great desserts. Can’t comment on the wine.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In summary, get out of the Stoke.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Do you want to date someone who lives in Basingstoke? This is perhaps a question relevant to both parties

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Been here a couple of times. Same (nice) chain as the ones near me in the Glorious North:

Mill House

redstripe
    Free Member

Pizza Express a safe bet there in the absence of just about anything else in Basingrad

curto80
    Free Member

It’s only 15 mins to Winchester ffs

dovebiker

Purefoy Arms in Preston Candover – don’t even have to go as far as Winchester

supercarp

Second the gamekeeper also recommend the Iron Duke at Stratfield signposted off A33 (turn next to the Wellington Arms) good food.

Hogget is good although it used to do the best burgers ever now they are just very good!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

If you can get to Shinfield, then I’d recommend L’Ortolan.

zzrmatt
    Free Member

Hoddington Arms in Upton Grey does pretty awesome food!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/2337616

zzrmatt
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Bit out of town, but an excellent wine list.

I’ve had a couple of ropey meals there!

If you are heading to Overton then surely the place to go is the redfort…

Home

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good since refurbishment and reopening I’d say.

The Fort is hardly the place for a romantic dinner over fine wines….!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Do you want to date someone who lives in Basingstoke?

You be the judge, I live in the ‘ding – and not the nice part.

Had the feeling it’d be somewhere out of town – was hoping beyond hope for something nearish the train station so I could have a drop of plonk – and I’ve SORNed my car cos it’s impractically small for getting a bike in 😀

Edit:

Basingrad

:mrgreen:

zzrmatt
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Good since refurbishment and reopening I’d say.
    The Fort is hardly the place for a romantic dinner over fine wines….!

I missed most of the OPs requirements with the Redfort, good for food though!

I maybe should give the White Hart another go, the Hoddington is a bit of a trip but its been worth it 🙂

siwhite
    Free Member

The Coach and Horses in Rotherwick is tremendous – loads of quite little nooks and corners, good beer, nice landlords and good simple food. I’ve eaten there once a month or so for the last three years as its our local and have yet to have a bad meal.

I’d recommend booking a table in the bar if you’re after some good pub atmosphere…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Date night – Basingstoke’ is closed to new replies.