Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Data encryption on my phone. Any reason not to?
  • markgraylish
    Free Member

<tin foil hat>
    I got a new phone (Nexus 5 with Android 4.4.4) which has an option to encrypt the data. Seems like various law enforcement agencies are concerned about this. Which, to me, seems like a good reason to switch it on!! Another reason is so all my naked selfies don’t end up on the interweb if I lose my phone – more for the potential viewers health than my vanity!!! 😯

So, does it screw up your phone and make it run really slow. Anything else I should be aware of?
    </tin foil hat>

wwaswas

If you forget the password you lose everything on the phone.

any backups to the cloud may not be encrypted.

‘agencies’ may decide that you have something to hide if you encrypt your phone and decide to take more of an interest in you (in the same way they are alleged to for peopel who use anonymous browsers etc)

markgraylish
    Free Member

‘agencies’ may decide that you have something to hide if you encrypt your phone and decide to take more of an interest in you (in the same way they are alleged to for peopel who use anonymous browsers etc)

True..at this point in time but the next version on Android will have it switched on by default so I’ll just melt back into the crowd as everyone else catches up…

CountZero

Fine by me. Any individual assigned to check out my activities is likely to be so bored they’ll off themselves.
    One less spook to worry about.

oldnpastit

It’ll go slower.

At least mine did (ancient Galaxy with fairly minimal h/w crypto support). Possibly newer hardware might work better, but I don’t see how you can avoid having an extra pass through memory for everything that’s encrypted.

brassneck

With a Nexus by default your naked selfies have already sync’d to Google so there’s one less thing worry about

Cougar

It’ll go slower.

At least mine did (ancient Galaxy

To be fair, the original Galaxy was a pup of epic proportions. Mine stuggled with complicated actions like “making a phone call.”

RDL-82
    Free Member

My Moto G slowed down a tad but the specs are nowhere near as good as the Nexus so suspect you’ll not notice.

Rubber_Buccaneer

You can turn the encryption on but I will still be able to see what you are up to through the camera 😯

markgraylish
    Free Member

You can turn the encryption on but I will still be able to see what you are up to through the camera

S’ok, I’ve already put black electrical tape across the camera lens…I bet you thought I was just sitting in a very dark room 😆

willard

Ahem…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Data encryption on my phone. Any reason not to?’ is closed to new replies.