Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dartmoor National Park routes
  • overthehandlebar
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

I’ve been exploring many of the routes suggested in historical posts over the last few weeks and have been having an absolute blast.

I’d to widen my repertoire and therefore I have a specific question regarding a trail near Grimspound or to be precise Hameldown Tor. Can you cycle from Hameldown Tor in a north to south direction along Hamel Down ridge before dropping down towards Widecombe? It looks on paper as though it would be great?

It shows a track rather than a footpath on the OS map but I vaguely remember reading a very old post that suggested it was frowned upon by the Rangers?

Thanks in advance.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Anything not on an actual Bridleway will be frowned on by the rangers.

That’s why I never do it 🙂

jam-bo

i’ve done the descent from Broad barrow to two Barrows and then turned right down to the road. Was a long time ago but i seem to remember it being alright.

overthehandlebar
    Free Member

Even if it’s shown as “other road, drive or track”? I realise it’s not designated a bridle path but the road/track bit suggests something more to me ?

jam-bo

Cyclists are welcome to use the following routes:

Public bridleways
    Byways open to all traffic
    Unclassified County Roads
    Designated Cycle Routes – Granite Way, Princetown Railway, Wray Valley Trail
    However, under the Dartmoor Commons Act 1985, cycling on the open moorland or common land is not permitted unless on a designated bridleway or permitted route. Please see the Dartmoor Commons factsheet for further information.

To help you plan great routes on and around Dartmoor, the Dartmoor and Surrounding Area for Cyclists map is invaluable. This tough, detailed waterproof map shows cycle routes for off-roading or touring.

The map is available to buy from the National Park Visitor Centres.

of course, like hamish. I never do it either.

overthehandlebar
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’ll be a good boy as well then.

thepurist

The trouble with dartmoor is that often the os maps don’t really align that we’ll with the tracks on the ground, so it’s not uncommon to get a bit lost.

jam-bo

which is my excuse too…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor National Park routes’ is closed to new replies.