Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Darkside winter tyres?
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Any recommendations? Grip without compromising too much on rolling ability and weight?

Running Vittoria Diamante Pros right now, not sure whether they would be ok? een looking at Schwalbe Durano plus.

What do you lot run in the dark wet months?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Paves 🙂

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Paves

aP
    Free Member

GP4Season

oldgit
    Free Member

Diamantes are the next step down racing tyre from Corsa’s, but I’ve known people run them all year just because that’s what was on their bike.

You’ll see a theme develop with tyres on this post, two above are corkers though. Personally I just use fat Rubinos.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Vredestein Fortezza Senso Xtreme Weather

singletrackmind

Conti GP4000 4 season

Personally I run a 25c , lightly treaded and before the ‘know it all’s’ start on about aquaplaning I know and can read Sheldon Brown but a little tread is confidence inspiring

Not especially heavy and roll OK, also more importantly puncture resistant and dont absorb flints as the carcas is on the harder side

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Cheers guys, think I’ll head for paves.

wilburt
    Free Member

Thick un’s go for 250 to 300 grams.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Paves for me now after a couple of winters on 4 seasons. Prefer the Paves.

lunge

This, cracking tyres IMO.

Haze

Still on GP4000 as I had a pair kicking around that weren’t going to get used…heard good things about the Pave, will be looking to switch soon.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Slight hijack, any prefererences for tubeless versions?

cheekyget
    Free Member

+1000…… I’ve got these now…I wish I changed to these years ago…

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Depends on your mileage and also the weather.

Paves dont last long and you have to keep on top of the wear otherwise you’ll be getting alot of flats. They ride nicely but if i used them throughout the winter i’d end up spending more on tyres over the course of a winter than what the bike cost!

GP4Season i like and they are longer lasting. However IME a bit prone to punctures with glass though in the wet so for my winter road bike i use Durano Plus, good puncture protection, not too heavy and not awful riding either.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Checked the reviews on the paves and the vredenstein xtreme weathers, and went for the latter in the end. A review from a local shop, on the same roads I ride couldn’t speak highly enough of them so that sealed it for me.

trickydisco
    Free Member

25mm Michelin pro4 endurance. Commute all year round on these. had 1 puncture in over 1000 miles.

globalti
    Free Member

Veloflex open Corsas – supremely comfortable and the cross-hatched tread and natural rubber make them grippy in the wet. I’ll never use another tyre.

£52 a pair from Ribble.

schmiken

27c Paves. Clinchers on the commuter, tubulars on the nice bike.

MoreCashThanDash

25mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance here as well. Year round, I’m lazy like that.

aether531
    Free Member

+1 for Paves. Now they come in all black too.

schmiken

I much prefer the green stripes, hate the new green sidewalls!

edhornby

I have non matching tyres on the commuter because a posh one on the rear gets silly wjjen they burn out so fast. I use gatorskin on the rear (not grippy enough for front). Not decided on the next front, maybe a pave…

simondbarnes

+1000…… I’ve got these now…I wish I changed to these years ago…

They only came out last year 🙂 Ace tyres though.

matts
    Free Member

Crikey. Some of you lot must be minted. I run Open Pavés on my *race* bike. They’d be destroyed in a month of winter use.

I use Randonneurs on my Winter/Training bike.

simondbarnes

Some of you lot must be minted

Maybe some of us want grip in winter when the roads are more slippery? I’d rather use a cheap tyre in summer than winter given the choice.

matts
    Free Member

IMHO I don’t think there’s much, if any, difference in the grip afforded by the rubber compound of the Pavé vs the Randonneur. The Pavé rides better as the casing is much more supple, and the tread is much thinner.

Of course, we didn’t define what ‘winter use’ was. If it’s a 20 mile jaunt to the cafe on a sunny winter Sunday, then Pavés would be perfect. But from experience, they don’t hold up well a few hundred ks a week of daily commuting and training in rain, wind, and snow. YMMV.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I needed this thread earlier! Fitted new mudguards to the commuter/winter bike and there wasn’t enough clearance for my 25mm gatorskins. Looked at a few but ended up plumping for 23mm gatorskins as I was pretty happy with them.

munkster
    Free Member

Slight hijack, any prefererences for tubeless versions?

I’ve gone for Hutchinson Intensives (25mm). I asked a similar question on BR and sort of got this as an answer. Am going to give them a go this winter, not got them yet.

scaredypants

Intensives are OK – not a patch on schwalbe ones (currently unavailable due to new model coming out) for grip or comfiness IMO, but seem very durable. I don’t do massive miles so will stay on the schwalbe or something like them

I like tubeless as an option generally and probably especially in winter – fixing flats on a filthy bike in pissing rain isn’t my idea of a good time

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Of course, we didn’t define what ‘winter use’ was.

A few laps of Richmond Park in the mornings before work 3-4 days a week and anything from 50-100 miles on the surrey hills at the weekends. I intend to put a few miles in this winter.

My main concern would be puncture resistance and grip on some of those surrey hills descents.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Paves for me for grip, feel and rolling resistance. They’re not quite as puncture resistant as a true winter tyre, but the other things are more important to me.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I imagine you’ll find a few places with ’em still but do Vittoria still do the Pave? Was just looking at their site the other day and they’ve changed heir line up. Corsa is now called the “Corsa” or “Corsa Speed”. Corsa seems to be a harder wearing nice tyre and Corsa Speed is the all out racing tyre.

garvaldnights
    Free Member

I’m running 27 mm challenge Paris roubaixs on my winter bike. They are fast, grip well and soak up the crappy road buzz you get round here.

vincienup
    Free Member

GPs until it’s time for spikes then out with the Nokians.

Might try the 4season GP4000s or Vittoria’s next time. GP’s are cheap and decent though. 🙂

Bez

I use GP4000Ss all year round. I see no reason to change, really. At least until it gets properly icy and/or snowy, when I tend to use Winter Contact Premiums with the fancy compound; but until I had them I seemed to be fine on normal summer tyres.

FuzzyWuzzy

Either GP4Seasons or Schwalbe Ones for me, I don’t change tyres specifically for winter though.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Darkside winter tyres?’ is closed to new replies.