Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Darwen Moor Ride/Route Suggestions?
  • dewihow
    Free Member

Darwen Moor near Blackburn is one of my local spots for riding but I feel like I’m running short on new routes. Does anyone have any suggestions for new or lesser known routes or sections of trail round here or in Roddlesworth woods?

I stumbled across the photo below on an old thread (apologies for photo steal, will remove if requested) and was wondering if anyone could tell me where this is or even point to it on a map? Somewhere in Roddlesworth but not sure where.

chakaping
    Free Member

Others will know the area better but I’d say just head out round the resi and start exploring the woods. Plenty of stuff to ride but all quite short.

lowey

Bloody Hell… thats Jo and Tom. Not seen them for years. Bet Vortexracing from here took that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tops5
    Free Member

Looks like (what we call) F15 in Tockholes Woods where they meet the reservoir

tops5
    Free Member

Pah! Too late to edit:

Just checked on Google Maps – I’m pretty sure that you’ll find it at the Western end of Lower Roddlesworth Reservoir.

There’s some ace tracks all along that shore

I would attach a screen capture if I knew how

MadBillMcMad

difficult to suggest routes when we have no idea what you know, but here are a few ideas of local rides.

Do you cross over the road & head around Withnell Moor, over Great Hill – that’s a good loop. The descent from Great Hill will be getting a tad biggy now though 🙂

Or drop down to White Coppice, then around to Winter Hill, or traverse the Anglezarke Moor ridge & then down to Belmont.

Or the Witton Weavers way tracks aroung Turton Moor, over to Entwistle.

dewihow
    Free Member

Cheers for that, yep I always thought there were a few options round that way I’d missed. I’ll have to do some exploring next time I’m out.

Edit: Yeah I appreciate its difficult when I didn’t state what I already know! I’ve done the Witton Weavers way before and linked up to Rivington Pike via Belmont as well. Need to check out Great Hill and over to White Coppice, I’d thought it was mainly footpaths round there but if not I’ll have to dig out an OS map and sort a route.

MrSparkle

Mate, it’s virtually ALL footpaths anyway. Be discrete and use your loaf. There’s some good stuff in that area. I’d show you myself but I’m on out of action for the time being.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Need to check out Great Hill and over to White Coppice, I’d thought it was mainly footpaths round there but if not I’ll have to dig out an OS map and sort a route.

Dont try most of it this time of year as it will be pretty boggy so you really need to get a local to show you round

As Parkle notes I would be careful at weekends due to the number of walkers as it is almost al cheeky

I am more over Rivvy way so I dont know that way very well anyway except for the route up to the Tower

dewihow
    Free Member

Yeah fair point, I’m sure I might have found myself riding on a footpath once or twice… like you say the key is discretion.

I don’t get out on the mtb anywhere near as much as I’d like but next time I’ll take the time to piece together a new route before I head out. Cheers all.

jonnym92

As said it’s the part where the woods meet the bridge which goes over the overflow from the first reservoir. It’s short, steep and rooty. In fact the picture shows all the ‘trail’.

There are a lot of cheeky off track lines in the woods, pretty pointless riding them with this rain though. Look on Strava for the segments. Generally in this weather I would advise sticking to the paths.

*my mistake ignore 😉

You can link a ride from Roddlesworth to White Coppice very easily, take in a lap of Healey Nab whilst you’re at it and head back. I probably have a strava link to a ride somewhere if that would help? Drop me an email.

One of my favorite descents is White Coppice. But it is a footpath and I would not do it in peak walking season!

Do not bother with the Great Hill descent.. will be properly boggy now.

chakaping
    Free Member

There are some nice lines in Brinscall woods too, but I think it is walkers only..

No, no. I’m sure you must be mixing it up with somewhere else. Nothing there at all.

flashpaul
    Free Member

There’s a decent route over the moors, turton golf club , last drop village , strawbury duck and then back over the moors , should be on viewranger , search for strawbury duck

duncancallum

I’d just get in your car n drive to grizedale or llandegla.

Nowt worth bothering with.

dewihow
    Free Member

As said it’s the part where the woods meet the bridge which goes over the overflow from the first reservoir.

Cheers for that, I know exactly where you mean now.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Yes, that picture looks like the short path that runs straight down the contours from the doubletrack to the bridge at the end of the dam wall, here:
    streetmap

Looks like an old picture as its eroded a big since then and the roots are more exposed now.
    That’s more of an “interesting feature” than a route though. Just follow your nose around the reservoirs and link it up with Darwen Tower and Tockholes area.
    We ride that area fairly regularly as a Wednesday night outing from Abbey Village. email in profile if you want a guided tour.

Vortexracing

Bet Vortexracing from here took that

sure did Lowey 😀

it’s a small chute here, from the main wide track down to the edge of the lake

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BEYQXw]Picture2[/url] by eastham_david, on Flickr

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Darwen Moor Ride/Route Suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.