Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Data usage on Google maps GPS
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

Lucky me…I’m off to Orlando on Saturday for a week and have taken out ‘World Traveller’ on my Vodafone account, but am slightly concerned about how much data I will use getting around.

Does anyone know how much data google sat Nav uses per hour? Or anything else I should be careful using ?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Download an app that keeps the maps local.
    I use NavFree for car nav
    and MapDroid for walking/riding

I think you can now cache Google maps before you leave but I havnt done this.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

I think you can now cache Google maps before you leave but I havnt done this.

Yep, you can cache areas of Google maps, but without a data connection you can’t have turn-by-turn directions as they’re calculated on a remote server.

Look into Nokia’s Here Maps which are free and have offline (no data usage) maps and navigation. Good reviews, too.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Thanks Guys…I don’t mind using data as I have a 500MB allowance for the month and reckon using 300MB during the week will be fine. But obviously if it uses a MB a minute on GPS I’d b*ggered in no time.

I’ll have a look at those ideas but know Google GPS is great so prefer to use it.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have a Windows Phone so have used Here Maps quite a lot.
    It’s not all that accurate in finding addresses – has given me incorrect search results a few times.

Was poncing around Clydebank shopping centre in a tweed suit and bow tie due to a screw up on its part.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i got through 45 meg in about 2.5hrs of driving in spain recently. more than EE said i would…

TooTall
    Free Member

Navmii GPS USA is the free app you need.

You download the mapset for the area you are in and it runs totally without data.

I live in the USA and I replaced a Tomtom with this on my phone and use it daily.

bungle

Co-Pilot for Android? About 20 quid, for UK – not sure re states, can run GPS-only

Rockape63
    Free Member

thanks all.

superfli
    Free Member

Just uninstalled Nav Free/Mii and installed Nokia Here, as it looks a lot more user friendly/familiar. I like Nokia maps from my Symbian days and also like the planning on the website.
    Like the Op, I’m going to Florida in a 16 days (+1hr 11mins), not that I’m counting 🙂

blurty

Oh F*%K

I though ‘World traveller’ was 500mb per day!!

This is going to be painful

MrNice
    Free Member

when I got lost and briefly turned on google maps I knew it was going to be expensive but it was *really* expensive. Can’t remember details but I won’t be doing it again.

[unhelpful] Except for when I’m in a 3 “feel at home” country that is 8) [/unhelpful]

oliwb
    Free Member

Mate of mine used his phone as a satnav for a circa 25 mile journey from airport to hotel in Texas – £90 for the privilege. If you have a satnav already look into buying the US maps on an SD card for it. Alternatively, they’re quite cheap to just buy one on arrival from the likes of BestBuy etc. You can rent them but if I recall correctly the weekly cost is about the same as just buying one on arrival (assuming you can find your way to a shopping centre). If you happen to stay in Aberdeen I have a US TomTom you could borrow for beer tokens.

nealglover
    Free Member

I use Google maps for navigation every day at the moment.

Looking back through my data useage stats, the average useage per week is just below 250mb

That’s for using roughly 6/8 hours per day, and covering roughly 1100 miles per week.

500mb for a week should be fne, but keep a close eye on it !

ampthill

Walking I seem to use very little data picking up maps via 3G

I pay as you go and its just costing pennies

CountZero

Walking, you’ll cover a tiny area on a map, most of which will be cached, so the amount of data used will likely be small; driving, you’ll be constantly needing new map tiles, which means the need to continually use the network and data connection.
    Then there’s the issue of large areas without any network connection, so no data, a problem I found in South Devon.
    I’ve been using Navmii, or NavFree as it used to be called, which is much better than CoPilot which I used to use.
    I’ve also just installed Here as well, just as an alternative. It’s free, so why not?
    I’ll give it a try out next week, I’ve got the week off, so it’ll give me a chance to use it under less important circumstances, to see how it compares to Navmii.
    The Nokia maps have always seemed to get favourable reviews, and it’s been revamped for iOS, so it’ll be interesting to do a comparison.

nealglover
    Free Member

Main problem with Navmii/Navfree is that it’s 650mb, not great if you are short on space like I always seem to be.

Hence my constant Google maps use recently

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Data usage on Google maps GPS’ is closed to new replies.