Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Dartmoor Wild Camping
  • SprocketJockey
    Free Member

We’re planning a mini family adventure over the summer. Plan is to pick a nice weekend and ride out to somewhere scenic in the wilds of Dartmoor with some lightweight camping kit. Stay overnight and head home the following morning.

Route out and back needs to be doable with child seat and / or trailer rather than super techie (I was wondering about some of the old tramways or military roads). Camping spot scenic with good views – if it’s close to somewhere nice for a dip then it’s a bonus.

Anyone done something similar, or have any recommended routes or spots?

slugwash
    Free Member

Around the Avon Dam, maybe? There’s a gentle tarmaced traffic free road up towards it and some gentle (in most places) trails around the water itself.

Or, if you’re feeling more adventurous, the Old Puffing Billy tram line up to Redlake. Eight miles there and fairly gentle, except at the start where it’s a bit steeper, with a cracking ride back down the next morning & plenty of great views & camping options at the top.

Redlake

Get googling for more info.

PS: You can have a dip in the streams above the Avon Dam but I’m not sure about the ‘pond’ at Redlake. It looks a bit like it might contain contaminants from its mining heritage. Also, the area around the Avon Dam is quite popular at times so it won’t exactly be wild during the hours of daylight but it’s a great camping spot and easily accessible 🙂

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Thanks for that, will check out both tips. We’re moving to N Dartmoor so I was also looking at that area.

The area N of Postbridge along the East Dart River looks like it may have a few spots. It’s rideable from our new place so may have to do an early recce when we get down there next month.

carlphillips
    Free Member

check out potato cave near cuckoo rock, northern end of burrator reservoir, tiny little cave entrance but room for quite a few people in, next to a little ‘babbling brook’. can dig out grid ref if needed, path out is good too. bivvied there loads of times and its ace,

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Excellent – another one to check out. Thanks for that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor Wild Camping’ is closed to new replies.