• This topic has 15 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by spev.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Dartmoor Primal 29?? Anyone have/ridden one?
  • ads678

I have everything but a frame to build up a 29er HT. I’m probably going to buy a Cotic Solaris, or Stanton Sherpa if the new stock of solaris’s’s’s is radically different, but I saw the Dartmoor mentioned on another thread and it is much cheaper! Is it any good though, surely it can’t be cheap and good can it??

jruk
    Free Member

This doesn’t help but I’m in a similar position to you and was put off the Pirmal by a) short reach [url=http://dartmoor-bikes.com/sites/default/files/documents/2016_Dartmoor_MTB_frames_geometry.pdf]420mm on a large[/url] and b) the 135×10 rear axle.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a new solaris will be along soon-ish so fingers crossed they’ll add a boost rear end and a bit more to the reach.

core

Why the desire for boost?

jruk
    Free Member

@core – I don’t *need* boost but if I’m buying a new frame, forks and wheels, I want to buy the latest “standard”. Cotic have moved the Soul to Boost so I’m guessing the Solaris will go that way soon.

thepodge
    Free Member

I looked at these before and decided that their 650b+ model (if it will take 29) was longer lower and slacker for the same seat tube length and hence more up my street.

Having said that, they now look exactly the same.

ads678

I asked Cotic when they will have new stock of the solaris and if there will be any changes. They said they will have new stock in about 4 weeks and said there are a few changes but couldn’t tell me what they are yet.

I’d prefer non boost as I already have wheels but don’t mind a thru axle or QR really. If they get some QR’s and sell them cheaper like they are doing with the soul i’d have one of them!!

psycorp
    Free Member

I have the Primal+ and it’ll take 29er wheels/tyres. I’ve been running it for about 6 months on 3″ Bridgers and absolutely love it. For the money it’s fab.

I didn’t know there was much of a geometry difference between the 29 and the plus version but the large is perfect for me. For reference I also run a large Aeris and a large OO Fatty.

Email in profile if you’d like to know anything else.

deviant
    Free Member

I have a Dartmoor Hornet, yes they can be that good and that cheap….just demonstrates for me how much the bike industry is ripping us off!

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have a Dartmoor Primal 29 in Large frame for sale

Lazy Link

I now have a Primal+ running 3.0NN, can’t beat the VFM.

spev

What’s the standover like on the primal plus? I tried a large parkwood and even with my 32″ inseam (I’m 5ft9) I needed Elton John’s 70S boots

psycorp
    Free Member

What’s the standover like on the primal plus? I tried a large parkwood and even with my 32″ inseam (I’m 5ft9) I needed Elton John’s 70S boots

I’m a smidge under 6′ on a large Primal+ and I’ve not noticed/thought about the standover clearance, so it must be fine.

EDIT Although I’ve just noticed you’re a bit shorter than me. If you want me to measure the clearance on mine let me know.

lukeryan
    Free Member

I have owned a Primal 29 for about 6 months now and it’s great. Just over 6ft and riding a medium frame. Reach is a little short, but similar to an 18″ Scandal I had before. Running it with a 140mm Yari and it’s coped with everything I’ve thrown at it.

spev

Psycorp if you could yes that would be tremendous. It’s odd that,although i’m 5’9″ i’ve got longer legs than my mate whos 6’1″, i’ve currently got a large Banshee Prime which is about 760mm so ideally i’d like it to be around there somewhere, the large Parkwood is 840mm which is mental high really.

psycorp
    Free Member

@spev

No problem mate. It’s quite a sloping TT so I’ll measure it in a couple of places when I get home tonight to give you an idea.

psycorp
    Free Member

@Spev

TT at its lowest point (where it meets the seat rube brace) is 72cm high, approx the midpoint of the TT is 82cm high. My bike is running 3″ Bridgers with 140mm Fox 34 29er fork.

Hope that helps.

spev

cheers Psycorp , i’ll measure my Banshee Prime when i get in later so i have a proper numbers comparison, the banshee is pretty good but I’m not sure what the actual measurement is

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor Primal 29?? Anyone have/ridden one?’ is closed to new replies.