Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dartmoor locals – bivvying near firing range when it's active??
  • aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

Evening. I’d been planning on heading out for a cheeky mid-week bivvy tomorrow night, out near higher white tor, just north of Wistman’s woods. now I’ve just checked the info on the firing ranges, and they’re firing and exercising day and night tommorrow in the merrivale range, just to the west of my planned bivvy spot. now I’m not actually going to be within the exercise area, but just wondering if I’ll kept up all night wactching fireworks? anyone else done something similar?

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

bump for any potential daytime helpers.
    lovely day out there.sigh…

jam-bo

there was lots of activity yesterday evening, a couple of hercules buzzed us climbing out of burrator.

when I drove over the moors this morning there was a radio station setup at the rundlestone and a large encampment setup nr dunnabrige.

so yes, they are pretty active.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Google “bullet drizzle “

Range danger areas are calculated using statistical analysis and assumptions that the rifle etc is pointed at the target +- not a lot. 😉

crispybacon
    Free Member

Not bivvied up there but it depends on what they are firing.

I was riding south of Burrator once & I could clearly hear them firing on the ranges north/west of Princetown – Christ only knows what they were lobbing around up there 🙁 if they are live firing then expect to have a sleepless night or try to bivvy somewhere else Belliver woods, Burrator??

ontor
    Free Member

It won’t be a problem so long as you stay clear of the range. Depending on what they are doing it might be light-up with flares, bangs and pops though. That said, sometimes they’re quite quiet.

natrix
    Free Member

ear plugs??

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

aye, won’t actually be in the range area, but about a km to the east. been wanting to explore that bit of the moor for ages, proper feeling of isolation. prob head out there for a long walk and see what happens… not like I was anticipating a cracking nights sleep anyway.
    cheers for the thoughts chaps!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor locals – bivvying near firing range when it's active??’ is closed to new replies.