• This topic has 39 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by bails.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Dash Cameras
  • Dekerf
    Free Member

Morning,

Sorry I have tried looking but couldn’t find anything

I am looking at getting a dash cam, but has anyone got any recommendations?

Ideally looking for a very small and discrete one, as I hate having things on my screen

TIA

Muke
    Free Member

Mobius

somouk
    Free Member

I have a transcend one and for the money it’s excellent. It’s a bit bigger as it has a screen on but easily hidden behind my rear view mirror from me and gives the perfect view for it out on to the road.

Get as wide angle and high quality as your budget will allow. Mine has recorded info from two crashes now where other people have hit me, in one case they drove off and I had the plate clearly on camera, in the second he hit the rear of the car on a slip road and said the lights were green and I’d stopped for no reason. The camera was proof the lights were red when he hit me.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Me and Keith set ours up today

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbYg2jmF8tk[/video]

mrlugz
    Free Member

Another happy transcend user here

Amazon link

Not been in a situation where I have needed footage from it, but I heve reviewed what it records on PC and its very clear. Acceptable at night too.

BadlyWiredDog

I got a Nextbase 512 from Halfords after some (probably) texting idiot drove straight down the middle of the road and into our T5 a few months back. Paid about 50 quid less than RRP thanks to a Halfords online trade-in deal that still worked if you didn’t have anything to trade in…

Was the Which? best buy, gives clear footage and just does what it’s supposed to do.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-dash-cam-512g

It’s not cheap, but when some dozy moron has done £10K of damage to your van and you’re jumping through hoops to show that they were 100% to blame, it feels like a worthwhile extra investment in not going there again.

Alphabet

Would one that has front and rear facing cameras be better or would front facing footage be good enough in the event of a rear shunt?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’m looking at options for these too.
    This looks like a good starting point for advice:
    http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam

I’m probably going for the Transcend 200 as I’ve got Argos vouchers to spend

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

On a side note – has anyone else found their Transcend camera doesn’t turn on properly in cold temp? Experimental evidence with mine shows below 13C it needs restarting 2-3 or more times o get it working right?

scud
    Free Member

I got an email this morning from Halfords saying they have dashcam in their “Black Friday” sale … on wednesday.. May be worth a look especially if you are a British Cycling member and get the extra 10% off

agent007
    Free Member

I am looking at getting a dash cam, but has anyone got any recommendations?

Yup don’t bother – because exactly what the rest of us need is one more ‘self righteous’ ‘record everything’ ‘know everything’ clueless numpty on the road promoting the ‘Big Brother’ and a ‘where there’s a blame there’s a claim’ state.

Better investment IMO would be to spend the money on an advance driving course to improve your situational awareness and help avoid an accident in the first place.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yup don’t bother – because exactly what the rest of us need is one more ‘self righteous’ ‘record everything’ ‘know everything’ clueless numpty on the road promoting the ‘Big Brother’ and a ‘where there’s a blame there’s a claim’ state.

Better investment IMO would be to spend the money on an advance driving course to improve your situational awareness and help avoid an accident in the first place.

Yawn.

So when my dash cam caught the completely innocent young lady in the (stationary) car in front of me at the light being sideswiped and having her car written off by another vehicle that then drove off and fled the scene before the (very traumatised) lady could get its number I’m the detriment to society for recording it? The fact that the insurance company could then claim from the driver at fault rather than the victim and the police could charge the offending driver with a road traffic offence is moot I suppose. Surely that’s making society better as the guilty party who is to blame is penalised rather than the victim.

agent007
    Free Member

Surely that’s making society better as the guilty party who is to blame is penalised rather than the victim.

Nope it’s making society rely on cameras to spy on other people rather than encourage individuals to take on responsibility for their own actions.

Like the ‘blame for claim’ culture, spying and a fundamental distrust of others (hence the need to film them) is helping destroy peoples trust in each other.

You also have to ask yourself, were you the guilty party in an accident and had recorded your mistake on your dashcam, would you do the honorable thing and hand it in to police? I doubt it, so please don’t be ridiculous and say you’re trying to make society better.

jimw
    Free Member

Better investment IMO would be to spend the money on an advance driving course to improve your situational awareness and help avoid an accident in the first place

Perhaps we should all get instruction from the driver of this range rover- he was a qualified instructor
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36396341

teasel
    Free Member

Don’t feed it, ffs.

After quite a few hours reading reviews and talking to owners I plumbed for a Lukas LK-7200 Cuty. It’s okay – doesn’t suffer from the heat or cold like some. Easy to install without too much dismantling of the trim. Pricey when you compare it to other manufacturers.

Edit : Fast approaching vehicles that could potentially hit a mirror or similar are sometimes moving so fast there’s a problem reading the reg. Maybe something with 60fps would negate that one niggle.

trail_rat
    Free Member

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F2GMWCG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i put that one in the wifes car after i got 3 different storys about what happened – due to shock on the wifes part an unbelievable version off the guilty party(my car has a strafe function like on call of duty apparently) and a different story again from the bus CCTV camera – only i got the right version of events too late because bus insurance dragged heels.

aracer
    Free Member

For those of us with a go pro clone, is it possible to just use one of those? Any suggestions on a mount (preferably to put it behind the mirror where I can’t see it – I hate the tendency to have a load of clutter obstructing vision through the windscreen)?

somouk
    Free Member

Nope it’s making society rely on cameras to spy on other people rather than encourage individuals to take on responsibility for their own actions.

The problem is that in modern society people don’t take responsibility for their own actions and the video evidence of them being a muppet is always good to watch in court.

On a side note – has anyone else found their Transcend camera doesn’t turn on properly in cold temp?

