Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dartmoor night ride – Princetown Burrator loop, anyone do it?
  • aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

Morning..
    Just thinking about heading up onto the moor for some night rides with some mates, and thought this might be a good loop. Just wondering if any other Dartmoor regulars had done this? I’m guessing the ‘Widow Maker’ might be interesting… but the rest of it should be great I’d have thought?
    Cheers

Ad

jam-bo

watch out for cold,grumpy squaddies.

bgd
    Free Member

Do it quite regularly in one form or another. Always wave to the squaddies at the top of the widowmaker and bottom of the scout hut.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

ah, hadn’t thought about the squaddies! cheers for the tip!

natrix
    Free Member

Squaddies love it when you shine your 4000 chinese lumen lights right into their beady little eyes 😆

zerocool

Did it a couple of years ago in the dark, wasn’t to bad. Not sure what The Widowmaker is, but the rocky descent wasn’t particularly fast compared to normal although jumping the drainage ditches coming down the far side was fun.

Must get back and try again now bike lights have become so powerful (used old halogen lights last time). To be honest there are probably nicer rides to do on Dartmoor at night

eviljoe
    Free Member

We often do Bennett’s cross to Grimspound as a night ride, that works nicely. Princetown is OK, but watch out for the bike eating bogs around South Henessey Tor!

crispybacon
    Free Member

yep, regularly ride on Dartmoor/Burrator at night. The conditions are superb at present with the trails being dry, for a change try riding up the widowmaker, it’s not as hard as it used to be as the top section has been sanitised with infill & is almost smooth 🙁 still good fun riding up it.

For some extra excitment after riding down the first steep section of the widowmaker ride along the Devonport Leat to the aquaduct 🙂 & don’t forget the TV mast descent off North Hessary Tor another must on a Princetown loop.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

kind of figured this would be a good night ride as a lot of the bridleways up on the moor are hard enough to see in the daylight. done this loop plenty of times and it’s hard to get wrong really. good way to break my night riding duck i reckon anyway, then on to lustleigh cleave..
    proper good conditions at the moment, so nice and dry and crisp. yey!

yunki
    Free Member

Can I just give you my opinion on night riding in Lustleigh Cleave..

Try not to get eaten by wolves/bears/sharkpigs etc

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

wolves vs. squaddies ???

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor night ride – Princetown Burrator loop, anyone do it?’ is closed to new replies.