Not had a problem with mine, was in Scotland last week where it was 2-3 degrees in the car in the morning and it worked fine.

Twodogs

I too got a NextBase 512 one after a pedestrian actually ran into the side of my car – had I had it at the time it would have saved me losing my no claims bonus for over a year, and the insurance company could have much more quickly rejected his ambulance-chasing lawyers claims for 1000’s of pounds of injury (he banged his knee on the door of my near stationary car)
    on the other hand, maybe the pedestrian should just go on an advanced driving course, that’ll sort it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

does your go pro clone to auto overwrite of oldest file ?

the system only works if its autonomous.

The one i linked to is fed up through the headlining , down the door piller and under the dash and wired to the ciggy lighter.

comes on automatically and self overwrites.

once in a while when i remember i give the card a formatting just as a courtesy .

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im assuming the troll would be happy to suck it up if someone drove into his car?
    If I had the choice between being able to effectively defend my self from someone trying to get me to accept a 50:50 scenario, guess which option I’d plump for?

agent007
    Free Member

I think you’re all missing the point. The ‘me first’ attitude created by nervous or self righteous obsessives filming everything is just fueling a culture of general mistrust and perceived danger in society.

People deserve the right to go about their daily business without others filming them all the time for god know’s what purpose.

How long before we all start wearing cameras on our chests just walking down the street, just in-case something happens or to film someone doing something we don’t agree with? Perhaps we could use that footage to report them to the authorities, shame them (bully them) on the internet or ‘sue the arse’ off them depending on your point of view.

Honestly, loose the paranoia people – there are risks in life, that’s life, but not everyone is out to get you!

teasel
    Free Member

Don’t feed it…!

🙂

teasel
    Free Member

My camera has a mic which I leave on. It’s clarified some contentious issues between me and my partner (I’m usually wrong, believe it or not!) as well as demonstrated that my memory of an event isn’t quite as accurate as I thought in the “heat of the moment”.

It’s also contributed to me driving a lot more carefully than I did prior to fitting. I think they have benefits that aren’t obvious until you review footage of your own driving and how you respond to certain stimuli in that situation. Self-awareness over and over and over…

It can be embarrassing.

Edit : Other uses – footage of a dangerous junction handed to local highway dept. Junction fixed. Yay!

retrorick

I’ve recently bought a Xaiomi yi dashcam. Easy to set up and use. Auto start when it is powered, auto off when powered down, loop records in 3 min files. Decent image. Bought the international version rather than the Chinese one from a well known online retailer.

Stuck on windscreen behind the mirror, it is visible but not overly so.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have never looked at mine since fitting other than a check that its still working (by checking the last file times correspond with the time it was last driven) i certainly dont watch it over and critique my driving or worse still upload to youtube or faceache.

teasel
    Free Member

worse still upload to youtube or faceache.

That’s where it fails IMO. Not necessary.

Watching your own driving is a learning experience, Trail Rat. Over and over isn’t compulsory… 🙂

wolfenstein
    Free Member

eurocarparts has some deals last time i’ve checked

PS dont feed the troll

STATO
    Free Member

agent007 – Member

it’s making society rely on cameras to spy on other people rather than encourage individuals to take on responsibility for their own actions.

Clearly 007 is just annoyed at being made redundant by technology, with only a martini stirrer leaving present for all his efforts over the years?

agent007
    Free Member

Ah, so any opinion that disagrees from your own gets dismissed as ‘trolling’ now then? Right . . . okay then . . . 🙄

STATO
    Free Member

You are entitled to an opinion, wording it such that you purposefully insult people who have chosen to buy one (for non ‘self righteous’ reasons) is obviously going to only get one type of response.

Act like a tit, get treated like a tit. Pretty obvious no?

eskay

Bookmarked

Twodogs

Also suggesting that people only need dashcams because they can’t drive properly is trolling….or being a tit

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

spy on other people rather than encourage individuals to take on responsibility for their own actions.

guy pulls out of traffic without indicating and hits me just behind my rear wheel, then tries to claim i’d pulled over and hit him and he had 3 witnesses to that in his car. I invited him to review the footage on my dashcam, he backpedalled. dashcam encouraged him to take responsibility for his actions, not some self-rightoeous ****wittery about advanced driving lessons that don’t actually make the rest of the world better drivers.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Ah, so any opinion that disagrees from your own gets dismissed as ‘trolling’ now then?

no but trolling does.

richmtb

Honestly, loose the paranoia people – there are risks in life, that’s life, but not everyone is out to get you!

True, but driving is actually about this most dangerous activity most people take part in. If people want a dashcam then let them.

You might be grateful for a truly impartial witness one day

jimw that story is utterly tragic 😥

agent007
    Free Member

Sorry chaps would love to debate all day on this but gotta leave work now to drive home in rush hour traffic perfectly happily in my non-dashcam equipped car.

But wait! Jeesss, have I thought this through, I feel nervous already, what if something happens? How will I prove who’s at fault? How will I gather sufficient evidence for my compensation? Maybe I should take the train, but there isn’t one, arghhh!!!

STATO
    Free Member

Shirly you can just deploy the smoke screen or something so you can escape any traffic?

What a tit (agenttroll) ^

I’ve now got a dashcam, as it would have saved a right pain in the arris with the insurance company, the last time a car full of teenagers came round a corner sideways and stopped dead in the front of my pick-up and had to be cut out by the fire brigade. Police didn’t even breathalise me for a good hour, wrote a statement saying I clearly wasn’t at fault, yet their insurers tried to argue that it never even happened. This was 2 years ago and still not resolved…

bails

How long before we all start wearing cameras on our chests just walking down the street, just in-case

Honestly, loose the paranoia people

Brilliant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Dash Cameras’ is closed to new replies.